Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:27:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cricket thread 2020: executing our skillsets

Started by sevendaughters, March 06, 2020, 05:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

Here's the England schedule for the coming year, as well as some other dates. Busy year!

IN SRI LANKA
MAR 7-9 vs. Sri Lanka Cricket XI (three-day friendly)
MAR 12-15 vs. Sri Lanka Board President's XI (first-class)
MAR 19-24 vs. Sri Lanka @ Galle (first test)
MAR 27-31 vs. Sri Lanka @ Colombo (second test)

APRIL 12 - COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP COMMENCES

vs. WEST INDIES
MAY 22-25 @ Worcester - England Lions v WI XI (first class)
MAY 28-31 @ Worcester - Worcestershire v WI XI (first class)
JUN 4-8 @ Oval (first test)
JUN 12-16 @ Edgbaston (second test)
JUN 25-29 @ Lord's (third test)

vs. AUSTRALIA
JUL 3 @ Durham (T20)
JUL 5 @ Old Trafford (T20)
JUL 7 @ Headingley (T20)
JUL 11 @ Lord's (ODI)
JUL 14 @ Rose Bowl (ODI)
JUL 16 @ Bristol (ODI)

JULY 17-AUGUST 15 - THE INAUGURAL "HUNDRED" TOURNAMENT

vs. PAKISTAN
JUL 30-AUG 3 @ Lord's (first test)
AUG 7-11 @ Old Trafford (second test)
AUG 20-24 @ Trent Bridge (third test)
AUG 29 @ Headingley (T20)
AUG 31 @ Cardiff (T20)
SEP 2 @ Southampton (T20)

vs. IRELAND
SEP 10 @ Trent Bridge (ODI)
SEP 12 @ Edgbaston (ODI)
SEP 15 @ Oval (ODI)

T20 WORLD CUP IN AUSTRALIA
OCT 26 vs. qualifier (Perth)
OCT 30 vs. South Africa (SCG)
NOV 1 vs. India (MCG)
NOV 4 vs. Afghanistan (Brisbane)
NOV 7 vs. qualifier (Adelaide)

Not enough to whet your appetite? Here's Jack Leach recalling the halcyon days of fellow left arm tweaker Ashley Giles in an AFL style vest that doesn't quite work.

sevendaughters

new tour! new Denly!

Denly   c Sarathchandra   b Gamage   32   

Inspector Norse

Root also starting as he means to go on, out for a breezy 78. 50 for Buttler though. Looking at their stats the opposition are a proper Sri Lanka A side rather than the inexperienced youngsters some countries send out for the warm-ups.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Mm, standard is OK but I hate these games where there are about 10 batsmen. Much as I hate the prospect of Jennings, what replication of test conditions is it coming in at 8 in a warm up. I mean, he is pretty much the standard of a mediocre number 8 test batsman these days.

Inspector Norse

Yeah, I reckon away performances started to decline around the same time as countries stopped playing proper first-class warm-ups. You look at tours in the '90s and sides like Sri Lanka would come to England two months before the tests started and play half the counties in warm-up games.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Lol, Australia whitewashed by SA in the one dayers. Pretty shite given their batting lineup contains Finch, Warner, Smith and Labuschagne.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 07, 2020, 05:32:34 PM
Lol, Australia whitewashed by SA in the one dayers. Pretty shite given their batting lineup contains Finch, Warner, Smith and Labuschagne.

They seem a bit behind the times in ODIs, though: only really Warner and Finch who can score at a modern rate (and Maxwell but he's really unreliable), the rest all chug along at 4 an over.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Harry Badger

Anyone got tickets for the Hundred yet? I'm very sceptical about it achieving its stated goals of getting more people into cricket but at £8 a pop I thought it reasonable to go along and see for myself.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Hoping it fails bigger than anything that's ever happened. Cheers.

sevendaughters

obviously warm-up games throw out a lot of false signs but i. looks like Bess & Parkinson for the first test? and ii. Crawley, whose test S/R thus far is in the 40s, has gone nearly run-a-ball opening both innings. That said he didn't do very well on the Lions tour.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: sevendaughters on March 07, 2020, 10:06:25 AM
new tour! new Denly!

