Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:56:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

We're all Preppers now!

Started by Jittlebags, March 07, 2020, 12:14:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

I've not 'panic bought' but I was going to do a shop and I normally buy roughly just enough to get me through to another week but I thought 'what if I got ill?' and looked at my stuff in the cupboardand thought 'I could do a curry that'd last me 3 extra days if I bought some tinned tomatoes' and 'I've got quite a lot of potatoes that need eating, best get some sausages' which means I have an extra week in reserve.

dissolute ocelot

Now hoping for full-on covidocalypse as I need all that free time to soak my chickpeas and green lentils.

Cold Meat Platter

I'm a prepper.
He's a prepper.
She's a prepper.
We're a prepper.
Wouldn't you like to be a prepper too?

Anyone else think those tinfoil hat foods like canned cheeseburgers and canned bread etc. exist almost exclusively for youtube reviewers? And some paranoid heid-the-baws of course.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on March 13, 2020, 05:13:54 PM
Now hoping for full-on covidocalypse as I need all that free time to soak my chickpeas and green lentils.

40 minutes in the Instant Pot and its like you soaked them and simmered them for an hour. 10 minutes for an hour simmer if you soaked.

You can quick soak chickpeas if you boil them for 5 minutes and then leave them an hour to cool. If you're the sort of luddite who cooks things at 1 atmosphere.

Inspector Norse

Went by a supermarket in the city this afternoon. Stock we noticed had run out included:
Toilet roll (I snagged the last 24-pack as my girlfriend texted to say the shop near home was out)
Organic pasta (and only organic pasta, not the plain stuff. This shop was bang in the middle of hipster district)
Tinned tomatoes
Beans
Tinned ravioli
Tinned sausages
Paracetamol

Tinned sausages? Really?

Blue Jam

Not panic-bought before, fun isn't it? I have bought:

One 5l bottle of water (£1.20, b@rgain)
A few cans of soup
About eight toilet rolls
Three bags of frozen fruit (was almost sold out along with the bog roll)
Plant milk (nicer than dairy UHT milk)
Two bottles of wine

Brought home some free samples of nitrile gloves I got at a conference too. Wore them on the bus- they might look a bit mad but fuck it, those paper masks look more mad and they do fuck-all.

Might just eat a pork pie and drop a couple of Surmontil 50s so I miss out Monday but come up smiling on Tuesday.

Dex Sawash

Bananas all gone from the stores. I suppose a banana could serve as a goose's neck.

poo

Just ordered Nintendo switch amazon prime

KennyMonster

What's a Prepper?

Is it like a Fluffer?

seepage

Twit 2

Blue Jam

Quote from: poo on March 14, 2020, 10:13:06 AM
Just ordered Nintendo switch amazon prime

Get Snooker 19 and enjoy.

Sebastian Cobb

Couldn't find butter so I bought a kilo of ghee, how's that for panicking?

imitationleather

Ferris

I panic bought 12 tins of pale ale on the weekend. 5 left now. Dead soon (if I'm lucky).

chveik

panic bought 4 kg of muesli. I'm fully prepared for the end of civilization now.