Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:41:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rolando Simmons (where Drexciya meets Aphex ft. Daniel Lopatin)

Started by Sheffield Wednesday, March 06, 2020, 03:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheffield Wednesday

The title is as good a description as I can give, in all honesty. This guy popped up on a Spotify algorithm and I immediately went down the rabbit hole. He's not released a tonne of music but a couple of EPs and two albums since 2015 gives me plenty to get my teeth into. It's all very consistent, as well, despite touching on some different sounds along the way.

My favourite is probably 2017's World Building album which is often predominantly ambient with swells of acid electro to keep things evolving. Despite the influences, he's also clearly got his own distinct sound.

I would recommend Free Analogue as a good taster: https://youtu.be/htqCj6sih88

He does get intermittently more abstract and also drops in a couple of relatively straight-ahead bangers, too. This next track, Total Annihilation, combines a little bit of both and something which almost reminds me of 80s pop, but not quite in the hypnogogic/vaporwave approximation.

This is off his eponymous debut EP: https://youtu.be/LB0qTj5tlPw

Let me know if you enjoy Rolando Simmons so I can believe in the butterfly effect.

alan nagsworth

Ah, this chap is on my friend's label, I've been meaning to get around to this as they have a pretty strong artist roster. Downloaded for a listen on the morrow, will report back. Ta!

JohnnyCouncil

Thanks for posting this thread. I've been listening to World Building on and off for over a year and you reminded me I needed to get the record on vinyl. It's excellent. In case you were not aware (I wasn't) he released Summer Diary 1 last year and the follow up is out in a couple of weeks, £60 down but worth every penny.

Shaky

This is some lovely stuff, so cheers. I got a bit annoyed when my initial search of "Ronaldo" Simmons didn't yield any results, though.