Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:21:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cricket thread 2020: executing our skillsets

Started by sevendaughters, March 06, 2020, 05:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iamcoop

That Stanford thing was fucking mental wasn't it? Always forget about that. I'm glad we got battered. What an embarrassment.

sevendaughters

Allan Stanford's name returns to me once every three years and I burst out laughing. That thing was fuUUUUUUUUUUUUCKED.

poo

It's the Eng v NZ group match from the World Cup instead.

Better than nothing though.

Whats the general view of the ENG squad for this year

Still no place for Hales...bit spiteful?

Players that have been asked to return to training:

Batsmen and wicketkeepers: Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire), Tom Banton (Somerset), Sam Billings (Kent), James Bracey (Gloucestershire), Rory Burns (Surrey), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Zak Crawley (Kent), Joe Denly (Kent), Ben Duckett (Nottinghamshire), Laurie Evans (Sussex), Ben Foakes (Surrey), Sam Hain (Warwickshire), Will Jacks (Surrey), Keaton Jennings (Lancashire), Tom Kohler-Cadmore (Yorkshire), Dan Lawrence (Essex), Liam Livingstone (Lancashire), Dawid Malan (Yorkshire), Eoin Morgan (Middlesex), Ollie Pope (Surrey), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Jason Roy (Surrey), Phil Salt (Sussex), Dom Sibley (Warwickshire), James Vince (Hampshire)

Fast bowlers (including all-rounders): James Anderson (Lancashire), Jofra Archer (Sussex), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Henry Brookes (Warwickshire), Pat Brown (Worcestershire), Brydon Carse (Durham), Sam Curran (Surrey), Tom Curran (Surrey), Richard Gleeson (Lancashire), Lewis Gregory (Somerset), Tom Helm (Middlesex), Chris Jordan (Sussex), Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire), Craig Overton (Somerset), Jamie Overton (Somerset), Ollie Robinson (Sussex), Ben Stokes (Durham), Olly Stone (Warwickshire), Reece Topley (Surrey), David Willey (Yorkshire), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire), Mark Wood (Durham)

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Morgan and some allies seemingly the reason. I would cautiously say Hales has more chance of playing for England in the next World Cup than Morgs. What I don't get is why they think this is disciplining him? Hales is getting signed up as a very well paid and very always available mercenary for T20 leagues, hardly in the dog house.

What are the odds on a Wood/Archer/Stone pace attack ever featuring? At any given point 2 of them are injured.

poo

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 30, 2020, 07:06:06 PM
Morgan and some allies seemingly the reason. I would cautiously say Hales has more chance of playing for England in the next World Cup than Morgs. What I don't get is why they think this is disciplining him? Hales is getting signed up as a very well paid and very always available mercenary for T20 leagues, hardly in the dog house.

What are the odds on a Wood/Archer/Stone pace attack ever featuring? At any given point 2 of them are injured.

Does Morgan not like Hales. I can't imagine Jimmy Anderson lasting the course either
I thought last summer would be his last  do you think his inclusion is more mentor than player?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Anderson will be playing vs Windies in a month good health permitting, but there's no downside to including him in the training camp (other than other players discovering he's an aloof selfish arrogant wanker to meet).

As for Hales, Morgan has openly criticised him for not buying into the team ethos, for betraying trust and even after plenty of water has passed under the bridge shows no willingness to have him back, so fair to say he's done until Morgan retires. Mind you, Morgan was incredibly harsh about Malan too, and Malan is still around the scene. Maybe plant some coke on him.

I fear Jimmy won't get his celebratory exit from the game, as realistically the grounds won't be packed again until next Summer.

Harry Badger

BBC now repeating the 2013 Trent Bridge test - one of the best Ashes tests of the last fifty years.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Harry Badger on June 04, 2020, 03:47:08 PM
BBC now repeating the 2013 Trent Bridge test - one of the best Ashes tests of the last fifty years.

Certainly one of the all time topsy turvy games of cricket. Not the highest quality but a real slugfest.

