Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:46:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Great game series that perished.

Started by Bazooka, March 07, 2020, 03:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yussef Dent

As soon as I saw this thread I immediately thought of SSX.

The original SSX was superb at the time as it stood out in a very saturated market of snowboarding games. SSX Tricky took it up another level with its physics defying Uber tricks, a further emphasis on the cartoonish side of it all and the absolutely ridiculous and fantastical tracks. Not to mention an amazing soundtrack as well! SSX 3 was yet another step in the right direction and it seemed like this franchise was to be around for a long time.

Then came SSX On Tour. I actually liked this game, but there was just something that was lacking in terms of the direction they were trying to take it. (I'd mention SSX Blur on the Wii but I never played that.).

It looked like things would get back on track with the next gen console release of SSX in 2012, as it was a very good game indeed with tracks based on actual real-life mountains and terrain. I could understand the criticism it got for being a much darker game and EA did bow to pressure by adding in another mountain as a DLC with the playful elements of older versions, but it looked like a genuine return to form. Nevertheless, the game seemed to be geared up towards online play and seemed to have an ace up its sleeve with daily competitions enticing you in on it's pretty impressive "RiderNet" interface. I've never been much of an online gamer, for example I'm an ardent PES player but I've never touched MyClub. However back then SSX's online offering was well worth a look as it was in effect what they were trying to tempt you in the direction of.

And therein lied the problem. Coming late to the RiderNet party I started entering races but despite all my might in trying to win them, I'd never get a first place, with the victors somehow managing to cross the line after about 30 seconds. The reason for this was that through microtransactions, if you shelled out enough money you could buy all the equipment and power ups and level them right up. People were buying wingsuits, going slightly off course to get a decent take-off point, then literally gliding airborne to the finish line. Nothing was done about this, leaving the whole online experience completely pointless and broken.

I've got no idea why they didn't stop this and reignite the series, but there seems to be no indication SSX will ever be brought back for good.

samadriel

Commandos. Brilliant peak with pt 2, then they stuffed pt 3 with stuff you'd never want in a Commandos game, like time limits, then they put out some fucking FPS which bombed because who fucking wants an FPS Commandos game? Recently there have been some stealth strategy games that have taken after Commandos; it'd be nice if they inspired the Commandos team to make a proper game, but I doubt it.

Bazooka

SSX yeah great shout, I never played Tour but still have 3 on big xbox, Tricky was such fun, EA doesn't need to worry about making money from sport games,but would love to blast down some slopes again.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Skate games. Absolutely loved playing Skate 3 about 10 years ago.
A current-gen reboot would be sweet.

Marner and Me

Quote from: Bazooka on March 08, 2020, 08:14:45 AM
SSX yeah great shout, I never played Tour but still have 3 on big xbox, Tricky was such fun, EA doesn't need to worry about making money from sport games,but would love to blast down some slopes again.
Check out Steep, you can snowboard, ski and wingsuit.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: Marner and Me on March 08, 2020, 10:54:24 AM
Check out Steep, you can snowboard, ski and wingsuit.

And paraglide, don't forget the thrill-a-minute paragliding...oh wait, actually do forget it.

beanheadmcginty

Consignia

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on March 08, 2020, 02:15:15 PM
Lotus Turbo Challenge

Series peaked after the giddy heights of 1-2-3 and AmiPro.

madhair60

Lovely thread.

I'm gonna go with Duke Nukem. Forever was fucking bullshit and poisoned the character and therefore the franchise.

Spiteface

Virtua Fighter

Was once deemed one of the finest 3D fighting games, alongside Tekken (some will tell you VF was always the superior series), yet Tekken flourishes and Sega seems content to stick VF5 into the arcades of Yakuza games and infict that dreadful Megadrive "port" of VF2 on everyone that dares buy a compilation of their old games.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: samadriel on March 08, 2020, 05:46:40 AM
Commandos. Brilliant peak with pt 2, then they stuffed pt 3 with stuff you'd never want in a Commandos game, like time limits, then they put out some fucking FPS which bombed because who fucking wants an FPS Commandos game? Recently there have been some stealth strategy games that have taken after Commandos; it'd be nice if they inspired the Commandos team to make a proper game, but I doubt it.

Similar happened to the Conflict Series.

Somewhat unspectacular, somewhat tactical 3rd person shooter, up to 4 players or order your AI blokes around.  2 Desert Storms, Vietnam and Global Storm, the latter of which expanded the squad commands a bit, went a bit more Hitman in terms of level variety, seemed to be getting somewhere.

Then they release a weird FPS and it disappears.

Ferris

Are they still guffing out Soul Calibur games? The second one was excellent - go with Kilik every time and prod the other character to death with stick prod attack.

They also managed to shoehorn a story into it which is an impressive feat in a beat em up

Bazooka

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 08, 2020, 10:09:07 PM
Are they still guffing out Soul Calibur games? The second one was excellent - go with Kilik every time and prod the other character to death with stick prod attack.

They also managed to shoehorn a story into it which is an impressive feat in a beat em up

Yeah Soul Calibur 6, came out 2018, tis very delicious, Geralt from The Witcher is in it, he looks like a nob.

Powerstone is another Dreamcast fighter that I wish was more successful, had it been on PS it probably would have stood a chance, more fun than Smash 64.

