Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:34:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cricket thread 2020: executing our skillsets

Started by sevendaughters, March 06, 2020, 05:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yeah, reformist policy might still hold sway. Maybe not hang all peodos. Openers look like they might be around for a while, our bowlers still very good at home. Great that Woakesyyy ended up being the star performer when it started off on some bullshit macho Archer and Wood approach in err.. English seam and swing conditions with uneven bounce.

The inexplicable self inflicted result in the first test is still the major worry.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

That 500th wicket was a cracker, shaped a little away then seamed back in. Really top notch. What a feral dog shit eating graveraper Broad is, maybe up there with anyone alive.

iamcoop

iamcoop

Hats off to the West Indies, great bunch of lads for agreeing to this series and coming over to play some proper fucking cricket, under what must have been boring as fuck living and playing conditions. Really enjoyed these Tests.

As a side note I listened to Kemar Roach's post match interview from last night and he sounds cool as fuck. I hope the Windies start killing people with their bowling again someday.

Inspector Norse

Thursday

No Cricket today, what the fuck? Get that WINDIES plane turned around right now.

poo

Thanks Windies for giving us some cricket. Really good series.

badaids

Holder wants us to go to the windies in the winter. We should deffo do that. Sort it out you Ecb cunts - never forgiven you for changing from tccb and the team badge and getting rid of the mcc away jersey and all that shit

Inspector Norse

Yeah, the Windies were dead men walking in the last test but the first two were exciting contests and if they can find improvements on Campbell, Hope and one or two others they could be back to being a genuine quality team rather than one who beat England sometimes (anyone can do that). And unlike certain other touring teams in recent memory, they seem like a bona fide Great Bunch Of Lads.

poo

Playing next week 👍👍👍🏏🏏🏏🏏🏏🦠🦠🦠🏏🏏🍺🍺💪💪💪💪

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Decent recovery for Ireland, they looked well undercooked against the new ball.

Willey staking a claim to get back into the regular side.

king_tubby

Yes, Inspector. I'm sorry to say it does seem that for English batsman, ODI is short for 'only diddle infants'.

Inspector Norse

James Vince made 25 then got caught behind driving.

Denlyesque reliability.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Hameed makes 68 say Beeb

We aren't still waiting for him to come good, surely? Alex  Bogdanovic.

Inspector Norse

We're still waiting for Denly to come good and he's 47.

Inspector Norse

This Campher looks a very handy player.

James Vince, though.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It's almost like Vince and Denly are trying to point out to the selectors they aren't good enough.

'Look, look! Did you see that? I failed to convert a start again! I got out with a really rank shot! That's not very good is it sir?'

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 01, 2020, 04:15:25 PM
Hameed makes 68 say Beeb

We aren't still waiting for him to come good, surely? Alex  Bogdanovic.

Another 50

Test recall soon

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Cuellar

Saw some of that (had seen it before) - made me want to watch that 2010 MCG test all over again. Could only find shitty highlights on youtube - no one knows of any FULL MATCH torrents or anything do they?

sevendaughters

it's not a great documentary to be honest. candid, sure, but it lies (England's win in India in 2012/3 was an apex moment, but this documentary would have you believe they were all crying into their whites at the time) to preserve a smooth narrative flow. i get it, but i prefer the Aussie doc.

finnquark

I don't really think the documentary teaches you very much beyond the surface, though some of the slow-mo/close-up footage is great. The missing bit for me is how the culture was sustained for so long and who the people were beyond Flower who helped that happen. But then I suppose that is understandable, given what certain players went through under the regime - those who found it invigorating are unlikely to talk frankly about it. The issue is probably that for a 90 minute film to look at the fragility of elite level sports people, and go into detail about the ins and out of what was missing is just difficult. It was enjoyable though, thanks for pointing out that it was on. Oh and also the narrator was pretty shit and not in keeping with the tone. And it confirmed Swann to be a tiresome knob.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Toby Jones was the narrator I think. I agree he wasn't great. A bit try hard.

The main issue is, as above, that the running time doesn't allow for in depth analysis. It's unfair to compare it to the documentary The Test which spends a dozen hours on the subject, and even then that documentary feels like it skirts over some important games.

I think the main value in The Edge is how it transitions from a procedural about results to covering a fairly good range of psychological issues relating to burnout. Of course there is some valuable backroom footage too. But the best bit I think comes at the end where Trott can barely speak about it without breaking down. The coverage of Pietersen is finely poised as well. Allows his natural cuntishness to come out while not totally doing a hatchet job. It does suggest he was not well managed along with many others. The music in the film is really good too.

Cuellar

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 04, 2020, 01:50:59 PM
But the best bit I think comes at the end where Trott can barely speak about it without breaking down.

Yeah, that's definitely the standout image for me.

iamcoop

Quote from: Cuellar on August 04, 2020, 11:16:43 AM
Saw some of that (had seen it before) - made me want to watch that 2010 MCG test all over again. Could only find shitty highlights on youtube - no one knows of any FULL MATCH torrents or anything do they?

I can only assume a lot of the footage got pulled from YouTube for copyright reasons (possibly due to this film being released) as up until quite recently there was a two hour highlight video of the whole of the first days play at the MCG on there. (I know because I've probably watched it a hundred times).

poo

first 10 mins cheesey as fuck. That's as far as I got.

poo