Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:27:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Venus, Cupid, Folly and Time - 30 Years of the Divine Comedy

Started by Bad Ambassador, March 09, 2020, 01:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Ambassador

https://thedivinecomedy.tmstor.es/

He's finally finished remastering his back catalogue, so Neil Hannon's bringing out a 24-disc boxset of all his albums to date, almost all with additional tracks either B-sides or previously unreleased, plus a two-disc set of early unreleased material, AND the long-long-long out of print debut album and two EPs. Annoyingly, the box is limited edition, but £125 for 24 discs doesn't seem like a bad deal. All the regular albums will be available separately.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 09, 2020, 01:45:27 PM
*rubs hands*
I will also be doing that, should I happen to walk past anyone burning this box set.

Captain Z

Very tempting, I've always liked TDC despite never really exploring their catalogue in any depth. Some nice bonuses for Father Ted fans too:

https://thedivinecomedy.tmstor.es/?page=splash2&splash=5e61167ea4337&&preview=on&key=8a18a80b4d8790187207d1af83474fac
My Lovely Horse (from Father Ted)
Father Ted Theme
My Lovely Mayo Mammy (from Father Ted)
The Miracle Is Mine (from Father Ted)

purlieu

Yeah, very excited about this. Despite limited edition, it seems the tracklist hasn't even been completed yet - the bonuses for the last two albums and the Juvineilia CDs haven't been announced - so this far ahead of release, I'd imagine pre-orders will be funding manufacture at the moment. So I doubt there's a chance of it selling out for quite a while (I hope not as I can't afford it yet!). Limited edition will likely refer to it being a one-time pressing.

I calculate 18 studio tracks, five alternate versions, 26 live tracks, nine remixes and six demos missing from the band's catalogue, plus the three live albums and potentially the In May and Swallows & Amazons bonus discs from the last two albums, so it's not quite a comprehensive boxset, but as that's about nine discs worth of material it's understandable.

There is also a Barbican residency in November in which the first ten albums will be played in full, two a night. Oh to be rich.

Jockice

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 09, 2020, 01:46:21 PM
I will also be doing that, should I happen to walk past anyone burning this box set.

You and me both. He has an odd effect on me in being the only pop star who whenever I see or hear him I just want to hit. Smug little tit.

chveik

daf

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on March 09, 2020, 01:38:01 PM
£125 for 24 discs doesn't seem like a bad deal. All the regular albums will be available separately.

Amazon has it for £100 - though it lists it as only having 12 discs - rather than 24, but I suppose that's translating 12 'volumes' in the blurb as discs :
QuoteIn 1990 Neil Hannon started recording and releasing under the name The Divine Comedy. Thirty years and twelve great albums later, Hannon is rightly adjudged one of the finest singer songwriters of his generation.  The limited edition twelve volume CD boxset Venus, Cupid, Folly and Time - Thirty Years of The Divine Comedy brings together all the remastered CD albums and bonus material, as well as new editions of 2016's Foreverland and 2019's Office Politics updated with bonus material and liner notes. It also features Juveneilia - a boxset exclusive 2CD compilation of early material put together by Neil from his personal archive, including recordings stretching back to as early as 1984. It contains the "lost" 1990 album Fanfare For The Comic Muse and long out-of-print EPs Timewatch and Europop.

Brundle-Fly

I've got all his albums and singles on CD so I'm not sure if I can face shelling out all that for essentially a handful of tracks. However, I will definitely be at The Barbican for the first night, if not the second. I wonder if Joby Talbot will return.

purlieu

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 09, 2020, 07:00:14 PM
I've got all his albums and singles on CD so I'm not sure if I can face shelling out all that for essentially a handful of tracks.
129 previously unreleased tracks, plus whatever ends up on the Juveneilia discs and the bonuses for the last two albums. So it's definitely more than a handful.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: purlieu on March 09, 2020, 08:19:34 PM
129 previously unreleased tracks, plus whatever ends up on the Juveneilia discs and the bonuses for the last two albums. So it's definitely more than a handful.

If you put it like that.

daf

Just had my Amazon order for this cancelled - I thought £100 was a bit too good to be true.

Luckily, it was still available on the Divine Comedy website (for £125), so re-ordered it there. Looks like a lovely package.

purlieu

With its slightly delayed release date this is now out on the same day as the Tears for Fears Seeds of Love 5CD boxset, so I've got a couple of months of serious saving ahead to cover my pre-orders.

Kind of surprised we still have no tracklist for Juveneilia or the Foreverland and Office Politics bonus discs at this relatively late stage.

The Mollusk

chveik

this is pretty expensive. have you ever heard of soulseek?

purlieu

Given that there's a book involved, it works out at less than £5 a CD. That's not expensive.

Famous Mortimer

purlieu

purlieu

Unboxing Video.
Looks gorgeous. Love the concise design of all the packages while managing to retain the original artwork too.

I've just ordered this on the strength of that unboxing video. I'm only a casual fan - I only know every other album, but I'm excited about discovering them all.

I was going to spend the equivalent amount on the vinyl reissues of the ones I know, but it wouldn't surprise me to see those come down in price in a year.

DrGreggles

daf

Quote from: purlieu on October 07, 2020, 12:15:30 PM
Unboxing Video.

By the way, does anyone know the name of the (wobbly slide guitar) song that plays over the intro / outro of the Super Deluxe Edition videos? - it's been bugging me for ages!

Quote from: DrGreggles on October 07, 2020, 09:40:22 PM
My delivery isn't due until November.

If you want it quicker, Piccadilly Records shipped mine today (after ordering it yesterday) and it was about a fiver cheaper than anywhere else.

Pink Gregory

I paid for mine yesterday from the Divine Comedy online store but no message about dispatch yet.  I think it was only due out today.

I know that the first batch from the official site are out of stock, so you probably won't receive it until November.

purlieu

It's released tomorrow, but yeah, the official site sold out ages ago and have ordered a second batch for manufacture which will be arriving in November.

daf

I think most of the albums, plus bonus discs, from the boxed set are now on Spotify (listed as '2020 Reissue'), if anyone wants to have a nibble while waiting for postie.

phantom_power

Has the first album officially been erased from history then?

daf

Kind of. It's only available in the box - included on the second disc of 'Juveneilia'

phantom_power

Oh right, so at least it is acknowledged. It would seem a bit odd to pretend it didn't exist