Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:58:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Looking after each other

Started by flotemysost, March 15, 2020, 02:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flotemysost

Thought it might be worth starting a thread to share any tips on taking care of our mental health amid all the CoronaCraziness™. Talk of imminent death/separation from loved ones/not getting paid/not being able to wipe your arse aren't exactly fantastic for anyone's wellbeing at the best of times, so please share any practical advice on looking after yourself and others, or words of wisdom (or silliness).

I've seen this page from Mind being shared quite widely, but no harm posting it again I guess, some solid advice in there: https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/coronavirus-and-your-wellbeing/

One of my friends has pretty bad anxiety, and has been sending me a barrage of messages about how we're all going to die, she's wasted her life, she's not a good person, she's been irresponsible for leaving the house and now her family are all going to die and it'll be her fault, etc. I'm trying my best to reassure her and calm her down, and I think she'll be OK, but from an utterly selfish point of view it can be a bit exhausting as well.

For me, although I'm very very very grateful that I've got a job where I can work from home, and a comfortable living situation, I'm still slightly dreading potentially being stuck indoors for a prolonged period, as I definitely feel more depressed and drained when I can't get out and walk around a bit and see different people. But as I said, I could have things far worse and I'll gladly do whatever's needed to help squash the spread.

Any advice, experiences or tips on staying sane/alternative arse wiping solutions welcome (and if anyone can think of a snappier title for this thread, have at it).

bgmnts

If anything Corona has lessened the intensity of my mental health issues and anxiety, so for that i'm grateful.

As for advice, watch lots of stuff that makes you laugh.

Buelligan

I've been isolated completely for two weeks now.  My only outside contact being this forum, online news and email.  I think, apart from basic healthcare to deal with what ails you, trying to keep a routine even though you can't go outside or work is useful.  Keep clean, keep tidy, eat as well as you can but try to plan the food (so you make it last).  If you're well, try to take some time to do some stuff you never have time to do, tidy something, resolve something, mend something.  Try not to watch or read depressing stuff or focus on it.  Block circular thoughts, recognise them for what they are.  Comfort yourself, take care of yourself, do it like you're caring for someone you really care about.  Remember, nothing is permanent.

bgmnts

Quote from: Buelligan on March 15, 2020, 02:27:05 PM
I've been isolated completely for two weeks now.  My only outside contact being this forum

I wonder how a child would develop if we did a Frederick II style experiment where it is raised with no human interaction beyond CaB.

Buelligan

bgmnts

Just because someone looks pregnant doesn't mean they are.

BlodwynPig

*John Stapleton/Robert Kilroy-Silk enter thread reinvigorated*

Buelligan

Quote from: bgmnts on March 15, 2020, 02:40:05 PM

Very true.  Nevertheless, it's a good start.

Puce Moment

I've been on strike and barely left my house other than in the first couple of days when I joined the picket line. Now, I am self-isolating by taking drugs and watching films/TV and eating my wife's food as she is on a baking binge at the moment.

I imagine I will need mental health support when this goes away and I have to return to work.

Captain Crunch

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 15, 2020, 02:41:44 PM
*John Stapleton/Robert Kilroy-Silk enter thread reinvigorated*

No it's Jerry's final thought. 

Jer-ry Jer-ry Jer-ry why isn't that on youtube, it would cheer us all up a bit!

gib

Quote from: bgmnts on March 15, 2020, 02:40:05 PM

big laugh from me

pigamus

I've got the last 14 series of the News Quiz if anyone wants those.