Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:39:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

War of the Worlds (Fox/Canal+)

Started by Puce Moment, March 13, 2020, 03:18:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puce Moment

SPOILERS WITHIN

Yeah, not that BBC shite, evidenced by the dropping of the "The' in the title (apparently). This is a very, very loose adaptation of Welles' novel, relocating the action to various parts of Europe, and using a familiar ensemble structure that does not work particularly well.

I have to say that I gave up on this at around episode 4 because it was moving so mercilessly slowly, and was employing the Walking Dead technique of putting dramatic action into the opening and closing of episodes, filling up the middle with long, talky scenes of just about nothing. I have since persevered with this, with few rewards.

Some shit conventions the programme adopts:

- Bad egg/Bad seed son turns out to be
Spoiler alert
the product of rape
[close]
- Bad egg changes his entire personality in the space of about 10mins
- Scientist battling to 'understand' rather than just fighting them
- Folks liberally copping off despite lack of washing and/or fear of getting shot in the back of the head by one of the Derek Dogs
- Blind woman turns out to have
Spoiler alert
special abilities
[close]
- Black character a refugee who lost all his family, and is rejected by middle-class white people

The scene where professional Bryan Ferry look-a-likey Gabriel Byrne has to physically fight one of these flimsy Derek Dogs is appalling. He does his best to make it look real, but it's clear he is just throwing a shit prop around. It's hard to fathom why they maintained these level 1 antagonsts for the entire run of the series after seeing them get killed with little to no effort.

Anyway, I'm up to close to the end of the final episode of the series, and you might not be surprised to hear that those
Spoiler alert
iconic alien Scout Walkers do not make an appearance
[close]
. It's just shit Derek Dogs.

Puce Moment

Also,
Spoiler alert
using sound fucks them up
[close]
. Easy peasy.

Malcy

Quote from: Puce Moment on March 13, 2020, 03:27:40 PM
Also,
Spoiler alert
using sound fucks them up
[close]
. Easy peasy.

Spoiler alert
Mars Attacks then.
[close]

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Wait a minute, are we not slowly watching this on Fox like normal people?! Fuck you for tempting me with the promise of a thread that unfolds along with the series.

Puce Moment

Wait a minute, are we not watching this at our own convenience the moment it becomes available to download like any sane person who does not want to fund Fox?

timebug

I don't fund anyone, (having a pal who is a wizard in the 'making things' department), and after reading this thread I looked the series up and am almost through it. Enjoying it for what it is,and it pisses all over the recent BBC abomination. Bit slow moving yes, but it passes the odd hour when I am otherwise bored.

Puce Moment

Quote from: timebug on March 20, 2020, 09:20:42 AMI don't fund anyone, (having a pal who is a wizard in the 'making things' department), and after reading this thread I looked the series up and am almost through it. Enjoying it for what it is,and it pisses all over the recent BBC abomination. Bit slow moving yes, but it passes the odd hour when I am otherwise bored.

That's how I felt by the end of the run. Passably distracting, but not the seething, menacing SF I was hoping for.

timebug

Finished the series,and totally agree. Had potential, maybe still has, if they don't waste it in series 2?