Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:35:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

James Corden IS Peter Rabbit again

Started by Cursus, March 06, 2020, 10:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crabwalk

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 16, 2020, 08:09:31 PM
I would like to add my support for that last line in the video being a cracking gag. Come on. That's a lovely daft subversion.

TOTAL VINDICATION FOR CRABWALK

dissolute ocelot

Since every classic kids story must by law have a film in which all the childhood faves are now grown up and boring (Hook, Christopher Robin, Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, Return to Oz, etc) can we have a film in which Peter Rabbit is now finance minister in a right-wing government and is hit by several hundred turnips.

Jerzy Bondov

My son has watched the James Corden Peter Rabbit film repeatedly during the last week and I'm now more familiar with it than some of my own favourite films. It's not as bad as I thought it was going to be. There are some good gags and Domhnall Gleeson is great (drinking from toilet, very funny, big hit in my house). I'm not a fan of the Beatrix Potter stories so couldn't give a fuck about it being faithful to them or not. Feels a bit rum that they put all this emotional weight on Peter's dad being dead but then also kill off his mum with a throwaway line because it's more convenient for the story. And it doesn't make sense that Peter Rabbit reveals to McGregor Jnr that he can speak but not Bea, who's his actual friend rather than a man who tried to smash his head in with a rake. Who cares though, it's just for kids.

Except it isn't just for kids, because it is filled with snide meta jokes and references for the parents to 'enjoy'. Hohoho, he's talking like he's high on dope, the kids won't get that but I do. I get it. Hohoho, I love being an adult. I've come to hate this sort of thing so much. The best family films are sincere. This constant winking, haha aren't movies silly, this isn't a storybook kiddo, bollocks just cuts the legs out from under films. How can you invest in the story if the characters can't be bothered to? There's a running gag in this where the rabbits talk about their 'character flaws', and a scene where Peter openly talks about his motivations and how they manifest like he's Robert McKee. Honestly just fuck off. I think it's insulting to the intelligence of kids to fill films ostensibly aimed at them with jokes and references that are designed to alienate them and I can't stand it.

There's also way too many needle drops, way too much dancing, and it has a bit of a nasty streak. So we've got a few decent moments, some nasty snide humour, and shoehorned signing and dancing. Why not cast in the lead the living embodiment of all those things? James Corden.

Jockice

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on April 06, 2020, 02:03:47 PM

Except it isn't just for kids, because it is filled with snide meta jokes and references for the parents to 'enjoy'. Hohoho, he's talking like he's high on dope, the kids won't get that but I do. I get it. Hohoho, I love being an adult. I've come to hate this sort of thing so much.

Haven't seen the film and probably never will but that's one of my pet hates too. One of my pet rabbit hates, ho ho. See what I did there?

holyzombiejesus

Thing is, they're not funny for the adults, just really irritating. There's a really fucking unfunny rooster cunt that shrieks about everything like Rik Mayall or something and it's not amusing on any level. The same with the little birds who initially lead you in to believing the film will be alot cosier but they keep getting hit and then kind of flap about in the dirt. It's horrible. One of the really really really irritating fucking non-entity sisters of Peter jumps off something high and says 'there goes one of my ribs' but Peter tells her that rabbits have loads of ribs so she goes woohoo ad then jumps off loads of high things. It's awful. When Peter is picking veg from McGregor's garden, he has some radicchio and then says something like 'what's really radicchio is how easy this is. Radicchio, ridiculous! Geddit?!'.Later, he looks at the pretty garden scenery and all the veg and says 'take it all in , 'cause we're taking it all in'. It's just shit.

Jerzy Bondov

I do sort of approve of how violent it is though. McGregor gets thrown across the room and slammed into the wall, repeatedly, by high voltage electricity. And he gets his hands crushed in rabbit traps. It's like OJ at the start of The Naked Gun, or OJ round his ex-wife's flat.

holyzombiejesus

If the film was a person, it would be a Young Conservative.