Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,495
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 06:11:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mull of Kintyre

Started by Dewt, March 07, 2020, 05:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: timebug on March 08, 2020, 09:21:35 AM
Been a musician most of my life and I absolutely refuse to play this steaming pile of old shite!

I've been a bagpiper for half of my 40 years on this planet and even I refuse to willingly play this steaming pile of old shite! It's one of those tunes I only ever bring out of the mental safety cage if somebody absolutely, desperately, has to have it played at their dear old Uncle Jim's or Aunty Morag's funeral. As an end-to-end solo piece, it just doesn't quite work on the pipes. The Campbeltown Pipe Band actually sound quite good on the record though.

Keebleman

I was nine when this was number one and even then I was bewildered by its popularity.  First single to sell two million copies!  I would ask people at school if they liked it, never found anyone who said yes.

Keebleman

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on March 07, 2020, 07:56:28 PM
It was discussed on Chart Music recently and the most revealing thing they had to say was how fucking miserable the band were while recording it. Paul and Linda were all cosy in the main building while Denny and the lads were freezing their tits off in an outbuilding because Paul was too much of a tightwad to spend any money on amenities and comforts.

I'm pretty sure it's the only Wings single where Denny Laine has a writing credit, so presumably he at least feels now that his bollocks were frozen off in a good cause.

phantom_power

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on March 07, 2020, 06:19:22 PM
Name me a better song about the extreme southwesternmost tip of the Kintyre Peninsula.

Not The Entire Kintyre (Just The Tip) by Some Cunt and The Some Cunt Band

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Keebleman on March 09, 2020, 10:52:46 AM
I'm pretty sure it's the only Wings single where Denny Laine has a writing credit, so presumably he at least feels now that his bollocks were frozen off in a good cause.

Laine still has a songwriting credit, but I believe he sold his royalty rights to McCartney when he was on his uppers.

buzby

Quote from: SpiderChrist on March 09, 2020, 12:45:52 PM
Laine still has a songwriting credit, but I believe he sold his royalty rights to McCartney when he was on his uppers.
Apparently McCartney offered to help him out financially but Laine refused as he didn't want his 'charity', so buying the publishing rights for his Wings co-writes off him was the only way he would take money.

According to McCartney, Laine was paid about a million pounds during his time in Wings, and was on a salary of £70,000 a year at the height of their success:
Quote from: Fab Macca Thumbs Aloft
Okay, let's take Denny. I've got receipts in the office for a million pounds paid to him. Now, you tell me a guy in any group who got that for the period we were together. Now, okay, if you think I sound mean after that, I've got to disagree with you. I mean, these people like Denny say, 'He didn't pay us enough.' Well, what I think is, 'Yeah, well, I did.' I know exactly what I paid him. It's a million. And that was worth more than a million is worth now."

Gulftastic

Quote from: Keebleman on March 09, 2020, 10:50:55 AM
I was nine when this was number one and even then I was bewildered by its popularity.  First single to sell two million copies!  I would ask people at school if they liked it, never found anyone who said yes.

I was 7 and liked it. Still have a little warmth towards it, reminding me of happier times in my life. It's a verse too long though (yes yes, 'just one?')

SpiderChrist

Hate it hate it hate it. And, after reading this thread, I got home last night and Mrs S was watching some promotional video compilation show on the telly  - I was greeted on my return home by Mull of Fucking Kintyre.

The track on the other side, Girls School, is very good.

wosl

It can become a grater for sure, but I'd still rather have it on regular-ish rotation (NB: this might mean no more than one spin every fourth year) than Starting Over or Got My Mind Set On You, although, fair dos, the McCartney dates more from a time when his pipes cords were in their prime and match fit. (Sorry for dropping a bit of Scottish barn straw about the place.)