Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:22:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Lord of the Rings vs Star Wars

Started by Chollis, March 15, 2020, 05:00:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chollis

Generation-defining TRILOGIES

WHICH ONE IS BETTER?

Is it a generational thing? An age thing? Both pretty good right, but I know which one I prefer. and so do you.

Chollis

just so we're clear, as a 90s kid, Lord of the Rings dicks all over Star Wars. Probably because it was a really good book before the fillums. Cheers

bgmnts

Lord of the Rings pretty much defines its genre whereas as Star Wars does not. Star Wars took a genre that was doing certain interesting things and turned it into a western/adventure in space.

Star Wars is Star Wars though.

greenman

Quote from: bgmnts on March 15, 2020, 07:35:50 AM
Lord of the Rings pretty much defines its genre whereas as Star Wars does not. Star Wars took a genre that was doing certain interesting things and turned it into a western/adventure in space.

Star Wars is Star Wars though.

To be fair I think you could argue Starwars did also have an influence on stuff like Alien and Blade Runner in terms of the used future look, maybe you could argue all of them were taking from Solaris but SW certainly did a lot to popularise it.

bgmnts

Quote from: greenman on March 15, 2020, 08:41:45 AM
To be fair I think you could argue Starwars did also have an influence on stuff like Alien and Blade Runner in terms of the used future look, maybe you could argue all of them were taking from Solaris but SW certainly did a lot to popularise it.

Oh god yes Star Wars definitely influenced many pieces of media.

idunnosomename

Death star superlaser blows up Middle Earth. The endz0r

Johnny Textface

Which one do you like the best? Only you can answer this question.

Star Wars OT certainly had the most interesting story, characters and music.

olliebean

Arguably LotR had more literary merit, but at least Star Wars wasn't boring as shit.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I like the Lord of the Rings films, but they aren't half a slog, especially as I only have the directors cut mega editions on DVD.

I saw Star Wars much earlier in life. That could let it win by default, but LotR happened to be released during my university years, so it's also very nostalgic for me.

Overall, if I have to choose, I'd say the first two Alien films.

Puce Moment

Never seen Lord of the Rings but I imagine it is slightly more shit than Star Wars, but only by a malteser.

Small Man Big Horse

I really enjoyed LotR at the time but haven't really thought about them since, bar when the shite Hobbit movies came out. Whereas Star Wars is a defining part of my childhood, and given the onslaught of prequels and sequels, tv shows, games, comics and books, and those fucking amazing Ewok movies, it's been impossible to escape from, so on a personal level it's easily Star Wars for me. That said I revisited A New Hope a few years back and was bored by a fair amount of it, so I imagine if I rewatched the rest of the original trilogy my opinion of it would decline quickly.

evilcommiedictator

The third Robocop movie was less disappointing than The Return of the King

C_Larence

Cant stand Lord of the Rings, but I hate most fantasy. Too self serious. People will say there are funny moments, but those people are liars. The funny moment will be the elf one calling the dwarf one "a cantankerous quizling" or something. Can't be doing with the names, especially in game of thrones where you have people called Rob knocking around with Maramir or whatever.

Star Wars is fine, but has had one good movie out of what, 40?

bgmnts

Quote from: C_Larence on March 15, 2020, 02:09:12 PM
Cant stand Lord of the Rings, but I hate most fantasy. Too self serious. People will say there are funny moments, but those people are liars

Too much marvel.

greenman

Pippin passing the port the wrong way was far more amusing.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

bgmnts

Quote from: C_Larence on March 15, 2020, 02:14:39 PM
Me or the people who say LotR is funny?

I honestly don't think the latter exists.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Chollis on March 15, 2020, 05:07:15 AM
it was a really good book before the fillums. Cheers

A book you could skip 70% of because it was just the bits about walking and some dumb songs

popcorn

Quote from: olliebean on March 15, 2020, 11:12:03 AM
Arguably LotR had more literary merit, but at least Star Wars wasn't boring as shit.

Thought I was going to die during Return of the King. Even the original Star Wars trilogy is a mixed bag in my book but at least it's got some fucking blood in its veins.

El Unicornio, mang

Star Wars. I could watch them every week. Lord of the Rings was an experience the first time round but I tried watching them again and struggled to stay awake. Seemed to be 90% people walking up and down hills then meeting someone who talks really slowly.

Chollis

Fellowship is great. I made this thread about 1/3 the way through Two Towers which has a strong start (Opening shot of the mountains and Gandalf falling with the Balrog - come on). Does gradually get more ridiculous though and the Frodo/Sam scenes are a slog. Can't wait to see how shit Return is now. Might watch Star Wars after and revise my initial opinion.

DrGreggles

Watched the LOTR trilogy (mainly because I'd read the books as a kid) and thought it was decent enough.
Although I've never seen the end, as I was bursting for a piss and lasted until something that was CLEARLY the end happened before exiting hastily for a wee wee. Didn't bother going back in, as it was CLEARLY the end, yet it was about 25 minutes before everyone else poured out. Obviously I wasn't sufficiently engaged to ever want to watch the ending since.

Never watched a Star War and doubt I ever will.

ZoyzaSorris

I like the eight hours of hobbits hugging and kissing each others fannies in slow motion at the end of Return of the King, better than EMpire STrikes Back

idunnosomename

i started watching the ending of return of the king like 16 years ago and it never stopped help

I don't even know who the king is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dissolute ocelot

Aside from the start of Empire, the battle scenes in LotR are better. But only a cunt judges movies by battle scenes.

Blumf

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 17, 2020, 10:42:33 PM
I don't even know who the king is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOTR and Bubba Ho-Tep cross over now!!