Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:44:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Video Game Cinema

Started by bgmnts, March 14, 2020, 11:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Yes.

Resident Evil 1-3
Mortal Kombat (one of the best movies ever made)
Tomb Raider
Street Fighter II: The Movie

No.

House of the Dead
Alone in the Dark
Mortal Kombat Annihilation
Street Fighter
Prince of Persia
Double Dragon

Go.

Should be in movie subforum fucksaaaaaake.

Wonderful Butternut

A lot more "No" than "Yes" here. Doom is definitely a "No". The rest of Uwe Boll's catalogue probably goes into the "No" category too.

Ehm... I remember a Final Fantasy film (Spirits Within, possibly?) being decent. But I only saw it once a long time ago.

popcorn

Mister Six

The one with Chun Li's soapy tits.

Mister Six

(Also, how did you manage to not put this in either of the applicable forums, ye daft nelly?)

Schmo Diddley

Super Mario Brothers. I enjoyed it as a kid but we're I to watch it again I'm sure it'd be terrible.

Also had the most obvious setup for a sequel right at the end that never happened due to its shitness.

Dex Sawash

Dex Sawash

Shaky

Quote from: Schmo Diddley on March 15, 2020, 11:12:07 AM
Super Mario Brothers. I enjoyed it as a kid but we're I to watch it again I'm sure it'd be terrible.

Also had the most obvious setup for a sequel right at the end that never happened due to its shitness.

Even though I was huge fan of the games I somehow missed the film until I forced myself to watch it last year, some 26 years after it came out. I - genuinely - don't think it's that bad and there are a fair few bits which actually work quite well. I certainly wasn't bored, despite being a jaded old prick. Hoskins and Leguizamo are an OK double act despite both disowning the film later on.

DoesNotFollow

Open the door, get on the floor

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The story was a bit balls, but I remember Silent Hill being effectively scary, which is all you need from a horror film.

evilcommiedictator

Give me a Deus Ex movie and the reccomended amount of drugs to make it make sense

Mister Six

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 15, 2020, 12:39:25 PM
The story was a bit balls, but I remember Silent Hill being effectively scary, which is all you need from a horror film.

Aye. The sequel with Jon Snow was impressive in its total crapness though. Managed to both not make sense on its own terms while directly contradicting the original.

Yeah, I reckon that first Silent Hill film is the best videogame film of all time.

Mrs Six made me watch Angry Birds and it was surprisingly not terrible. Which doesn't mean it was good; the script is mostly just a collection of puns about eggs (like a bird's egg) and pigs. But the visuals are properly lush, weirdly. Just wish they'd redirected some of that money to the writing team.

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu is the same deal, except the script is actively shite. Well, except for the bit with the mime.

Yeah, I think Silent Hill is the only good one I've seen.

C_Larence

The Silent Hill director's justification for swapping the father from the games to a mother in the movies presented without comment..

QuoteIt quickly became clear however that Harry never acted like a masculine character He was constantly dizzy, fainting, talking to himself and in fact was very vulnerable. We didn't want to betray the nature of the game by changing the character's feelings and motivations, so we felt it was better to change to a female protagonist and retain all those important qualities. I don't want people to think that I have been "politically correct" because we changed Harry into Rose. There is no political correctness in Silent Hill

Kelvin

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 15, 2020, 12:39:25 PM

Yes, Silent Hill is the "best" video game film that's been made for people older than 10, it's also one of the few that feels like it actually captures the spirit / atmosphere of the games, rather than just taking the most famous iconography and slapping it onto an action film.

The dark world, the siren, and that fucking Janitor, brrr.

bgmnts

Quote from: C_Larence on March 15, 2020, 03:16:56 PM
The Silent Hill director's justification for swapping the father from the games to a mother in the movies presented without comment..

Big laughs.

Sin Agog

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Shaky on March 15, 2020, 12:08:22 PM
Even though I was huge fan of the games I somehow missed the film until I forced myself to watch it last year, some 26 years after it came out. I - genuinely - don't think it's that bad and there are a fair few bits which actually work quite well. I certainly wasn't bored, despite being a jaded old prick. Hoskins and Leguizamo are an OK double act despite both disowning the film later on.

I think it's unfairly maligned and a lot better than a lot of 'successful' tie-ins which are just pedestrian action movies tied to a videogame because they're not good enough to stand on their own.

Mister Six

Quote from: Sin Agog on March 15, 2020, 04:24:13 PM
That's a board game.

It did seem like a very liberal adaptation though.

Phil_A

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 15, 2020, 04:30:39 PM
I think it's unfairly maligned and a lot better than a lot of 'successful' tie-ins which are just pedestrian action movies tied to a videogame because they're not good enough to stand on their own.

It's true there are worse films than Super Mario Bros, but that doesn't make it "good" necessarily. It's entertaining on the level of pure schlock, but ultimately it's an absolute a dog's dinner of a project, the end result of classic Hollywood "too many cooks" decision-making that turns what was intended as a fun family action movie into "We're going to remake Blade Runner with Goombas!"

It has some really nice production design work and physical effects, I'll give you that. It's just every other choice made during the production that's the problem.

I thing the problem with rating video game adaptations is the bar has been set so crushingly low. I mean come on, the Resident Evil movies were z-grade straight-to-DVD nonsense through and through, except somehow they kept getting released to cinemas. They're not even particularly memorable, I must've seen nearly all of them for my sins, but I couldn't tell you the plot of a single one.

Silent Hill is passable as a film, but for me the attempts at fan-service constantly grate(no pun intended) on the nerves, as iconic elements of the games are ripped out of context and stripped of their unnerving ambiguity in service of much more conventional Western horror tropes. I think I would've preferred a much looser adaptation that didn't just rely on introducing Things Fans Like every five minutes. "Hey, you guys remember Pyramid Head, right? Zombie nurses?"

I have a theory that the unsettling atmosphere of the original games came partly as a result of Japanese developers whose knowledge of American culture was received second-hand through movies and other media, which may be what gives the environments in those games such a weird, dream-like sense of disconnect. As though you're exploring an alien landscape that also happens to be full of familiar objects which feel bizarre and out of place but it's hard to pin down why. It think that's partly why the American & European developed Silent Hills were never as good, and why I found the film such a disappointment.

Sin Agog

It was sort of inspired turning Toad into a festering fungus that drapes itself over every inch of the set dressing.