Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:53:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ori and the Will of the Wisps (Game Pass game)

Started by Sheffield Wednesday, March 10, 2020, 05:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheffield Wednesday

It's a platformer, it's a Metroidvania, it's a 2D yaaawwwwnnnn. It's sending you to sleep just thinking about it, right?

It's one of the most beautiful games of the generation. Check out the IGN review below to see it in motion.

https://youtu.be/6JxfuAl4KLM

If you set your XB location to NZ and download it from the NZ marketplace, you can play it now. Otherwise, tomorrow.

Pseudopath

Can't wait. Fucking love Metroidvanias and Blind Forest was an absolute work of art. Heard there are a few annoying bugs with the initial release, but the Day 1 patch seems to fix most of them.

Sheffield Wednesday

Quote from: bgmnts on March 10, 2020, 09:17:01 PM
Blind Forest was gash so pass for me.

I love that you're like a miserable old bastard and you're what, four, five years old? It's genuinely heartwarming to me. If you were a rapper you would be Lil' Crank.

madhair60

Pseudopath

Bloody hell...this game is amazing. Although I am starting to regret choosing Normal difficulty - that second Combat Shrine took me far too long to complete.

Blue Jam

Anyone else playing (or trying to) on an Xbone S and finding it crashes every time you try and start the bloody game?

Moribunderast

Playing this on PC. It really is very pretty. I'd forgotten how difficult the first could be - got my arse kicked at a very early stage and after I finally got through it my reward was an upgrade I doubt I'll ever use, haha. A bit lost as to where to go at the moment so am just kinda wandering around seeing if any of my new upgrades have made new areas available to me. Enjoying it so far. Metroidvania games really hone in on the OCD-leaning part of my brain. Find it very hard to put them down.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Moribunderast on March 13, 2020, 02:48:48 AM
A bit lost as to where to go at the moment so am just kinda wandering around seeing if any of my new upgrades have made new areas available to me.

Yeah...if there is one criticism, it's not always clear how to actually get to new destinations outside the known map or if you've currently got the powerup required to get to them.

I must have been wandering around for about an hour trying to figure out how to get past that Kwolok statue before I stumbled across the bow and arrow upgrade. Even then it took me a while to realise I had to actually equip it (I was too fond of the big fuck-off hammer to bother with it) and shoot those blue targets to progress.

Great if you're a fan of grinding though and the combat is super-satisfying.

C_Larence

Don't have an XBOX, played the first one for five minutes at a friend's house and wasn't blown away but I'm sure it's great. The name makes me think of Brexit.

beanheadmcginty

Blue Jam

Werking on my Xbone S now. Very pretty but very much on rails. Soothing enough but not much fun yet. Does it get better?

bgmnts

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 14, 2020, 09:19:45 PM
Werking on my Xbone S now. Very pretty but very much on rails. Soothing enough but not much fun yet.

I feel the same way about Train Sim World.

Blue Jam

brat-sampson

Playing on PC and it's kinda buggy. Takes a while to load back in after deaths, and that sometimes includes weird freezes and Mass Rumble being sent to the controller. Otherwise though it's great. Lots of juicy secrets, fun platforming, utterly gorgeous etc. Doesn't seem to be as hard so far as people were making out though, I've finished nearly 3 of the possible paths you can choose from after the game opens up and frankly just wailing on everything with the hammer works wonders. I used an ability from one area to wreck the shit of the boss at the end of another, so some things do seem a little overpowered, considering I could have done these in a different order I assume.

Overall though, totally worth playing, especially for GamePass users.

Abnormal Palm

Still too buggy for me unfortunately so I've gone back to the first game, restarted it on Xbox One X and it's a tribute to how good the Switch version looks that the original on XB isn't that much better looking. Will of the Wisps is in a completely different class visually but I'll be waiting on patches to get that where it needs to be.