Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:42:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Lord of the Rings vs Star Wars

Started by Chollis, March 15, 2020, 05:00:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gulftastic

Star Wars. I was 7 when the first was released, 13 when ROTJ dropped. Just the right age. They are such a massive part of my childhood.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Chollis on March 15, 2020, 05:00:04 AM
Generation-defining TRILOGIES
Not a trilogy, obviously, but I wonder if Harry Potter is more of a generation defining fantasy series for millennial types than Lord of the Rings.

bgmnts

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 19, 2020, 03:32:37 PM
Not a trilogy, obviously, but I wonder if Harry Potter is more of a generation defining fantasy series for millennial types than Lord of the Rings.

Without a fucking doubt.

Strange how all three series went on to make prequels that no one likes.

Bazooka

Yeah but the Hobbit gave the world this:

beanheadmcginty

Must be some comfort for Rodney and Cassandra to see what their kid would've grown up to look like.

dissolute ocelot

Toy Story. Rotten Tomatoes will bear me out.

KennyMonster

Quote from: olliebean on March 15, 2020, 11:12:03 AM
Arguably LotR had more literary merit, but at least Star Wars wasn't boring as shit.

Yes, this,

As bad as the dirge prequels that Lucas put out are they are not anywhere near as ass numbingly boring as the second LOTR film.

I've vowed not to watch the third LOTR one or any Hobbit ones until Percy Jackson himself comes round to mine and re-pays me the wek of my life I lost watching his film (The Two Towers? the one where Yosser Hughes was a king who lost his marbles and Gandalf used Persil Ultra on his cloak).

popcorn

My personal fee for watching The Hobbit is £120.

olliebean

I quite liked The Hobbit, but I think that's only because my housemate had forced me to watch the extended cuts of all three LotRs in the three days before we saw it, and I found it relatively bearable by comparison. By the time I saw the second Hobbit one, I guess that had worn off. I never bothered to see the third.

Glebe

There is videos on the youtube of LOTR with lighsabers added.

El Unicornio, mang

I've been rewatching these (Extended editions) the past few days. Fellowship I found a bit of a slog to get through, but Two Towers is pretty terrific. The battle of Helm's Deep, fantastic, and although the CGI doesn't look quite as amazing now, Gollum is a perfectly realised character (thanks mostly to Serkis, I remember really liking his transformation scene at the beginning of Return of the King too). I haven't seen the latter 2 since they first came out, my enjoyment of Return was dampened because I saw it in the US where adults can bring their kids to any rated film, some woman decided to bring her baby and it cried for half of it. And the ending seemed to just go on forever. Lord knows what the extended ending will be like.

Glebe

Fellowship is actually my favourite, it feels the most 'Tolkieny'.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Glebe on March 29, 2020, 01:59:13 PM
Fellowship is actually my favourite, it feels the most 'Tolkieny'.

It does seem the most like the source material, the stuff at the Shire and whatnot. Something about the pace of it kept making me sleepy though, took me four nights to get through it.

Replies From View

Never been a fan of either of these, but probably Star Wars wins because Lord of the Rings is merely a list of monsters and other threats that goes on and on until it arbitrarily ends after however many hours.

I just rewatched the Star Wars trilogy on Disney Plus and it's pretty great. I could pick holes in it, but never felt the need to, even with all the tweaks Lucas has made to revamped versions. Just remember that the later instalments and prequels don't exist and enjoy some rollicking escapist entertainment. The only truly galling change is that Anakin force ghost.

I never found the Lord of the Rings films to be anything other than a chore to get through.

kngen

My friend forced me to watch the extended cut of Return of the King. I fell asleep twice (for lengthy periods of time) and still felt like I'd watched about 20 hours of it. Reminded me why I stopped reading the book when I was 12. Fuck me, page after page after page of new armies turning up from slightly different points on the compass ...

popcorn

Quote from: Replies From View on March 29, 2020, 07:23:08 PM
Lord of the Rings is merely a list of monsters and other threats that goes on and on until it arbitrarily ends after however many hours.

Sounds like my last marriage!!!!