Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:40:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Great game series that perished.

Started by Bazooka, March 07, 2020, 03:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka

I've been playing  Onimusha Warlords remastered on PS4, fantastic little game,had it on ps2/Xbox and thinking it did pretty well but never made it to the next generation despite it being very good.  Devil May Cry has battled on, as have bother Capcom vehicles.

Grandia was a great jrpg series, Japan alone could have kept it going, but alas.

KoTor obviously.

Metroid, I know there is supposed to be one in the works, but it's been an age, I don't count Samus Returns on 3DS.

Silent Hill, we all know what happened there, Konami take note, look at Capcom, although I don't think we need remakes just a well made atmospheric SH.

Then there are the games that criminally never got sequels, Skies of Arcadia springs to mind, I know Shenmue 3 was mixly recieved, but I loved it and it bloody happened. I just want 4 now.

bgmnts

Oh god KOTOR.
My first and biggest heartbreak, I just imagine what the third game could have been if the amoral stupid business cunts that are EA didn't EA all over it.
I still haven't gotten over it.

Dead Space obviously is another.

Before I turn this into a "developers EA have killed" post, I think Brothers in Arms is the most tragic vanished series. It was really, really, really addictive gameplay to me, that slow, cover based, squad controlling WWII shooter with those suppression mechanics, I loved it. Sadly gearbox decided to do their shit Borderlands games and focus on that but ho hum.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Lemming

In an alternate universe, Red Faction followed the success and spirit of the first game and became one of the strongest FPS series of the 2000s. In our universe, it flopped, released a bad sequel then gave up on being an FPS altogether.

Command & Conquer is fucking dead. I suppose you can quibble about what killed it and when it died, but it's undeniably fucked to pieces now.

If there's one game that really REALLY deserved a sequel, it's The Last Express. They put a bunch of sequel bait in the game and, of course, none of it was ever followed up on. Would genuinely have loved an entire franchise of games following the adventures of that asshole Robert Cath.

bgmnts

If we are talking about games that deserved a sequel and potential series then Stubbs the Zombie is the prime candidate for me.

Amazing concept.
Funny.
Fun to play.
Good setting.
Great music.

Could have gone anywhere, that. Now its barely remembered and discontinued.

popcorn

I want a new Panzer Dragoon please.

More than anything I dream of a proper new 3D Sonic game. Not a 2D one, we've had enough good 2D Sonic games (including the recent Mania). I want a completely new, brilliant, totally reimagined game, something that captures the charm and cool of the original Sonics but brings it into a totally new place.

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on March 07, 2020, 03:32:18 PM
Half Life

??

Kelvin

Quote from: Bazooka on March 07, 2020, 03:19:29 PM
Metroid, I know there is supposed to be one in the works, but it's been an age, I don't count Samus Returns on 3DS.

I came in to post the same. A Metroid Prime style 3D shooter - the original game is one of the best games ever made, it's barely aged a day.   

popcorn

Metroid Prime 4 is happening. It got delayed because originally Bandai were doing it but they fucked it up so Nintendo gave it back to Retro. Which is a good thing surely.

The Nintendo franchise I want back is F-Zero. The thinking man's Mario Kart. Stripped back, minimal, pure, wicked. Even an HD, online-ready F-Zero GX would do me nicely I reckon.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Lemming on March 07, 2020, 03:43:27 PM
In an alternate universe, Red Faction followed the success and spirit of the first game and became one of the strongest FPS series of the 2000s. In our universe, it flopped, released a bad sequel then gave up on being an FPS altogether.
This was the first series that I thought of. I didn't think the second one was all that bad. Guerilla was my favourite one though, so I'd have liked to see a follow up that perfected the concept, with more varied buildings and better smashy physics.

Racing games seem to have suffered a general decline in popularity, but Burnout is particularly missed.

Not really a series, since there was only one game, but I'd love to see a new version of Body Harvest: GTA with puzzles, time travel and giant bugs. How is that not a big deal?

