Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:16:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cricket thread 2020: executing our skillsets

Started by sevendaughters, March 06, 2020, 05:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iamcoop

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 25, 2021, 01:32:41 PM
They have opened the bowling with Joe Root ffs. I know Bess bowled 5 full tosses to Kohli but perhaps he shouldn't be thrown to the wolves. Also, the tests he is playing in we keep winning.

I agree and personally would persevere with Bess. He's only young and I think he has it in him to become a good spinner but judging by the result that's going to happen in this game I don't think England have selected that badly really. Again, it's the batting that's fucked us.

Our judgement on spin options has been clouded for a while now. I know Moeen's record as a spinner is good but he's made it clear he doesn't want to be our frontline spinner so that should've been enough to give someone else a proper run. We either need to pick The Bald Destroyer or Bess and actually stick with them, even after the odd game where they take a battering.

But the overall rest/selection policy on this tour has been a fucking shambles and the writing was on the wall from the minute we decided to tell India a month in advance exactly which players would be available for each Test, let alone making four unnecessary changes from a team that hammered India in the first match. 

Burns needs to give cricket up and go back to playing guitar for Kings of Leon, Bairstow needs to be taken out the back and shot and Lawrence shouldn't be anywhere near a test team batting higher than 7. Sibley needs a lesson about the age of consent and access to the dressing room WiFi curbed ASAP.

poo

Dear Joe Rot and Team

Thank you for ruining my Friday plans - a day in bed with a case of Westvleteren, bucket of Skips, The Cricket, and dildo - literally the only thing I have been looking forward to for about a year.

I hope you die of the corona virus.

Best wishes,

Cunt

sevendaughters

Difficult Second Album by The Bowling of Joe Root

Norton Canes

Hang on! It's a draw!

QuoteJonathan Agnew

BBC cricket correspondent on The Cricket Social

"I honestly believe that doing this job we're on the side of Test cricket - we bat for Test cricket because we love it, and big believers of it, and it is under pressure at the moment and has been for a number of years. This is not a good advert for Test cricket. It is not good for the broadcasters - they have been short changed for three days. Nobody wins from two-day Test matches."

Phew. Was worried for a while.

Harry Badger

I wonder how Indian fans react when they get skittled on English greentops.

Pranet

That's a scorecard out of the 1820s. Hambledon vs the Duke of Buckingham's XI or something.

I was really busy today and didn't even check the score till after it was over. I'm glad as I don't think I would have been able to totally prevent myself feeling a few glimmers of hope before England's second innings. 

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Harry Badger on February 25, 2021, 04:21:44 PM
I wonder how Indian fans react when they get skittled on English greentops.

This game was a bit different. The second test was a good argument to use that for because 2 Indian batsmen scored centuries on a pitch that was supposedly poor.

Also you can't defend any test match that completes 4 innings inside 2 days. You just can't.

Inspector Norse

It goes without saying that India are much better at bowling and facing spin than England, and they got their tactics and preparation and selection right while England went into the game under the bizarre belief that India would happily prep a pitch that favoured the seamers.

None of that affects the fact that the pitch was throwing up dust devils and handbrake turns before drinks in the very first session, while other balls seemed to hit the deck and suddenly blast straight at the stumps.

I'd be astonished if it didn't get a "poor" rating from the ICC, but given that those ratings and consequent penalties only affect the venue and not the board or team, I'd be equally astonished if India gave a shit.

buttgammon

At least we can take a little bit of pleasure from a ground that's named after a nasty little despot and that hosted a big Trump rally getting a kicking.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

All zimbabwe and afghanistan matches live on freesports for the next 3 years.

No mention of whether this includes England games but such is the greed of the ECB it will probably be academic.

Pranet

They are replaying the day's play in the evening (it's on now).

sevendaughters

don't want to be too quick to anoint any ZIM players given their reputation but Blessing Muzarabani looks like a potentially good new ball bowler. Tall, easy action, looks quick without forcing it, had the AFG bats shitting theirself when it was in the corridor.

Harry Badger

Quote from: sevendaughters on March 02, 2021, 06:25:39 PM
don't want to be too quick to anoint any ZIM players given their reputation but Blessing Muzarabani looks like a potentially good new ball bowler. Tall, easy action, looks quick without forcing it, had the AFG bats shitting theirself when it was in the corridor.

Yes, he reminds me a little of pre-yips Steven Finn. His opening partner Nyauchi also looks a slippery customer.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Aghanistan slipping to an innings loss here. I probably overestimated them. With absolute sloggers like Hashamatullah getting in the test side, who looks rash even in odis, they don't really have a chance against Zimbabwe who have Williams who can bat properly and a few others who can scratch runs around him.

Inspector Norse

Could be a crushing here; Zimbabwe do have 2 previous innings victories, one against Pakistan (their first ever test victory) and one against Bangladesh, both in the glory days of Andy Flower and Heath Streak.

Inspector Norse

Haha, Cricinfo just written that after the India-England game last week was the shortest test for 86 years, this one will eclipse it if Afghanistan don't survive another 21 overs.

Harry Badger

Kieron Pollard just hit six sixes in an over from Dananjaya in the T20. This after going from 50/0 after 3.2 overs to 62/4, featuring a hat-trick from Dananjaya. West Indies radio commentators going ballistic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQLYqzWePCc

EDIT - out next ball!

Chedney Honks

30-3 at this point. Heard we sent out a couple of pairs of torn undies to open the batting.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Batting down to 8 and still winding up 78-4.

Inspector Norse

Abject bilge from England as per, can we just get this over with now and get back to playing at home on green-tops where the opposition's batting is as bad as ours, cheers

poo

Shoulders?-Stomach!

You always know when they talk themselves up in the press you're minutes away from the next total PAEDDOWN

I very much doubt India will throw their wickets away like we did. Stokes and especially Lawrence guilty of not going on. 275-300 was probably par on that.

iamcoop

Chedney Honks

Chemical castration is deemed 'inhumane and barbaric in the twenty-first century' by Amnesty International but 'very very effective' by 'Nige the Noncefinder General' at the Blue Lion.

I know who'd I'd rather have running the ECB.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Elgar to take over test captaincy of South Africa, Bavuma to take over the one day stuff.

Elgar is 33 so that is a real stopgap measure. Will it be Markram after him?