Denly   c Sarathchandra   b Gamage   32   

He got another chance in the second innings.

JL Denly c Perera b Karunaratne 27

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Woakesy hiding from failure concentrating on England apparently and not playing IPL. Right decision but the timing raises some skepticism. Almost like he only wanted to be in the auction to look the big man.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 11, 2020, 06:22:04 PM
Woakesy hiding from failure concentrating on England apparently and not playing IPL. Right decision but the timing raises some skepticism. Almost like he only wanted to be in the auction to look the big man.

someone has hacked Medeski Anderson, Martin Archer, and Wood's prognoses and realises what side his bread is buttered on!

sevendaughters

Denly   c Ranasinghe   b P Jayasuriya   26

LOLOLOLOL

sevendaughters

Parkinson takes a wicket and they cancel the game, WHO conspiracy!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Fuck sake, tour GONE

Everyone will just pick it up from the hotel and the flight home instead and return to a country where it is more widespread, all round win.

Quote from: sevendaughters on March 06, 2020, 05:40:58 PM
Here's the England schedule for the coming year, as well as some other dates. Busy year!

IN SRI LANKA
OFF

APRIL 12 - COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP COMMENCES
MAYBE STILL ON WITH A CROWD LIMIT OF THREE BLOKES AND A DOG

vs. WEST INDIES
OFF

vs. AUSTRALIA
OFF

OFF

vs. PAKISTAN
OFF

vs. IRELAND
OFF

T20 WORLD CUP IN AUSTRALIA
OFF

Fixed.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on March 14, 2020, 04:25:01 PM
OFF

Silver linings etc

The schadenfreude if both this and Liverpool's title get cancelled may go a long way to curing corona and reviving society

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Some of those tails were suicidal. Russell and Watkinson at 6 and 7 vs Donald and Pollock is absolutely hilarious.

If Atherton and Thorpe didn't make runs in every single innings we would basically lose, and did do repeatedly. Illingworth was a fucking clown. Some interesting insights in Ather's book.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteOr to remind Mark Ramprakash of his catatonic response to Mike Atherton's first-ball lbw - when such accidents happen, Test No. 3s tend to rise above them, rather than run themselves out off the first scoring shot of the innings.

Worth a reminder when considering Ramps reaction (not to mention dismal personal record) that Atherton received a virtually unplayable offcutter that pitched a foot outside off.

https://youtu.be/cmat224iTrA

The run out, fucking hell

Has there ever been a greater spell of fast bowling? However, I think some of those clean bowleds were to straight balls, even Alec Stewart.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on March 17, 2020, 10:30:15 AM
Has there ever been a greater spell of fast bowling? However, I think some of those clean bowleds were to straight balls, even Alec Stewart.

Just watching that and Stewart's shot was absolutely revolting. Reminded me of a certain other English wicketkeeper-batsman with a weakness to balls on the stumps.

No professional cricket before May 28 (source: Andrew Miller, Twitter).

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Been watching The Test on Prime

Highly recommended even if you detest many of the Australian team and coaches as I do.

As with a lot of series it focuses on struggle and setbacks which as an England fan is gold dust. You get to see Australia lose A LOT.

Also seeing them throw away their lip service to being Good People when it suits them. As you'd expect from a team coaches by a moralising little hypocrite like Justin Langer, who is, by the way, a total weirdo.

Some decent guys though - Finch, Stoinis, Cummins, Hazelwood, Khawaja (single minded, respect). In their own ways you could imagine having a normal conversation with them. Very level headed and not the arrogance of several of the others.

Just got to the episode of Warner and Smith's reintegration and christ.. the cunt level just went back up to a recognisably 'ah yes this is Australia' feeling.

The level of backstage access is incredible and I think anyone playing should watch it as it totally demystifies it. It would be interesting to see what the 90s England side documentary would have been like. A cricket version of Graham Taylor's I suppose.