Kelvin

Quote from: popcorn on March 07, 2020, 04:58:05 PM
Metroid Prime 4 is happening.

We'll see about that. Retro haven't put out a game in ages, and they've lost / replaced a lost of staff.

Who knows what's going on with them.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

The Culture Bunker

Not sure if it's what is meant, but for the Metal Gear series to end with "Survive" was almost comically offensive. Of course, plenty would argue about the use of "great" there.

popcorn

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on March 07, 2020, 05:32:27 PM
I know, but VR bollocks to sell hardware.

Fuckin bollocks that is. I think there's every reason to expect Alyx will be ace. Assuming you can spend two grand.

Bazooka

Quote from: Lemming on March 07, 2020, 03:43:27 PM

Command & Conquer is fucking dead. I suppose you can quibble about what killed it and when it died, but it's undeniably fucked to pieces now.

If there's one game that really REALLY deserved a sequel, it's The Last Express. They put a bunch of sequel bait in the game and, of course, none of it was ever followed up on. Would genuinely have loved an entire franchise of games following the adventures of that asshole Robert Cath.

I tried playing Red Faction recently on PS Now, it has not aged well, clunky and dull as hell.  I would like a new one though, Guerilla was good fuck around fun.

bgmnts

Whatever happened to the Unreal Tournament series?

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 07, 2020, 05:00:14 PM

Racing games seem to have suffered a general decline in popularity, but Burnout is particularly missed.

I think Criterion make the Need For Speed games now and aren't allowed to do anything cool with it.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: bgmnts on March 07, 2020, 07:31:07 PM
Whatever happened to the Unreal Tournament series?

There was a free to play one recently, quite well received as far as I'm aware.

Apparently not in active development any more (never got finished) because Fortnite happened

peanutbutter

Quote from: Pink Gregory on March 07, 2020, 10:11:58 PM
I think Criterion make the Need For Speed games now and aren't allowed to do anything cool with it.
Pretty sure they don't, they did for a few years while EA were stripping them of absolutely any character they had. [googles] yeah, last 7 years has nothing but "Additional Work" credits on random games, probably got some very technically competent people and tools that can fix shit but that's about it and all the core members have left afaik.

Not even sure that one is EA's fault so much as just the market for arcade racers absolutely dying on its arse due to inability to get licenses and customers on a mass scale only caring about that.

Phil_A

Megaman Legends, all the more gutting because the third game came so close to being made for the 3DS before the plug was pulled.

The Thief series withering away after the underwhelming reboot was a real fucking tragedy. Years in development and just felt like a total wasted opportunity.

Consignia

Ouedan/Elite Beat Agents. Great quirky series, that really could only exist on the DS. Rhythm games since have been more abstract, with more of a focus on putting shit loads of songs in. Would love a revisit to the series at some point.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Consignia on March 07, 2020, 11:39:41 PM
Ouedan/Elite Beat Agents. Great quirky series, that really could only exist on the DS. Rhythm games since have been more abstract, with more of a focus on putting shit loads of songs in. Would love a revisit to the series at some point.
There must be some DS/3DS/WiiU stuff that just doesn't work on capacitive touch screens without ipad pro level digitizers and pens

Ferris

TimeSplitters

Red Faction is a great shout though. Remember the multiplayer map that you could tunnel up to the roof and get the railgun? That were great.

bgmnts

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 08, 2020, 12:35:03 AM
TimeSplitters

Fuck sake all these amazing devs doing interesting games going under.

Bazooka

Timesplitters virus mode, ridiculous.

bgmnts

Quote from: Bazooka on March 08, 2020, 12:39:51 AM

Its so good I can actually play that against bots on my own and never get bored.

Ferris

Quote from: Bazooka on March 08, 2020, 12:39:51 AM

Invented the "zombie wave" mode as well*, which has been lifted wholesale by a number of other modern FPS games.

*or at least, I'd never seen it before

badaids

The Last Ninja games on the c64 were amazing and groundbreaking.  Can't believe they stopped at 3.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien