Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:50:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The most famous act you've played on a bill with

Started by Blinder Data, March 10, 2020, 11:31:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinder Data

I know a bunch of us play in bands and such, so I wanna hear about your closest brush to fame when playing gigs. Bonus points for anecdotes where they reveal themselves to be twats.

A couple of years ago my band supported The Orielles. This was slightly before they became 6 music royalty but they definitely were getting there in the indie popularity stakes. Various locally-based musicians of note turned up to see them, including Stevie Pastels.

And that's where my interesting story ends. We didn't chat much at all unfortunately. The thing I remember about them is that they looked ludicrously young and were necking what appeared to be Tesco Value vodka in the tiny green room.

I bet you can do better.

sevendaughters

Frank Sidebottom or John Dwyer (Oh Sees). Didn't meet Frank though, he arrived on site in much secrecy. John was a sweetheart and so glad he's indie famous now.

badaids

Was once in a band offered the chance to support Kelly Clarkson and Chico Time off of X Factor. This was the clinching factor in me deciding to leave that band on account of not wanting to be in a band that could be considered to share a bill with Kelly Clarkson or Chico Time. One of the Goss brother's cousins produced our record.

Big drop off after that - once shared a bill with Ray Winston's daughter, not Jamie one of the other ones. Lois maybe?

A couple of times Hard-Fi game to see us.

This ends my star studded musical career.

Head Gardener

I've DJ supported a few bands over the years - some fond memories of playing with Osibisa (Sunshine Day was their big hit in the 70's) in a club in London to raise money for Palestine.
I did a live soundtrack set alongside Luc Besson's movie Atlantis in a huge tent at the Big Chill Festival in the 00's - it rained really heavy and so the tent filled up with damp folks but
could never work out if they came to see me or just coz it was pissing down, I like to think it was the former.
I supported Don Letts when he came to play in Northampton and played a few festivals in Bristol as well as the fantastic Cube Cinema, some of these sets are in my Mixcloud.

Blinder Data

Quote from: badaids on March 10, 2020, 11:40:01 AM
Was once in a band offered the chance to support Kelly Clarkson and Chico Time off of X Factor. This was the clinching factor in me deciding to leave that band on account of not wanting to be in a band that could be considered to share a bill with Kelly Clarkson or Chico Time. One of the Goss brother's cousins produced our record.

1. Clarkson's Since You've Been Gone is a pop banger for all times so you missed out there

2. Have you seen the Bros documentary? I'm hoping this cousin is even more insecure and annoying

ajsmith2

Jeffrey Lewis (twice)
Half Man Half Biscuit
Eddie Argos DJ set
Sultans of Ping FC
Jim Bob of Carter USM
John Cooper Clark

not really any particularly interesting stories attached to any of them I'm afraid, sorry.

Oh yeah, and I once played Londons 12 Bar club in 2004 the day AFTER an immediately pre-fame James Blunt had played there. I only discovered this years later when I looked out the poster for my gig and saw the previous nights listing was on the reverse, upon which that now infamous 'You're Beautiful' singers name was emblazoned.

SpiderChrist

I was support DJ for Al McKenzie (D Ream) and Rocky & Diesel (X Press 2) at a dingy club before they both had #1 hits, also supported Paul Daley (Leftfield) there too. Supported plenty of other DJs who went on to have top 40 hits as well over the years.

Crazy days.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: ajsmith2 on March 10, 2020, 12:17:51 PM
Jeffrey Lewis (twice)
Half Man Half Biscuit
Eddie Argos DJ set
Sultans of Ping FC
Jim Bob of Carter USM
John Cooper Clark

not really any particularly interesting stories attached to any of them I'm afraid, sorry.

Oh yeah, and I once played Londons 12 Bar club in 2004 the day AFTER an immediately pre-fame James Blunt had played there. I only discovered this years later when I looked out the poster for my gig and saw the previous nights listing was on the reverse, upon which that now infamous 'You're Beautiful' singers name was emblazoned.

This is all very intriguing. Would you like to reveal the name of your band? If you wouldnae, no worries.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on March 10, 2020, 12:57:15 PM
This is all very intriguing. Would you like to reveal the name of your band? If you wouldnae, no worries.

It was spread across 2 bands, The Plimptons played with Argos, SoP FC Jim Bob and JCC, The Hector Collectors played with Jeffrey Lewis and HMHB. I've no problem revealing the name of the groups btw, I'm all about the shameless self promotion of these two acts, as a dive into the further recesses of my posting history as ajsmith (and even this second account to an extent) will confirm.

studpuppet

I was at the Edinburgh Fringe in '91 and in the venue (which had three stages) was an entitled, prissy little madam who was 17 or 18 at the time. She was doing I don't know what, stand-up maybe? Not sure. I saw all the other productions in the venue except hers because she was just so odious (Cambridge University, who got special dispensation to do a version of 'The Wall', two Berkoff plays, an excellent one-man production of 'We', a staging of 'The Handmaid's Tale'). I can only imagine how grating it would have been to watch, and it bombed as far as I can remember. No one liked her at the venue and I think it suited her just fine - ladies and gentlemen, I give you Victoria Coren Mitchell.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: ajsmith2 on March 10, 2020, 01:02:21 PM
It was spread across 2 bands, The Plimptons played with Argos, SoP FC Jim Bob and JCC, The Hector Collectors played with Jeffrey Lewis and HMHB. I've no problem revealing the name of the groups btw, I'm all about the shameless self promotion of these two acts, as a dive into the further recesses of my posting history as ajsmith (and even this second account to an extent) will confirm.

Within mine music collection lurks a track by The Hector Collectors ( on that Mark E. Smith tribute album, innit).

We were once supported BY a little-known Scottish act called The Krankies.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on March 10, 2020, 01:19:50 PM
Within mine music collection lurks a track by The Hector Collectors ( on that Mark E. Smith tribute album, innit).

Ah excellent! Still the only track of ours that's broken the 1000 plays mark (or should I say 'Mark') on Spotify.

SteveDave

Jeffrey Lewis
Robyn Hitchcock
Euros Childs
The Yeah Yeah Yeahs
The Rapture
Wreckless Eric
Helen Love (which is happening again on Thursday)
David Devant And His Spirit Wife
Apples In Stereo

None of them are very "famous" famous though are they?

Lady Gaga played the Moth Club the night before we used it for our wedding reception. Does that count?

Nice SteveDave

Where did you play with Apples In Stereo?

SteveDave

Quote from: Excellent_Biscuits on March 10, 2020, 03:04:07 PM
Nice SteveDave

Where did you play with Apples In Stereo?

The Spitz (RIP). We were meant to play with them in Nottingham Rescue Rooms (I think?) the next day but they couldn't be bothered so Buck 65 was moved up to be headliner.

Icehaven

A band I was in a few years ago supported an American band that included a member of either Frank Zappa's or Captain Beefheart's original band. I can't remember which and I hadn't heard of them before (the band, not Frank Zappa or Captain Beefheart.) We also once did a small local festival where a boyband including at least one former member of Blazin' Squad were on after us. We mocked them of course but they did have a sizeable line of autograph hunters which they dutifully worked their way through so our singer tagged on the end, much to their confusion and our amusement.
Several years before I joined them, the same band supported The Fall, so I missed out there.

Just remembered another band I was/am in played at some C90 anniversary festival thing a few years ago in London, and The Wedding Present and Goldblade were also playing. Some weird email listing David Gedge's rider/other demands was circulated a few weeks before and was hilarious, he wanted all this vegetarian food, and no one was allowed to talk to him or approach him or something.

My other current band played a disastrous charity gig last year where by the time the headline band were on, we were the only audience left in the room, just as they'd been the only audience for us just before them. They'd come all the way over from Ireland (we're in Birmingham) and although they'd done another more successful gig the night before it was still a shame as they were very, very good, and they were taking it all seriously too, they had a manager and they were due to play some much bigger festivals later that year too so I wouldn't be too surprised if they get somewhere, I just wish I could remember what the hell they were called.

Edit; They're called Elevation Falls! Blimey they've been going since 2012 apparently. They all looked about 12.

King Kurt at Camden Underworld.

Hardly obscure merseybeat band on the same bill as The Beatles at the Cavern I know...

PaulTMA

jobotic

Quote from: SteveDave on March 10, 2020, 02:55:09 PM
Jeffrey Lewis
Robyn Hitchcock
Euros Childs
The Yeah Yeah Yeahs
The Rapture
Wreckless Eric
Helen Love (which is happening again on Thursday)
David Devant And His Spirit Wife
Apples In Stereo

None of them are very "famous" famous though are they?

Lady Gaga played the Moth Club the night before we used it for our wedding reception. Does that count?

Good line up. Where's Helen Love on Thursday? Only seen her once but it was Big Joanie supporting. Who were great.

easytarget

Dead Boys (old punks) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Boys
Played with them on the 40th Anniversary of Young Loud and Snotty. I can confirm they're no longer young, our singer can confirm they're not so snotty that they can't hoover up jazz powders in the 'green room' (the grim space just behind the stage, separating today's top flight acts from the pop crazed youth with a ragged curtain).

Blowfly (Dirty, parody act) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowfly_(musician)
Supposedly a big hit with 'the ladies'. I didn't see nothing.

Alice Bag (early punk) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_Bag
Was very sweet to us.

The Black Tones (much hyped Seattle band) [no wiki, maybe they're not famous outside of my bubble]
Opened for us. Twice.

Never really got to chat with any of these acts as I get even more antisocial before I have to go do music at people. I don't think this is uncommon.

jobotic

All vicarious for me.

My friends played with Damo Suzuki in Gillingham in a since demolished pub.

My dad's band supported The Pretty Things in Paris sometime in the sixties.

Puce Moment

I was in a band that supported lots of people, but I remember supporting a Charles Hayward trio at, I think, The Laurel Tree in Camden. Probably 1992, as I think I was 17.

badaids

Quote from: Blinder Data on March 10, 2020, 12:04:53 PM
1. Clarkson's Since You've Been Gone is a pop banger for all times so you missed out there

2. Have you seen the Bros documentary? I'm hoping this cousin is even more insecure and annoying

Since You Been Gone, Yeah, but still there's Chico to consider. I was a stuck up snob in those days.

The doc is hilarious. Goss cousin was a nice guy, eccentric but lovely, nothing like the Bros Goss, one of those annoying multi talented bastards who could pick up any instrument and get beautiful sounds out of it. Party trick was using a metal detector as a theremin on stage. Had worked with Radiohead and Supergrass in their early days. Worked as a tech on Hound of Love, his main job making Kate Bush bacon sandwiches without any bacon in. Downside: born again Christian type.

kngen

Played in a hardcore 'supergroup' of sorts with J Mascis on drums for one song. Man, he can still play like a champ.

My old band's second-ever gig was with Refused just when they'd released The Shape of Punk to Come (and were starting to disappear up their own arses). Singer Dennis Lyxen joined us on stage and lent some authentic Swedish vocals to our cover of the Scandi punk classic Warsystem by The Shitlickers. That was quite cool, nonetheless.

Played with Gallhammer in Osaka. Their guitarist had just left (taking any semblance of musical talent with her, it seems, as they were absolutely dreadful).

Played with Systematic Death in Tokyo (different band, different tour). Probably means nothing to anyone not obsessed with Japanese punk, but this was 'pinch yourself to check you're not dreaming' time for me. Definitely in my Top 3 all-time great musical experiences, followed closely by members of SxOxB turning up to see us in Kyoto, and getting a signed, personalised book of art from Kazuhiro ('the Japanese Pushead') who did all the band's cover art among many others. Then we all went out for beer and ramen afterwards. It was like a Make A Wish Foundation trip, except without the tragic epilogue.

The Culture Bunker

I'm almost pleased that all the other acts on bills I've been part of in previous bands also amounted to nowt, as it makes me feel less bitter about the whole experience.

