Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:31:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The most famous act you've played on a bill with

Started by Blinder Data, March 10, 2020, 11:31:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

h4huggy

Nirvana
Mudhoney
White Stripes
New York Dolls
Thee Headcoats
Mike Strutter
The Raincoats
The Cramps
Johnny Moped
REM
Beck
The Snivelling Shits
Fall Outs
Girl Trouble
Masonics
Downliners Sect
Art Brut

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on March 10, 2020, 08:41:33 PM
MiddleRabbit, You were in Fonda 500?

Ha!  No, although they were the band at my mates' sixth form, back in the day, as they didn't say then.  They were well in with Jacko of Adelphi fame and all I ever did was piss him off.  With hindsight, Jacko was the nice man and I was the dick.

I knew a few people who were though.  Their first bass player, who was sacked, I knew a bit.  She was a bit up herself.  I knew the guitar player better and he was a nice lad.  The singer, well, I wasn't as impressed with him as he was.

Haha really huggy?? That's incredible!!! What was the band? Mines nowhere near as impressive, and was mainly bands headlining uni summer balls etc, who were famous and now still doing the circuit milking their one or two hits. The exceptions being Michael Kiwanuka and the Rizzle kicks, who we played with when they were still unknown but a couple of months away from becoming huge.

Feeder
Kelis
Tony Law (absolutely bombed at a uni summer ball thing, but seemed very nonchalant about it and just saw it as a bit of extra money made of an afternoon before playing a "proper" gig that night. Was a really lovely guy)
Professor Green
The Hoosiers
Wheatus (the main guy was the only original member of the band, and came across as a complete tool, giving it the big I am to us lot. "Do not step on this blue cable, we're along way from New York, we've still got 50 dates to do" ...no "hi guys" just started going off on 1 about this cable. It was weird. Also he was a potbwllied balding middle aged man singing about being a teenage dirt bag to kids who were probably about 8 when the song was released)
Fearne Cotton met us and invited us to do an Introducing Session at Maida Vale, where we worked with a producer called Miti Adhikari, who ended up travelling to cardiff to do some further recording with us...google him, hes worked with all kinds of people including Nirvana and Foo Fighters...he used to do the sound for foo fighters when they toured the uk

It was a very poppy band so I know these people are all a bit vanilla, but it was still a very special and memorable couple of years for me

h4huggy

Thanks , but it sounds more impressive from thirty years away. The band were Armitage Shanks and we never got to play a summer ball , although the bass player won a grammy for his production work and slap bass abilities.

famethrowa

Quote from: Misspent Boners on March 10, 2020, 08:59:31 PM

Wheatus (the main guy was the only original member of the band, and came across as a complete tool, giving it the big I am to us lot. "Do not step on this blue cable, we're along way from New York, we've still got 50 dates to do" ...no "hi guys" just started going off on 1 about this cable. It was weird. Also he was a potbwllied balding middle aged man singing about being a teenage dirt bag to kids who were probably about 8 when the song was released)

Jeez I just looked them up and they've had more than 30 members through that band... you coulda joined!

famethrowa

How about this, Olivia Newton-John?  We were doing a function and the "main" band was setting up before us, I thought they were a party band and I thought "hey that bass player looks like Gail Dorsey". Turns out it was Gail Dorsey and we did our little set then watched Livvy float her way thru Xanadu and all that.

Also supported whiter than white bread Carrie Underwood for a bit of a tour, she had the total cliche cockney cigar chomping baldo manager, I engaged them in chat about the Albert Hall and they had no idea what I was talking about. Great stuff.

PaulTMA

Quote from: PaulTMA on March 10, 2020, 04:56:33 PM
Charlotte Church

some others which may/may not be of note:

R. Stevie Moore
Pete Doherty
Darren Hayman
Camera Obscura
Bjorn Again
The High Llamas (fact: were dicks)
Razorlight
Tracyanne & Danny
James Yorkston
My Life Story
Girl Ray
Asian Dub Foundation (smacked one of them in the face with my instrument, was definitely an accident)
Vashti Bunyan
Dodgy
The Wave Pictures
The Charlatans
Amy McDonald (friend of mine put his bare balls on top of her car)
Fun' Lovin Criminals
Hawkwind
Embrace
John Grant
Wolfgang Flur
both Jim Bob and Fruitbat (but not at the same time)
Gwenno
John Cooper Clarke

McFlymo

Dan Le Sac & Scroobius Pip

and err........

Brian Kennedy.

another Mr. Lizard

Am not in a band myself but my partner is, and I carry all her gear (two saxophones, a mic stand, and several bags) to most shows. Ska tribute act, doing 2-Tone and 60s material. They got a support slot with Neville Staple a couple of years ago - a couple of weeks prior, he'd asked to see their set list in order to ensure no duplication with his own. Fair enough, in fact very good preparation for the night.

On the day of the gig, we turned up - Neville was sound-checking and we watched from a distance. No acknowledgment from him or any of his band that we were there, no hello or anything. They completed the soundcheck and disappeared backstage. A few minutes later, a demand came to see our setlist. A few minutes after that, another message arrived to say there were half-a-dozen scheduled songs that Nev wanted removing. With about twenty minutes to go. Because he can.

We had a lovely free curry backstage, my missus and her band played up a storm, and we fucked off without sticking around for the headliner.

jobotic

Quote from: h4huggy on March 10, 2020, 09:13:28 PM
Thanks , but it sounds more impressive from thirty years away. The band were Armitage Shanks and we never got to play a summer ball , although the bass player won a grammy for his production work and slap bass abilities.

