Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:12:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Electrelane's "The Power Out", dazzling post-punk from 2004

Started by alan nagsworth, March 14, 2020, 12:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

This album came up on Spotify's algorithm not long ago. I knew the band name but I figured I woulda known about them already by now if they were any good, obsessed as I am with the mid-'00s indie scene. But NO I was WRONG because this album is ACE. Emailed an old friend about it because I knew he'd love it and he was like "been a firm favourite of mine for years mate where you been". Fuck.

It's got some real insistent grooves on it, mostly owed to those simple but effective dance drums, but it's just as scrappy and fun in some areas as it is sweet and lilting in others. Needless to say this thing has The Breeders and Stereolab all the fuck over it. French pop, kraut rhythms, distorted guitar, honestly every tune is a hit in its own right. They nailed a vibe so hard on this album and fuck knows if any of their other stuff's even half as good as this because it's one of those albums that just shimmers all on its own and there's enough eclectic flavour on it that you're more than happy to play it twice in a row.

On Parade

Enter Laughing

Birds

Honestly if you find owt enjoyable in any of these tracks, give the full album a go. It's packed with hooks, I can only do it so much justice by linking a few taster tracks.

Puce Moment

jobotic

Got a couple of singles by them, will get them out.

I remember loving their version of The Partisan.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Yeah, fucking excellent album and band. Their cover of  " I'm On Fire" is a corker too, and I 'm sure they've covered a Roxy Music song. I saw them at a festival in London a few years back, and they were on before the frankly rubbish Warpaint. It was like the Beatles supporting the Bootleg Beatles.

non capisco

Their slightly later song 'To The East' is a longstanding late night favourite in Capisco Towers. I put them in the same bracket as Quickspace, bands who aim to capture something perhaps beyond their natural abilities and end up creating something new and vital in the process.

holyzombiejesus

The Valleys is my favourite off that album. Used to play it lots when I djed in bars and needed a pint or a piss.

sevendaughters

used to put This Deed on every mixtape from 2004-2008. their best record and they were very fun live around the time.

Goldentony

saw them at atp in 2006 and the bassist was on the same first train home, very good band