Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:04:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mull of Kintyre

Started by Dewt, March 07, 2020, 05:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewt

Bad, bad song. Droning, tedious, bad song.

idunnosomename

Just what i clicked on this thread to say

Butchers Blind

Isn't that the place that looks like cock and balls?

Rolf Lundgren

Name me a better song about the extreme southwesternmost tip of the Kintyre Peninsula.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on March 07, 2020, 06:19:22 PM
Name me a better song about the extreme southwesternmost tip of the Kintyre Peninsula.
big balls by ac/dc

wosl

Just love, and wait for, that bit where he knocks his hand or something against the guitar - DTTT-DUD-DUHHH.  Better than John saying "'Bye!" at the start of the Sgt. Pepper's reprise, that.

DrGreggles

the science eel

Better or worse than Rod's 'Sailing'?

Campbell Soupe

Hardly needs saying, but this is clearly the best version of this crock o shite, by a country mile...

https://youtu.be/D4iEPU3uVDg

It was discussed on Chart Music recently and the most revealing thing they had to say was how fucking miserable the band were while recording it. Paul and Linda were all cosy in the main building while Denny and the lads were freezing their tits off in an outbuilding because Paul was too much of a tightwad to spend any money on amenities and comforts.

Beagle 2

I love Macca but there's no denying he's dropped some absolute dog turds over the years.

non capisco

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on March 07, 2020, 07:56:28 PM
It was discussed on Chart Music recently and the most revealing thing they had to say was how fucking miserable the band were while recording it. Paul and Linda were all cosy in the main building while Denny and the lads were freezing their tits off in an outbuilding because Paul was too much of a tightwad to spend any money on amenities and comforts.

The whole section on Mull Of Kintyre on that Chart Music episode is brilliant. My favourite detail is the band getting so bored in that outbuilding that they drew a TV on the wall. Also Taylor's comparison of the first 'warning blast' of the bagpipes being like hearing your upstairs neighbour's washing machine starting its cycle.

BlodwynPig

The very West of The Beatles

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: non capisco on March 07, 2020, 08:57:07 PM
The whole section on Mull Of Kintyre on that Chart Music episode is brilliant. My favourite detail is the band getting so bored in that outbuilding that they drew a TV on the wall. Also Taylor's comparison of the first 'warning blast' of the bagpipes being like hearing your upstairs neighbour's washing machine starting its cycle.

And Macca singing it like he was some sort of born and bred Scottish Laird. Some of us learned the tone of the other side of the single was quite different too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAkoYyo1yyU

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 07, 2020, 06:34:20 PM
#bagpipecunt

I happen to be a bagpipe cunt, thank you very much.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on March 07, 2020, 07:56:28 PM

Mill of Cunt Hire

Mantle Retractor

I saw Macca on tour in 2003 at the Manchester M.E.N. (as it was known then - what were that all about?) and we went on a coach from Blackpool.

There was some middle aged bloke wearing a hideous brown blazer, desperately trying to converse with anyone throughout the journey. The coach was full but he was the only person sat alone.

No one wanted to speak to him or acknowledge him. He got a few polite sighs as he tried to engage others. I am pretty confident he didn't have a learning disability: I strongly suspect he was merely an irksome, over-familiar twat who couldn't reign in his giddiness. He also announced to the coach that he had had Linda McCartney sausages for tea that evening.

After the gig, as the coach was pulling away, he was excitedly running through the set-list and exclaimed:

"I can't believe he didn't play Mull of Kintrye!"

My friend, who didn't want to endure hearing this fucker any more on the way home, stood up and said:

"I can: it's FUCKING SHIT!".

He crumpled into his seat and didn't bother anyone else for the journey home. He needed telling and was told.

It's an awful song.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Drop Dead Fred on March 07, 2020, 11:01:28 PM
I happen to be a bagpipe cunt, thank you very much.

Hope you appreciated the #hashtag then.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Mantle Retractor on March 07, 2020, 11:30:12 PM
There was some middle aged bloke wearing a hideous brown blazer, desperately trying to converse with anyone throughout the journey. The coach was full but he was the only person sat alone.

timebug

Been a musician most of my life and I absolutely refuse to play this steaming pile of old shite!

DrGreggles

Quote from: timebug on March 08, 2020, 09:21:35 AM
Been a musician most of my life and I absolutely refuse to play this steaming pile of old shite!

Said Denny Laine.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Mantle Retractor on March 07, 2020, 11:30:12 PM
I saw Macca on tour in 2003 at the Manchester M.E.N. (as it was known then - what were that all about?) and we went on a coach from Blackpool.

No one wanted to speak to him or acknowledge him. He got a few polite sighs as he tried to engage others. I am pretty confident he didn't have a learning disability: I strongly suspect he was merely an irksome, over-familiar twat who couldn't reign in his giddiness. He also announced to the coach that he had had Linda McCartney sausages for tea that evening.

After the gig, as the coach was pulling away, he was excitedly running through the set-list and exclaimed:

"I can't believe he didn't play Mull of Kintrye!"

My friend, who didn't want to endure hearing this fucker any more on the way home, stood up and said:

"I can: it's FUCKING SHIT!".

He crumpled into his seat and didn't bother anyone else for the journey home. He needed telling and was told.

It's an awful song.

And the entire coach clapped.

Possibly correct in this case.

Head Gardener

Jockice

I actually hold a personal grudge against this song. As you should know by now I was born in Scotland but when I was seven my parents moved to England, and then moved a further twice in the next three years, so was the only Scottish kid at three junior schools, then I went to secondary school, where once more I was the only Scottish kid and was relentlessly...well, not always bullied...but definitely relentlessly asked if we all played bagpipes and wore kilts. Honestly, several times a week, every single week.

This record came out when I was in the first year. I hated it but my dad, who had practically no interest in pop music, liked it. He had a work colleague/friend who was a big Beatles/Wings fan and this may have influenced it. But the bagpipes obviously stirred some nostalgia in him(although we hadn't been forced to leave Scotland. He did it for his job) and not long afterwards he started learning them. Mainly in the bathroom, which was next to my bedroom. And he insisted on leaving them on the landing, so that every time - and yes, I once again mean every time - I brought a new friend back it would be. "HO HO HO, BAGPIPES. DO YOU WEAR A KILT TOO? OCH AYE THE NOO!"  Etc. I used to literally kick the things when I went past them.

Of course if I dared complain I was told that it was part of my heritage (although I can't remember ever hearing them, or my old man showing any interest in them when we actually lived in Scotland) or that I'd apparently learn to appreciate them when I got older. Wrong. Over four decades on I still find them unbearable. And that record. You cunt McCartney.

Dewt

My personal grudge with it is that it was the first song in my learn to play guitar book. Imagine trying to make this sound good, strumming directly on the beat when you're still learning to play a chord cleanly. Horrible.

alan nagsworth

non capisco

It has very much stuck in my memory that someone on here's mum thought he was singing "Rollicking time".

Dewt

DrGreggles

Obligatory link to the Lard's Classic Cuts version:
https://youtu.be/ZZRcVQWjzNg