We bat really poorly in the first innings, but still bowl well in Australia's reply to have them over a barrel until Ashton Agar enters at number 11. If we'd got them out then we'd have had a lead of 95 ish....who knows what would have happened. Perhaps Australia would have skittled us for 150, perhaps we'd have scored 370 still.

160 odd runs later it felt like we were under massive pressure but we slowly and surely repel a hostile attack and eke out a reasonable lead to defend.

Then we had them over a barrel again for a big win as they slip to 8 wickets down before letting them back into it once more. I still remember the godawful bowling as the runs required dipped to under 20 before Anderson finally finishes them.

Got to say the England 2nd innings showed a level of grit that's been mainly lacking from the England side since Australia fucked the ragged useless corpse of the Flower regime dry in the return series.

poo

Listened to it today and really enjoyed the commentary. Made me realise how much I cunting loves the cricket.

Harry Badger

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 05, 2020, 12:52:11 PM
Certainly one of the all time topsy turvy games of cricket. Not the highest quality but a real slugfest.

We bat really poorly in the first innings, but still bowl well in Australia's reply to have them over a barrel until Ashton Agar enters at number 11. If we'd got them out then we'd have had a lead of 95 ish....who knows what would have happened. Perhaps Australia would have skittled us for 150, perhaps we'd have scored 370 still.

160 odd runs later it felt like we were under massive pressure but we slowly and surely repel a hostile attack and eke out a reasonable lead to defend.

Then we had them over a barrel again for a big win as they slip to 8 wickets down before letting them back into it once more. I still remember the godawful bowling as the runs required dipped to under 20 before Anderson finally finishes them.

Got to say the England 2nd innings showed a level of grit that's been mainly lacking from the England side since Australia fucked the ragged useless corpse of the Flower regime dry in the return series.

I remember hopping around on gout-riddled feet at Paddington staton when the Haddin wicket finally went down.

BBC have started repeating old Eng v WI tests from the archives. Last Saturday saw the 1984 Lord's debacle where an injured Gordon Greenidge scored 200 on the last day as they chased 344 with only one wicket down, England having been on top until then. Amazing batting. Next week sees the Headingley 1991 test famous for Gooch's 154* on a dreadful wicket and a spectacular catch by the debutant Ramprakash. 

Shoulders?-Stomach!

If I recall correctly, later in that same series Ramprakash manages to get out haplessly with only a few runs needed, leaving Botham in one of his final games to stride (waddle) in and effortlessly cunt off the remaining runs to grab the glory.

That was an early glimmer into Ramps' mental frailties at test level.

Harry Badger

The whole series encapsulated his frustrating failure to deliver - a series of scores in the 20s then getting out. In fact his two scores of 27 at Headingley (both good knocks in the circumstances, the second holding up an end for Gooch) ended up being his career average. It was also Hick's first series but after a series of failures, 'The New Bradman' was dropped after four games.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Feel like pure shit just want execution of skillsets

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Class. What is that compilation though? Totally unconnected with each other?

iamcoop

I'm listening to the Cardiff climax. Jim Maxwell's a lad isn't he?

I fear the West Indies are not going to take these Tests as seriously as their last two series v England.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on June 14, 2020, 11:26:56 PM
I fear the West Indies are not going to take these Tests as seriously as their last two series v England.

Holder and Roach talking themselves up.

England basically can't bat and Root is a shit captain who crumples whenever teams bat aggressively, so Windies have a great chance.

poo

yeah some bantz flying around suggesting Windies up for it. Just be great to listen to some cricket. Any cricket. Gonna inhale every last ball.

iamcoop

I hope the Windies kill at least four of our top order.

Obviously not keen on the source, but confirmed in the Commons that the English team is a 'vector of disease'.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Harry Badger on July 01, 2020, 11:22:20 AM
Live cricket here lads - Stokes XI v Buttler XI

https://www.ecb.co.uk/england/men/news/1703010/watch-live-england-men-intra-squad-match

Great stuff. Tuned in just in time to see Rory Burns ping Mahmood through midwicket for four.

Looks like Foakes has grown himself a lockdown mullet.

finnquark

Got the feeling of football training at sixth form when the 1st team trains with the 2nds and 3rds, what with some payers wearing their names and numbers and others without.