Consignia

Powerstone 1 was OK, but Powerstone 2 was Smash levels of fun. Ah, the days of jumping out a plane and whacking your mates with a frozen tuna. It needed the local 4 person multiplayer though, which would have been a harder sell on the PS2.

Wonderful Butternut

MicroProse Grand Prix. GP4 was released in 2002 and still does some things better than the modern Codemasters F1 games.

Sensible World of Soccer.

Quote from: samadriel on March 08, 2020, 05:46:40 AM

Commandos 1 & 2 are being given the 'HD remaster' treatment I believe, or were due to be. Might be some hope if they were to sell reasonably.

Ridge Racer, and fun arcade-y racers in general. I know they did a 'serious' version of RR a few years back (never played it myself) but the last proper version was yonks ago now. Virtua Tennis seems to be MIA as well, which is a shame.

samadriel

Quote from: Quote on March 08, 2020, 11:44:30 PM
Commandos 1 & 2 are being given the 'HD remaster' treatment I believe, or were due to be. Might be some hope if they were to sell reasonably.

Yeah, C2 HD came out this year, but according to the reviews, they've censored out all the Nazi imagery -- no thanks!

Moribunderast

Silent Hill and Dead Space are obvious ones for horror fans. I'd also add Dino Crisis and Fatal Frame. Apparently Capcom actually did start development on a new Dino Crisis project recently but decided not to follow through with it.

I loved the two Viewtiful Joe games and would have definitely played another of those.

Single games that I wish had a sequel: Sleeping Dogs, Okami, Haunting Ground.

BeardFaceMan

Sin Agog

Quote from: Moribunderast on March 09, 2020, 02:53:32 AM
Silent Hill and Dead Space are obvious ones for horror fans. I'd also add Dino Crisis and Fatal Frame. Apparently Capcom actually did start development on a new Dino Crisis project recently but decided not to follow through with it.

I loved the two Viewtiful Joe games and would have definitely played another of those.

It has been said by some that they actually prefer the DS Okami sequel, Okamiden.

C_Larence

Quote from: Moribunderast on March 09, 2020, 02:53:32 AM

Okami had a sequel/spiritual successor called Okamiden that was released on the DS. Don't remember much about it because it was 10 years ago, but I think it was rather good!

oh ffs

Famous Mortimer

Agreed on Silent Hill.

I really loved the Project Gotham Racing series. I know most of the team went on to make other racing games, but there was something about PGR4, the controls, the speed, the quality of the opponents, that I really liked. Closed tracks you could learn, great difficulty curve, all that. Would've been fun to have another game in that series.

C_Larence

Ooh just thought of a good one. Prince Of Persia. Fucking loved the PS2 games, and thought the PS3 one was interesting. Then they fucked it off and made Assassin's Creed instead. One for a "game series that should perish" thread

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: C_Larence on March 09, 2020, 03:51:04 PM
Ooh just thought of a good one. Prince Of Persia. Fucking loved the PS2 games, and thought the PS3 one was interesting.

YES! I played 'Forgotten Sands' again recently and, though the combat left a lot to be desired, the platforming was so satisfying. The addition of the water freezing power was inspired. I absolutely loved the PS2 trilogy (OK, 'The Warrior Within' was a laughably 'edgy' mis-step, but I still enjoy it for the most part) and was gutted when it became apparent that we're not likely to see another instalment any time soon.

Ferris

Quote from: C_Larence on March 09, 2020, 03:51:04 PM
Ooh just thought of a good one. Prince Of Persia.

Great shout. Sands of Time was terrific, I seem to remember it had the whole first game (?) included as an Easter egg.

Did that feeling of vast, abandoned other worldliness very well.

All the stuff I loved as a kid, sports games that aren't dry as fuck. NBA Street, FIFA Street, Ready 2 Rumble, Virtua Tennis, Mario Strikers, the aforementioned SSX and many more I'm sure I'm forgetting.

The Culture Bunker

I'm a little surprised nobody thought of bringing back the Wing Commander series. I know the head honcho (after failing miserably as a film director) has been preoccupied with that Star Citizen business... but still, I would have thought somebody would sniff money in the IP.

Sin Agog

I would say Destruction Derby, but then Wreckfest really does gracefully fill in its void.

Kinda miss Jak & Dexter.  The last Ratchet & Clank game supposedly did really well, despite being all of twenty minutes long, so you'd think there'd be some room for another big platform return. It seems the sole reason some of these old-school genres are dying is because they were suffocated through a lack of green lights.  Of course there's a demand for immediately fun games.  That, and 'cause Online Mutiplayer Killed the Arcade Star.

Ferris

Was gonna say Mech Warrior coz it were class, but apparently there's a new one coming.

All those RTS games like Total Annihilation and Command and Conquer. They were great but don't seem to be made any more. Or maybe they are and I'm too much of a console wanker to notice.

popcorn

The Fumito Ueda ones. Ico, Shadow of the Colossus and The Last Guardian. He really lost his way with TLG what with it being delayed to fuck and then not brilliant, which I think is a tremendous shame. The first two remain incredibly special to me and I think Ico in particular was enormously influential in a way somehow no one ever talks about.