Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:38:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Kubrick: 21 Years Dead

Started by Keebleman, March 07, 2020, 08:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keebleman

Stanley Kubrick died 21 years ago today! While some people are blessed to leave us at the right time, their work done and loose ends tied up or snipped back, Mr K did not. Here are 7 reasons why Stan the Man pegged it too early:

1. 'Eyes Wide Shut' was just about finished when he died. But, just as he re-edited '2001' and 'The Shining' after their respective premieres, I'm sure that he would have taken the scissors to EWS and the version that would have been left to posterity would have been better paced and, well, not quite as silly.

2. There wouldn't have been another decade-plus gap before his next film cos 'AI' was all ready to go.

3. DVDs were just taking off. I have little doubt he would have made good use of the new medium.

4. The Internet was just becoming a part of everyday living. I have no doubt whatsoever that he would have thrived in cyberspace.

5. He was just about to break his deacdes-long withdrawal from public life by sueing Punch for libel. Kubrick in Court would have been a terrific spectacle.

6. Whichever deity is responsible for these things really bolloxed it up by not letting SK live to see the year 2001.

7. I hadn't yet had a chance to meet him.

The opening shot to Clockwork Orange is awesome when seen with that wonderfully bleak bit of synth music that's used throughout the film.

Schmo Diddley

In one of Jon Ronson's books he describes walking around Kubrick's huge house in Sussex or somewhere like that after he died. Apparently he'd sunk about 10 years of research into Napoleon as he wanted to do a film on him, which would've been fascinating. There were literally rooms full of detailed notes on it all apparently. Sounds like a right mad bastard.

chveik

Quote from: Schmo Diddley on March 08, 2020, 07:36:45 AM
In one of Jon Ronson's books he describes walking around Kubrick's huge house in Sussex or somewhere like that after he died. Apparently he'd sunk about 10 years of research into Napoleon as he wanted to do a film on him, which would've been fascinating. There were literally rooms full of detailed notes on it all apparently. Sounds like a right mad bastard.

yes there's an interesting documentary about it, Stanley Kubrick's Boxes  https://vimeo.com/322890808

Bazooka

Saw the thread title and thought shit oh man Kubrick has died, even though I knew he was anyway.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: chveik on March 08, 2020, 10:09:37 AM
yes there's an interesting documentary about it, Stanley Kubrick's Boxes  https://vimeo.com/322890808

I've been searching for this for years, brilliant documentary.

greenman

If he'd lived he might actually have seen more examples of direct influence from his work, a lot of what made it stand out so much at the time was actually that he was swimming against current trends, not just in avoiding simple entertainment blockbuster but sticking with 60's modernism and taking it to extremes when almost everyone else dropped it.