I've seen you! Think we may have mutual friends.

Jockice

Quote from: another Mr. Lizard on March 11, 2020, 08:01:31 AM
Am not in a band myself but my partner is, and I carry all her gear (two saxophones, a mic stand, and several bags) to most shows. Ska tribute act, doing 2-Tone and 60s material. They got a support slot with Neville Staple a couple of years ago - a couple of weeks prior, he'd asked to see their set list in order to ensure no duplication with his own. Fair enough, in fact very good preparation for the night.

On the day of the gig, we turned up - Neville was sound-checking and we watched from a distance. No acknowledgment from him or any of his band that we were there, no hello or anything. They completed the soundcheck and disappeared backstage. A few minutes later, a demand came to see our setlist. A few minutes after that, another message arrived to say there were half-a-dozen scheduled songs that Nev wanted removing. With about twenty minutes to go. Because he can.

We had a lovely free curry backstage, my missus and her band played up a storm, and we fucked off without sticking around for the headliner.

That's not the first story I've heard about him being a cunt.

timebug

Way back in the mists of time, out band played on the same bill as the (then unknown) Joe Cocker and the grease Band.

holyzombiejesus

Another vicarious one for me but my friends toured with Coldplay. Apparently they were really nice people and paid them a significant amount out of their own pockets so they could afford to go and support. When they played a large venue (one of those that has the bands' names on a cinema style listing board), my friends' band's name wasn't on it so Chris Martin asked the venue if they'd get someone to go up there and add them on.

Quote from: Jockice on March 11, 2020, 08:50:15 AM
That's not the first story I've heard about him being a cunt.

Yeah, a workmate of mine plays in a long established Ska band and hates his guts.

Neville Chamberlain

I've never met a Neville who was anything less than a total cunt.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 11, 2020, 09:30:16 AM
Another vicarious one for me but my friends toured with Coldplay. Apparently they were really nice people and paid them a significant amount out of their own pockets so they could afford to go and support. When they played a large venue (one of those that has the bands' names on a cinema style listing board), my friends' band's name wasn't on it so Chris Martin asked the venue if they'd get someone to go up there and add them on.

Yeah, as much as I hate Coldplay's music with every fibre of my pathetic being, I can also confirm that, after talking to him for ten minutes or so in a hotel lobby, Chris Martin is a thoroughly decent chap.

Neville Chamberlain

If I might be allowed to extend the remit of this thread from The most famous act you've played on a bill with to Bands you were sitting mere metres away from in the pub but had no idea that they were anyone famous and just thought they were a bunch of spotty Irish scamps, then I'd add Westlife.

king_tubby

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstar_(band)

I think this was the first gig we played where our drummer wasn't driving and therefore spent the afternoon drinking homebrewed gin flavoured liqueur, fell into his drums during the third song and jumped off the stage and stumbled off in to the night.

ajsmith2

Quote from: timebug on March 11, 2020, 09:21:26 AM
Way back in the mists of time, out band played on the same bill as the (then unknown) Joe Cocker and the grease Band.

Wow. Impressed. Don't suppose you'd mind sharing the name of your band?

Icehaven

Quote from: Misspent Boners on March 10, 2020, 08:59:31 PM

Wheatus (the main guy was the only original member of the band, and came across as a complete tool, giving it the big I am to us lot. "Do not step on this blue cable, we're along way from New York, we've still got 50 dates to do" ...no "hi guys" just started going off on 1 about this cable. It was weird.

Quote from: famethrowa on March 10, 2020, 10:31:40 PM
Jeez I just looked them up and they've had more than 30 members through that band... you coulda joined!

Grumpy middle aged man who's the only consistent member? Dozens of members over the years? Jesus, are Wheatus America's version of The Fall?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: icehaven on March 11, 2020, 11:59:42 AM
Grumpy middle aged man who's the only consistent member? Dozens of members over the years? Jesus, are Wheatus America's version of The Fall?

Maybe they could rename themselves "Autumn".

Fisher Goes Berserk

Probably Scritti Politti.

Super jealous of h4huggy!

gilbertharding

My answer is 'Pröhibitiön' (I think that's the right combination of umlauts), the early 90s Huntingdonshire goth outfit.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: timebug on March 11, 2020, 09:21:26 AM
Living where we do (I was in Chesterfield), every person of a certain age has a Cocker story, partly because he's fantastic, but partly because he played every shitty pub and workingmen's club for years before he hit it big. My Dad worked the door for a number of his gigs in our area, apparently.

Puce Moment

Quote from: h4huggy on March 10, 2020, 09:13:28 PMThanks , but it sounds more impressive from thirty years away. The band were Armitage Shanks and we never got to play a summer ball , although the bass player won a grammy for his production work and slap bass abilities.

I thought it was going to be something Medway linked just based on that roster of bands. I saw Shanks quite a few times back in the day, as well as Thee Headcoats/Headocatees. Shanks were brilliant fun.

h4huggy

Ah thanks , we had a great time and I'm still Snodland's second best singer.

DukeDeMondo

I supported Emmy The Great either just ahead of her first proper album coming out, or just after. My performance was absolutely, unbelievably, unutterably fucking terrible. Emmy herself was fantastic, and I told her after. She said "oh thank you, I really enjoyed your set, too," but I know she did not, for she was outside talking with my friend for most of it. He couldn't hack it either.

I appeared on at least one bill with Richard Dawson around the time of his first album, too, maybe more than one. I dunno, things get all fuzzed up in my head now where that whole stretch of my hours and times is concerned. I think I was better on those occasions. I couldn't have been any worse, Jesus knows.