Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:20:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Daniel Kitson 2020

Started by buntyman, March 15, 2020, 12:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
That was absolutely wonderful. Five-star stuff. One of the very best things he's done as far as I'm concerned.

Pranet

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 28, 2020, 10:23:48 PM
I sometimes wish he'd allow the mainstream in, I imagine the finished show would be so great on BBC4 on NYE.

Ha! I was thinking the same thing.

one_sharper

If anyone hasn't seen it yet there's a show from Union Chapel on Tuesday (1st December, 8pm). Tickets on sale at noon today. https://www.unionchapel.org.uk/venue/whats-on/daniel-kitson-dot-dot-dot

privatefriend

Quote from: one_sharper on November 28, 2020, 10:35:21 AM
If anyone hasn't seen it yet there's a show from Union Chapel on Tuesday (1st December, 8pm). Tickets on sale at noon today. https://www.unionchapel.org.uk/venue/whats-on/daniel-kitson-dot-dot-dot

Thanks just bought a ticket.

buntyman

I saw the complete show at the weekend having already seen the WIP show at the beginning of the run. It's really nicely put together but felt more natural and spontaneous the first time and (probably because I was already familiar with the content) a bit more like a recital the in the more polished version. Still, very well delivered - he's great at incorporating these imaginative narrative devices into the flow.

SPOILERy question: At the end he
Spoiler alert
leaves a polaroid photo to slowly develop in front of the camera with him holding up a post-it note. It never came into sharp enough focus to be able to read it - what did it say on other shows?
[close]

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: buntyman on November 29, 2020, 09:25:34 PM
I saw the complete show at the weekend having already seen the WIP show at the beginning of the run. It's really nicely put together but felt more natural and spontaneous the first time and (probably because I was already familiar with the content) a bit more like a recital the in the more polished version. Still, very well delivered - he's great at incorporating these imaginative narrative devices into the flow.

SPOILERy question: At the end he
Spoiler alert
leaves a polaroid photo to slowly develop in front of the camera with him holding up a post-it note. It never came into sharp enough focus to be able to read it - what did it say on other shows?
[close]

Did you get a free ticket? I think DK stated at all 3 previews that he would be giving the WIP viewers a ticket to see the finished show. My email didn't seem to work so I had to be manually emailed the password for the WIP's I booked so I'm worried if I missed the freebie for the finished work?

buntyman

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on November 29, 2020, 10:16:09 PM
Did you get a free ticket? I think DK stated at all 3 previews that he would be giving the WIP viewers a ticket to see the finished show.

I got sent a free ticket to the 3rd WIP having paid for the 1st but I paid for the finished show ticket too

SteveDave

I've got a ticket for tomorrow's Union Chapel show. I'm very excited.

SteveDave

That was the first Daniel Kitson thing I've seen "live" and it was tremendous.

Just been sent a link to watch the finished version of dot.dot.dot. recorded at the union chapel on the last night of the tour. Not 100% sure if multiple people can use the password, but if there's no restrictions and you can, happy to pm link to people if requested.

Edit - does work fine.

Glitch King

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on December 07, 2020, 06:51:55 PM
Just been sent a link to watch the finished version of dot.dot.dot. recorded at the union chapel on the last night of the tour. Not 100% sure if multiple people can use the password, but if there's no restrictions and you can, happy to pm link to people if requested.

Edit - does work fine.

Would love that if it still works

Quote from: Glitch King on December 08, 2020, 09:36:08 PM
Would love that if it still works

PM sent. Link expires on the 13th Dec if anyone else wants it.

Blinder Data

I saw the finished version of dot.dot.dot. on Sunday. As a record of one's experience of lockdown and the pandemic, I thought it was good. As a show, I thought it was OK. I didn't laugh much - maybe I needed to be in the room with the audience? There didn't seem to be many funny bits.

I would've liked more from the format instead of it feeling like a Zoom call. Moving about the stage and switching between cameras would've helped. I never felt like there was much more to the show than the post-it notes, which made it feel narratively bitty.

I also thought some of the post-it note messages were downright trite. The photos looked good but I could barely see them.

Does he pick up all the post-it notes and reorganise them before every show? If so, what a ballache.

jimboslice

The link I was sent for the Huddersfield gig still works if anyone wants that.

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on December 07, 2020, 06:51:55 PM

Edit - does work fine.

Looks like this is available through official channels now. Along with an audio recording of A Show For Christmas.

olliebean

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on December 24, 2020, 01:08:13 AM
Looks like this is available through official channels now. Along with an audio recording of A Show For Christmas.

Where's the latter? The "Audio" link on his website goes to his Bandcamp page, which doesn't have it AFAICS.

McFlymo

Quote from: Blinder Data on December 18, 2020, 01:38:16 PM
I saw the finished version of dot.dot.dot. on Sunday. As a record of one's experience of lockdown and the pandemic, I thought it was good. As a show, I thought it was OK. I didn't laugh much - maybe I needed to be in the room with the audience? There didn't seem to be many funny bits.

I would've liked more from the format instead of it feeling like a Zoom call. Moving about the stage and switching between cameras would've helped. I never felt like there was much more to the show than the post-it notes, which made it feel narratively bitty.

I also thought some of the post-it note messages were downright trite. The photos looked good but I could barely see them.

Does he pick up all the post-it notes and reorganise them before every show? If so, what a ballache.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to come back to this, another time, I think. Got about 45 minutes in and I just can't find any joy in either the format, the content or the delivery. He holds up a post-it saying "TESTIMONIES" and talks about how he doesn't like listening to peoples' testimonies about their experiences, because it's not past tense yet. I feel the same about this show, really. Maybe I'll give it another bash in a day or two.

All the same, it's very kind of him to make it a free viewing, along with the other one (which I haven't checked out yet).

dbs

Quote from: McFlymo on December 26, 2020, 02:05:23 AM
He holds up a post-it saying "TESTIMONIES" and talks about how he doesn't like listening to peoples' testimonies about their experiences, because it's not past tense yet. I feel the same about this show, really. Maybe I'll give it another bash in a day or two.

Not to talk about bits you've not seen too much, but I think this is supposed to elicit those feelings a little bit, and those concepts get addressed a little bit later on. It's fair enough to not be into it because of that, but that post-it is very aware I think.

stephenjwz

I liked dot dot dot. I don't know that I liked it on the same terms I liked his other shows but it felt like a good historical document of how the last 9 months have felt to me, put/remembered better than I could have.

McFlymo

Quote from: dbs on December 26, 2020, 12:04:41 PM
Not to talk about bits you've not seen too much, but I think this is supposed to elicit those feelings a little bit, and those concepts get addressed a little bit later on. It's fair enough to not be into it because of that, but that post-it is very aware I think.

I'll probably enjoy it eventually. I'm just fucking exhausted from Covid shit and seeing one of my favourite comedians do a long show all about of that is weird and will require some stamina and resilience I don't currently possess.

dbs

Quote from: McFlymo on December 28, 2020, 02:55:00 AM
I'll probably enjoy it eventually. I'm just fucking exhausted from Covid shit and seeing one of my favourite comedians do a long show all about of that is weird and will require some stamina and resilience I don't currently possess.

That is very, very fair.

Tomsidg

He's back on resonance FM at 8pm tonight for a one off show. Can some kind soul please record and provide a podcast feed as in my 25 years of using the internet, I think that's safely the best thing I've seen anyone do for the good of others. Thanks!

Old Thrashbarg

SteveDave

Finally! A radio show for me!

mrfridge