Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:23:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Instant Coffee

Started by Emma Raducanu, March 15, 2020, 08:32:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emma Raducanu

What is your favourite brand?

I grew up on Nescafe. Learned to make it aged 5. Mum could just click her fingers and I'd make her and Dad a nice cup of instant coffee. Whenever I heard Coronation Street starting, that was it. Kettle on, one teaspoon of instant coffee granules, hot water and the unmeasured amount of milk to achieve the correct colour profile. If it wasn't right, mother wasn't happy.

Fast forward 30 years, and here I am watching Milkshake on Ch5 with a familiar cup of Nescafe gold blend. I like it. We got a jar of Lidl instant coffee a few months back for free. It had been branded to look identical to Nescafe and I was extremely skeptical of it. Thought we'd end up giving it away as a birthday present or something. But no! It was pretty good, undiscernible from Nescafe. Sort of. Made me wonder what else is out there.

What instant coffee do you drink? What is best?

PlanktonSideburns

douguie eggweeberts is the tops, - aldi knockoff is just as good

sometimes i put it on cornflakes

BlodwynPig

Eggweberts was the go to as a student

Undrinkable now, as is all instant filth

Emma Raducanu

Noticed nescafe barista style recently. Might give this a go despite specifically rallying against the type of coffee it is attempting to imitate.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: solidified gruel merchant on March 15, 2020, 08:47:54 AM

liked this, but after a while it gave me squeaky teeth, had to go back to the egberto

for balance, i mostly drink italian stove aluminium boiler thingy shit, not instant

but sometimes a bit of instant is what you want

PlanktonSideburns

i wonder if you can emulate that stuff by powderizing your egbertinio with a pestle and mortar?

will report back in an hour

Pijlstaart

Douwe Egberts is delightful, but it goes down too smooth, it manifests itself within me, immense crotch heat. Too much javan coffee in the blend, it's grown on volcanic ash, very fertile, but infused with this deep fiery rage. It used to be that tribespeople would throw in sacrifices to appease the volcano spirits, but no more, and they enter a human host through the coffee. My crotch heat is stoked by the bellows of the gods, and I fear they will use me to malign ends.

Grew up on Nescafe, but boycott it now. Did Folgers when I was in the US as most stores don't have a decent range of instant and it was truly unpleasant, completely unlike any other coffee and it was drunk as a performance, to appear as someone set in their ways. Work gives out free coffee called Clipper and that is my new favourite.

Brian Freeze

Lyons number 3 coffee bags. As easy as instant,  but not for making a lovely lovely milky coffee.
I think we used to get Percol before going to the bags.

seepage

Carte Noire (Lavazza). The rebranded 'L'Or' by JDE tastes the same to me but according to the web it's inferior to the original Carte Noire.

idunnosomename

I fucking hate it and more evidence britain is fucked in its heed

timebug

Discovered coffee when an aged aunt gave me a drink of some cheap coffee substitute called 'Camp' which came in a bottle,as a syrupy liquid. I was about ten at the time. Graduated to Nescafe,and have drunk no other beverage since. Take it black and strong and that ,together with a furtive fag, is a good 'break'.

shiftwork2

It's a boomer thing now isn't it?  Aeropress or gtfo

badaids

Mellow Birds is the best, even though it tastes nothing like coffee. All other instant coffee is radioactive cum + shit.

Butchers Blind

Sometimes instant is just easier.  A cafetiere or stove cafetiere are just agg.

chveik

I'd rather drink my own piss

alan nagsworth

If I wanted to inflict the "instant coffee experience" on my already ravaged senses I'd sooner find a stray dog and suck the frothy feculant water out of its arse than pay for the immense displeasure

DrGreggles

oy vey

Instant is the fuck buddy of coffee.

Dex Sawash

At least 2 spoons of instant in a quart/liter jar, add a couple spoonfuls of very hot water to bloom the coffee. Add 3-4 ice cubes and maybe a spoon or two of sugar and swirl it around so it cools a little. Add a couple ounces of milk/fakemilk/cream, bit of fat helps. Lid it and shake like a motherfucker until jar is filled with delicious foam. Pour over a glass filled with ice. Might need another ounce of milk or water to liberate all the goo out the jar.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

This is nice and flavoursome. They only sell it in the big Sainsburys here though, which is nearly an hour round trip for me, so I mostly get the CoOp own brand stuff.

I only started drinking coffee fairly recently - one large cup in the morning, for the caffeine hit - so I'm not picky.

Instant coffee?  Remember it well.  Dan Hartman in '79, wasn't it?  Good song.

Puce Moment

Yes, Cafe Direct coffee for sure, however at work they have evil Nescafe Azera. I see some above, but I would say that the Intenso is far, far nicer than the Americano.

Sherringford Hovis

Stop giving Nestlé money. I don't much care about the dead babies, ground-water thievery or the exploited choc/coffee farmers, I just hate The Milky Bar Kid.

touchingcloth

Quote from: solidified gruel merchant on March 15, 2020, 08:47:54 AM

There's a Nescafé which isn't the Azera stuff, but is more "proper" than, say, Gold Blend. While Azera is finely milled, this stuff has granules the size of your usual instant grains, so I half suspect that Azera is the same stuff with a mark up for the additional pulverising applied.

Dex Sawash

Just made a shakey coffee with Lidl (america) instant

Sebastian Cobb

Used to use Dowe Eggberts Pure Indulgence.

Haven't had instant for ages though, got used to good Aeropress coffee and now instant tastes like dirt.

Work probably think I'm insufferable coffee ponce because I use an aeropress rather than their expensive bean to cup machine, but I think it's a piece of shit, it makes thin weak coffee that's overly hot. Also it's a temperamental piece of shit so it's rare you get a cup out of it without it demanding you refill its reservoir or empty the grounds, making it not really any less faff than me aeropress.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Dex Sawash on March 15, 2020, 04:00:28 PM
Just made a shakey coffee with Lidl (america) instant

Looks like it fell out of your Mum's arse.

Kenco Costa Rican is quite nice.

weekender

I quite like the paintings of Hitler.

It's like greens though isn't it? People are all like, 'It's got to be kale' but sprouts are the only edible greens. With your coffee, the 'better it is' the more you've got to try not to screw your face up when drinking it in the company of someone who'd judge you for the wrong reaction. Them sachets of Nescafe in the B&Bs are a delight. Someone has bought me four nights in Eastbourne for my birthday and I'm really looking forward to the coffee. The streets will be empty in Eastbourne by April so it's not like there'll be anyone to make me impatient on the caffeine.

The gold label one that Co-op do is a very presentable coffee. I've seen two ex-mayor's in the queue with that in our town. The new one will learn by the end of his tenure.

It's like headphones though - get used to what's bearable, don't buy a two hundred quid set and have to be buying two hundred quid headphones every three years. It's like sport - if you live in Crewe, get used to Alexander, don't get any big ideas.

It's like everything else, coffee is.