Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:17:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cricket thread 2020: executing our skillsets

Started by sevendaughters, March 06, 2020, 05:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

Knew Jos would save the day, absolute legend god

poo

Stick every other sport up yer haynoose. Nothing comes close to test cricket.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Mad that Woakesyy will soon be 32. There's one seriously underused test player.

badaids

Guardian going big on the quality of Buttlers performance given that his daddy is in hospital.  Oh - Apart from his dreadful keeping of course.

Begs the question why his dad is in hospital? Attempted fratricide? Heart attack bought on by shame of offspring activities. If the hospitalisation and one good performance are related, then how might it be prolonged, or some arrangement come to, where his dad is hospitalised every test match?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Still difficult to work out how Pakistan folded like that. Vagaries of cricket how a situation looks hopeless and the pitch a minefield only to then get a 139 run 6th wicket partnership in a 4th innings chase.

badaids

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 09, 2020, 10:44:51 AM
Still difficult to work out how Pakistan folded like that. Vagaries of cricket how a situation looks hopeless and the pitch a minefield only to then get a 139 run 6th wicket partnership in a 4th innings chase.

I only saw the highlights but it did look like they were unlucky that poor shots/unplayable balls didn't quite carry to their catchers and some poor fielding in the deep leaking runs. On another day we might have been bowled out for 150.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Pakistan self-identify as 'unpredictable' but this increasingly applies to England.

finnquark

Quote from: badaids on August 09, 2020, 10:50:36 AM
I only saw the highlights but it did look like they were unlucky that poor shots/unplayable balls didn't quite carry to their catchers and some poor fielding in the deep leaking runs. On another day we might have been bowled out for 150.

The cricviz app on my phone applies some model that I have no comprehension of, but which gives various stats for bowlers. One of the is the number of wickets you would expect each bowler to take given the deliveries they bowled. Of the 5 Pakistani bowlers, only Yasir took more wickets than you would expect.

But they also go through sloppy periods, I suppose like every team does. At the end of the first England innings, they were sloppy in the field for the last two wickets, which cost them a few runs. The commentators were frequently pointing out that the slips needed to come forward a bit because 87mph balls weren't carrying. And Shaheen and Naseem seemed to be trying to find magic balls a bit too much, which gave them some expensive spells.

Chedney Honks

Stokes to miss the remainder of the Pak tour due to family reasons.

Thursday

Well time to call up Denly for one more chance

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Thursday on August 09, 2020, 03:30:49 PM
Well time to call up Denly for one more chance

Fortunately they've already called up Ollie Robinson, who has a bowling average of 3 in county cricket (and can apparently bat a bit too, though that's what they said about Jofra).

I suspect they'll rotate out Anderson and Archer for the next game with Denly Crawley and two of Curran/Robinson/Wood (if he's fit, I never know with him one day to the next) coming in. Possibly Leach for Bess too.

iamcoop

Quote from: Inspector Norse on August 09, 2020, 03:39:34 PM
Fortunately they've already called up Ollie Robinson, who has a bowling average of 3 in county cricket (and can apparently bat a bit too, though that's what they said about Jofra).

I suspect they'll rotate out Anderson and Archer for the next game with Denly Crawley and two of Curran/Robinson/Wood (if he's fit, I never know with him one day to the next) coming in. Possibly Leach for Bess too.

What do we think is the best spinning option then? I'm guessing Moeen has been jettisoned for the time being. I wish we'd just pick a spinner and stick with them. I've not seen much of Bess, is he really that shit or is he a young kid that might come good if we stick with him for a year and hope he learns his craft a bit more?

Inspector Norse

I think Bess will be a good player and he seems smart and eager to improve, but hasn't been very dangerous and needs more time to learn. Leach is more experienced and might be better against Pakistan's predominantly right-handed top order.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Inspector Norse on August 09, 2020, 03:39:34 PM

Yes, surely Crawley will play, presumably Root to 4 which is preferable. Anderson has a free pass but Curran has a reasonable argument to play for variation and batting strength. Woakes has rendered himself undroppable temporarily.

badaids

Quote from: Inspector Norse on August 09, 2020, 04:41:58 PM
I think Bess will be a good player and he seems smart and eager to improve, but hasn't been very dangerous and needs more time to learn. Leach is more experienced and might be better against Pakistan's predominantly right-handed top order.

That's true but my feeling is that they are blooding him for India, Leach will come too and they'll probably both play in the same test team for most of the series.  True that Leach needs practise too as he been out the team a while with bum disease.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: badaids on August 10, 2020, 05:56:09 PM
Leach needs practise too as he been out the team a while with bum disease.

In itself good preparation for touring India

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Can Saffer do anything to get Simon Harmer back playing for them? Another 14 wickets today.

Chedney Honks

Someone on the cricket subreddit just posted a picture of Steve Smith on the deck last summer and I got all misty eyed about BRAIN MUSIC

king_tubby

king_tubby

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Love Fawad Alam is recalled, probably one of the mysteriously despised and overlooked Pakistan batsmen of this era.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

finnquark

hahahahaha fuck me that drop was amateur hour

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Burns Victim getting a piece of that sweet paed action

finnquark

Since 2018, only Bangladesh (69%) catch fewer slip chances than England (73%).

Burns probably can't see the ball clearly enough through his Anonymous mask.

king_tubby

Pakistan getting a bit mercurial again, Michael.

rjd2

That technique from Alam, I've called Interpol.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Fawad mate

A decade out of the team then a 4 ball duck.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 13, 2020, 11:09:32 AM
Love Fawad Alam is recalled, probably one of the mysteriously despised and overlooked Pakistan batsmen of this era.

Four balls he lasted. After eleven years out.