My kid brother used to sing in a band that once, I think, supported Ash when they played round my old way. This was after the second album had bombed a bit and their profile was in the gutter prior to the third album. Hence why they were resorting to playing shitholes like the Civic Hall in Whitehaven. Then, sometime after the tour being booked, 'Shining Light' became a huge hit and they were suddenly back in the big time: to their credit, they didn't act up about doing shows in a tiny venue in the arse end of nowhere while their single was in the top ten.

Inspector Norse

I've played five-a-side with Eagle Eye Cherry, does that count?

MiddleRabbit

The last proper band I was in were supported by Travis before their first album came out.  We were a relatively big deal, if only locally at the time.  Most bands played the Adelphi, which held about 150, and we, alone among our contemporaries, could get a few hundred more than that so we played The Welly - a nightclub where we also rehearsed. 

Travis were very pleasant and, notably, had stage patter down to a fine art, even by that point.  They were nice chaps.

We also supported a Bez DJ set at The Welly, at which he spent the entire night in the dressing room with us, getting shitfaced.  Our drummer had a gun pulled on him by one of his (multitudinous) hangers on for offering to skin up with his gear.  It was a bit hairy win them, but Bez, contrary to his public persona was about the most well mannered, affable and articulate chap you could hope to meet.  I realised, belatedly, that his google eyed, spitting-as-he-speaks persona was mainly to keep people at arm's length.

'Aziz', which featured Aziz Ibrahim (who'd replaced John Squire in The Stone Roses), we supported at The Adelphi.  His rhythm section was Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce, formerly of The Smiths.  Both of them were lovely, Andy Rourke went around plugging us for a while and got us through the door at Uglyman records, which were about to go into a period of hibernation for a while, unfortunately for us.  He was also off his tits in acid but none the worse for that.  Mike Joyce was more than happy to tell us all about Johnny Marr, Mozzer, the court case and his newfound wealth, all of which which I was interested in, especially The Smiths' stuff, even though my bandmates weren't because they hated The Smiths.  Aziz was rather more impressed with himself and appeared to take umbrage at my turning down his offer to use his Marshall stack because I was quite happy with my Fender Twin.  Our drummer, as was usually the case, was offered and accepted use of Joyce's shells.  Whereas most drummers won't share their snare or cymbals, Joyce was quite happy for ours to use his.

Cressa, The Stone Roses' dancer and midiverb controller through 1989, had a band for a while and we supported them, who weren't up to much.  He was okay, although he didn't have much time for anything other than complaining about Reni being on the brown, while smoking smack off a KitKat wrapper in the back room. 

Oh, nearly forgot, the band I was in before that supported The La's in about 1996 when they were in a right state.  Cammy was on bass, instead of guitar and Lee, who'd been playing the guitar for about  a month spent the gig getting shouted at by Lee Mavers, who ended up head butting someone in the crowd.  Ironically, they were alright with us.  We already knew Cammy and Neil who'd played Hull as Bullet, in between another La's break.  The highlight of my guitar playing career was Lee Mavers asking for my number and telling me I could doss at his house for a bit if I fancied joining The La's.  Which I did, naturally.  Unfortunately, he never rang me.  I console myself that at that gig, he lost his cassette of his new recordings, so I like to think my phone number was with that.  Even if it wasn't.  I was on tenterhooks for months...

Anyone remember Hammel On Trial?  His manager came to see us a month or so before he was due to play the Adelphi and we ended up supporting him and accepting his offer to manage us before it was retracted for unspecified reasons

Finally, we 'supported' Paulo Nutini just before his records came out, but after he got signed.  He was a nice chap too.  His manager had asked for us to support him because he was interested in us.  We ballsed that one up through drink and drugs too.

So, basically, most musicians I played with turned out to be bloody lovely, yeah.  Do I miss it?  Not really the gigging, to be honest.  I found being a band a pain in the arse most of the time, but the sense of impending excitement, I miss that a bit, yes.

SteveDave

Quote from: jobotic on March 10, 2020, 05:18:13 PM
Good line up. Where's Helen Love on Thursday? Only seen her once but it was Big Joanie supporting. Who were great.

The Lexington in that London. Supported by me and Mark Radcliffe's new synth duo Une.