Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:57:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cricket thread 2020: executing our skillsets

Started by sevendaughters, March 06, 2020, 05:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

Quote from: Inspector Norse on April 24, 2021, 02:38:57 PM
Haseeb Hameed has scored a century!

absolutely made up. i love that kid. something went wrong after he broke his hand and Lancs handled him badly (like they do a lot of players). want more than anything for him to succeed and open for England again.

iamcoop

Quote from: sevendaughters on April 24, 2021, 04:34:55 PM
absolutely made up. i love that kid. something went wrong after he broke his hand and Lancs handled him badly (like they do a lot of players). want more than anything for him to succeed and open for England again.

I'm sure I read somewhere that his insistence on being primarily coached by his father ended up being to his detriment, as much as poor handling by Lancs.

Obviously the hand injury didn't help either.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Dom Bess bowling out Sussex is a good bounce back after the India series and a slow start to the season.

Harry Badger

Parkinson getting seven wickets to bowl out Kent is another good sign. Really hope he makes the grade.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Inspector Norse on April 24, 2021, 02:38:57 PM
Haseeb Hameed has scored a century!

And another!

I'd also read the rumours about his dad's coaching having an adverse effect, partly in that he tried to adapt his game for the shorter formats and ended up going full Bairstow. Would be great to see him back on track.

Some exciting county games coming to last-minute finishes now. Sam Hain, another England prospect, helping Warks pull off a good win at Essex. And Northants have blasted 360 in just 70 overs to beat Glamorgan.

sevendaughters

I'm not sure whether it was HH's dad or Lancs. The story goes that his dad was his sole coach and based on that got him playing for Lancs, but it was the pressure of needing to be seen as a runscorer that got him in a bit of a flap. 30-35 is just not a modern strike rate (Alastair Cook, the relative acme of contemporary defensive cricket, went at 45, Ken Barrington was 42, and Boycott himself was 35) and there were definitely times at Lancashire when he was good where he would take 80 balls to score a fairly insipid 17.

There's an argument to say you need players like that, that it eats into the bowlers, and when it comes together it is mind-numbing to bowl at. At Hameed's best he looked as impregnable as Smith did during the last Ashes. No less a compliment.

His injury also played a significant role. The series he had in India was the last time he was good until, well, this week. Some false dawns such as centuries in 2nd XI matches. Jofra Archer has done that and he is one of the worst England batsmen of the last 10 years.

Certainly being in another team and presumably being with Peter Moores and away from dad is doing something to repair his game.

Harry Badger

Quote from: Inspector Norse on April 25, 2021, 05:51:11 PM
And Northants have blasted 360 in just 70 overs to beat Glamorgan.

That was a real sickener, that reminded me just how toothless the Glamorgan attack is, the admirable Hogan aside. I watched it for an hour or so and it was just pies, pies, pies.

Quote from: sevendaughters on April 25, 2021, 07:09:20 PM
I'm not sure whether it was HH's dad or Lancs. The story goes that his dad was his sole coach and based on that got him playing for Lancs, but it was the pressure of needing to be seen as a runscorer that got him in a bit of a flap.

I'd heard that the relationship with his father had become rather toxic and that he had undue control. Really, really glad to see him blossom again and as you say, Moores is probably the best coach you could want for him. The total collapse in his form for Lancs was bizarre and disturbing.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Imagine Sibley and Hameed opening together. All time 1D block-a-thon. 22-3 at lunch.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Looks like Glamorgan might be getting Labuschagne and Neser over for them.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 26, 2021, 06:34:02 AM
Imagine Sibley and Hameed opening together. All time 1D block-a-thon. 22-3 at lunch.

... on the second day after being 14-0 at close on the first

Inspector Norse

Fans of names should check out the scorecard from today's Zimbabwean List A match between Rhinos and Moutaineers.

Joylord Gumbie, Gary Chirimuuta, Nigel Bonyongwe and Baxon Gopito finished on the losing side, unfortunately.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Thursday

Source of it

https://twitter.com/charmada/status/1384967542326841346

The McDonalds Triangle thing is a fairly old meme brought back for that incredible tweet.

iamcoop

My first thought when I saw that was no fuckin' way would Broad be taking anyone to McDonald's.

Harry Badger

I thought the McDonald's triangle was something to do with serial killers.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Just heard a planned CC fixture at Hove got switched because of an infestation of daddy long leg larvae on the outfield.

Inspector Norse

Haseeb Hameed watch:

c du Plooy b Reece 0 (2b)

Could happen to anyone

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Bit tedious seeing some of the same fixtures that were on only a few weeks ago.

Harry Badger

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 29, 2021, 11:56:02 AM
Just heard a planned CC fixture at Hove got switched because of an infestation of daddy long leg larvae on the outfield.

Lord's got infested by them in the 30s and turned it into an absolute bunsen for the rest of the season. Leatherjackets are a fucking nightmare for groundsmen.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Sri Lanka and Bangladesh's joke series continues. 1 wicket to fall all day. But they won't be fined just as India weren't when they prepared the 8th worst pitch in the history of the sport.

Harry Badger

Best watch the late-starting Durham game. Warks 26/6 and Mark Wood is bowling.

sevendaughters

HH approaching a third ton in 4 knocks. This one had a bit of freedom to it with Notts leading, but a good strike rate and the pressure of his team winning for the first time in nearly 2 years gives it an edge.

sevendaughters

Quote from: sevendaughters on April 30, 2021, 04:14:24 PM
HH approaching a third ton in 4 knocks. This one had a bit of freedom to it with Notts leading, but a good strike rate and the pressure of his team winning for the first time in nearly 2 years gives it an edge.

Jinxed it. 94 and out.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Another topsy turvy Middlesex vs Somerset game.

Pranet

At Taunton they went off for Lunch with Somerset needing 19 to win- it seems that the umpires could have delayed lunch by 30 mins- and now it is raining.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Somerset are the masters at pulling a rabbit out of the hat. Normally involving the opposite side collapsing in the 3rd innings.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Pranet

Nice to see Simon Kerrigan doing ok.

Been great watching the streams today, I've been meaning to go out for about 2 hours now.