Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:59:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The most famous act you've played on a bill with

Started by Blinder Data, March 10, 2020, 11:31:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on March 11, 2020, 10:25:41 AM
I've never met a Neville who was anything less than a total cunt.

There was a Neville in the year above me at school who was a thoroughly decent chap. He apparently died a couple of years ago. Do you feel guilty now?

New page staple diet.

Jockice

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on March 11, 2020, 10:30:14 AM
If I might be allowed to extend the remit of this thread from The most famous act you've played on a bill with to Bands you were sitting mere metres away from in the pub but had no idea that they were anyone famous and just thought they were a bunch of spotty Irish scamps, then I'd add Westlife.

Er, I once sat at the same table in a cafe as Gerard Langley without realising who he was. Which is very strange because although not really a fan I was quite familiar with the Blue Aeroplanes and had previously seen them live more than once.

Chriddof

Quote from: studpuppet on March 10, 2020, 01:03:44 PM
I was at the Edinburgh Fringe in '91 and in the venue (which had three stages) was an entitled, prissy little madam who was 17 or 18 at the time. She was doing I don't know what, stand-up maybe? Not sure. I saw all the other productions in the venue except hers because she was just so odious (Cambridge University, who got special dispensation to do a version of 'The Wall', two Berkoff plays, an excellent one-man production of 'We', a staging of 'The Handmaid's Tale'). I can only imagine how grating it would have been to watch, and it bombed as far as I can remember. No one liked her at the venue and I think it suited her just fine - ladies and gentlemen, I give you Victoria Coren Mitchell.

https://youtu.be/1tB7pb070mk

jobotic

Quote from: SteveDave on March 10, 2020, 07:59:54 PM
The Lexington in that London. Supported by me and Mark Radcliffe's new synth duo Une.

I'm at a meeting all day about 15 minutes from the lexington with my train fare paid for. Goddammit. Need to be clear headed in the morning anyway but should have planned this better. Probably sold out anyway. Have a good night.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Chriddof on March 11, 2020, 11:18:15 PM
https://youtu.be/1tB7pb070mk

Uncannily similar to the young David Baddiel in terms of material choice and delivery ( and unfunniness, orbviously; but she was 19, not 29, to be fair).

maett

Blessed Ethel at a youth centre festival in 1995 I think. Though I think they didn't show up because we were asked if we'd play again in the evening only this time on the main stage but half the band had buggered off home or to get stoned/come down off acid.

Brundle-Fly

I once offered my services as a human beatbox during a Momus gig about twenty odd years ago. The only volunteer, I might add. Currie got me on stage and I provided the backing to the song I Was A Maoist Intellectual. I even added some 'turntablism SFX' during the break in the number which got a round of applause. Get me etc. I was the fourth Fat Boy.

cosmic-hearse

Quote from: h4huggy on March 10, 2020, 09:13:28 PM
Thanks , but it sounds more impressive from thirty years away. The band were Armitage Shanks and we never got to play a summer ball , although the bass player won a grammy for his production work and slap bass abilities.

Armitage Shanks were great! I'm pretty sure l saw you play at St John's Tavern in Archway (at one of the pre Dirty Water Club nights run by a man called Slim - whatever happened to him?).

Trying to remember 'big' bands I've played with. The best was playing in an impromptu backing band for Dee Dee Ramone (completely unrehearsed - we did 3 or 4 Ramones tunes). Dee Dee was lovely and very humble for a bona fide musical legend (the drugs had clearly taken their toll, mind).

Bands I have supported:
Bikini Kill
Team Dresch
Bis
Sexton Ming
Leatherface
Cathedral

And that's about it, bar lots of bands that mean little outside punk/HC circles (FYP, Tragedy, Tear It Up et al).

Barney Sloane

King Prawn
Toots and the Maytals
Bad Manners
The Toasters
The Beat
Leapy Lee (yes, really)

I also depped for a band who were supporting Neville S. a couple of years ago. I didn't get to meet him as I got there not long before stage time, but I stuck around for the main event and thought he was bloody awful, despite the fact that his band were pretty tight.

Brundle-Fly

Off the top of me head:

The Wedding Present
The Seers
The Pop Guns
Cud
Foreheads In A Fishtank
Thrilled Skinny
Benny Profane
New Fast Automatic Daffodils

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on March 11, 2020, 06:51:59 PM
I appeared on at least one bill with Richard Dawson around the time of his first album, too, maybe more than one. I dunno, things get all fuzzed up in my head now where that whole stretch of my hours and times is concerned. I think I was better on those occasions. I couldn't have been any worse, Jesus knows.   

If you've lived in Newcastle at any point over the last twenty years and was into music, you've probably shared a bill with Richard Dawson.  I have, and I'm not even in a proper band.

Goldentony

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 13, 2020, 03:25:25 PM
What's your band, Barney?

I'd have said Lightyear but they were about the size of King Prawn so i'll guess Whitmore

DJ Bob Hoskins

Dr Alex Paterson*
The Exploited

*I've been told he's not a qualified medical doctor.

Barney Sloane

Quote from: Goldentony on March 13, 2020, 05:39:53 PM
I'd have said Lightyear but they were about the size of King Prawn so i'll guess Whitmore

Colour me flattered! Sadly, the King Prawn support slot was at the Bull and Gate with a short-lived experimental electro-punk band called Pope in about 1995. (We only did a handful of gigs - the most memorable being when we opened for a cock-rock band at the Robey. Top programming!)

The remainder were with Ska-Boom and a sixties covers band.

Rock, and indeed, roll.

sovietrussia

Can't compete with any of this, but did support Skullflower in 1992 and our hackneyed indie pop went over much better than their unfocused noise onslaught (and they had to borrow our guitarist's RAT pedal due to them liking the sound of it during sound check).