Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,468
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:14:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Great game series that perished.

Started by Bazooka, March 07, 2020, 03:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

The Last Guardian was indeed a bit shit, but I'm a complete sucker for that kind of ruined/deserted massive eldritch ancient-megastructure kind of vibe.

Bazooka

I've still not got around to playing it,but will out of respect for the team.

Jerzy Bondov

Yeah I really enjoyed TLG despite also finding it really annoying. The setting and atmosphere were good enough to make up for the annoying bits.

James Pond. Loved the second one, better than sonic.

popcorn

To clarify, I did enjoy TLG too and it's still full of the ol' Ueda charm, but it's compromised by, yes, loads of annoying bits, the sense that they'd been beaten at their own game engine by Naughty Dog, and I think also a weirdly shit ending, which is sad because Ico and SOTC have the best endings ever. All in all I just didn't find it as affecting and it hasn't stayed with me at all.

In Tokyo I worked with a guy who did some emergency engine work on TLG, and he said a lot of interesting stuff. He said Ueda had really wanted the game to be less linear and more like SOTC in terms of structure - that was where most of the technical problems came from, along with the team massively overestimating PS3 hardware early in development. There was a huge tower you were supposed to be able to slowly climb through the game, and at any point be able to leap to lower points of it on Trico, seamlessly, with no loading.

He also said Ueda had a reputation for being difficult to work with and the reason he and his staff left was "totally political". . Apparently artists would spend months creating assets and Ueda would show up and demand they all be redone. Colleague was skeptical of how much influence Ueda had after he left Sony and believes Sony just wanted his name on it but without him running the project.

popcorn

In any case I feel Ueda's time has passed - I don't think he'll find himself in another position to make weird beautiful games like he had with Sony, and he's been superseded by the likes of Journey and Limbo.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Shadow of the Colossus was a pile of plop.

peanutbutter

Quote from: popcorn on March 10, 2020, 07:47:24 PM
In any case I feel Ueda's time has passed - I don't think he'll find himself in another position to make weird beautiful games like he had with Sony, and he's been superseded by the likes of Journey and Limbo.
I feel like he'd be able to get an opportunity somewhere, would be stunned if he actually wants it though, TLG's development must've been a fucking misery

popcorn

Quote from: peanutbutter on March 10, 2020, 11:05:05 PM
I feel like he'd be able to get an opportunity somewhere, would be stunned if he actually wants it though

He'll come back with something eventually but it'll be some little indie thing made on a tenner. Gone are the days of the big studio backing.

C_Larence

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 10, 2020, 10:27:48 PM
Shadow of the Colossus was a pile of plop.

It's the giant's shoulders that better games have since gone further from standing on.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

But the climb up there was bafflingly tedious.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 09, 2020, 01:55:23 PM
Agreed on Silent Hill.

I really loved the Project Gotham Racing series. I know most of the team went on to make other racing games, but there was something about PGR4, the controls, the speed, the quality of the opponents, that I really liked. Closed tracks you could learn, great difficulty curve, all that. Would've been fun to have another game in that series.

Every so often I crack that on with the force feedback wheel, incredible still. Total zen feeling of challenge and mastery. It is something about the controls I think, the 'weight'of the car.

kngen

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on March 08, 2020, 08:43:23 AM
Skate games. Absolutely loved playing Skate 3 about 10 years ago.
A current-gen reboot would be sweet.

Yep. My biggest regret from switching from Xbox to PS4 was that I couldn't play Skate 3 anymore. The odd rumour about Skate 4 surfaces, but it seems EA - in their infinite wisdom - dismantled the team that created the series, marched them round the back of the offices, shot them execution style in the back of the head, buried them in a pit, and then burned the building down so that no-one - NO FUCKING ONE - would ever dream of mentioning Skate 4 again. Seems like a worthwhile business model.

Moribunderast

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on March 09, 2020, 08:03:43 AM
Titanfall.

Agreed. I only recently played Titanfall 2 and it was absolutely brilliant as a FPS campaign. Close to the best I've played in that genre. Shame that Respawn were consumed by EA. Doubt they'll make something as great as T2 anytime soon.

greenman

Quote from: Lemming on March 07, 2020, 03:43:27 PMCommand & Conquer is fucking dead. I suppose you can quibble about what killed it and when it died, but it's undeniably fucked to pieces now.

Never really recovered from the impact of Starcraft

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 10, 2020, 12:08:43 AM
Was gonna say Mech Warrior coz it were class, but apparently there's a new one coming.

All those RTS games like Total Annihilation and Command and Conquer. They were great but don't seem to be made any more. Or maybe they are and I'm too much of a console wanker to notice.
Mechwarrior 5 is out now on the Epic store, which is why you haven't heard of it. It looks OK and is the single player version of the also nice looking but pay-2-win Mechwarrior Online

Quote from: Lemming on March 07, 2020, 03:43:27 PM
Command & Conquer is fucking dead. I suppose you can quibble about what killed it and when it died, but it's undeniably fucked to pieces now.

Pteroglyph are releasing a Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert remaster and went out and got support from the community, and if I had the ability to feel joy anymore I might feel happy about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iMfypQj3k0

They also made the 8-Bit RTS series recently which were good enough for their styles