Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:31:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bands/artists crying out for documentaries.

Started by Icehaven, March 15, 2020, 04:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

I've been on a bit of a Netflix music documentary binge lately so I've been thinking of acts that don't have one but should, for me firstly Portishead. Who else?

Sin Agog

I actually began throwing out feelers for a Where On Earth is Takashi Mizutani (ultra-mysterious, almost never-seen despite his evident sexiness leader of Les Rallizes Denudes) documentary ten or eleven years ago, but then my innate fecklessness kicked in a few days into the process.

DrGreggles

An in-depth one of The Monkees post-'Head' would be good.

bigfatheart

By dint of having an interesting story and/or engaging characters, I'd say Killing Joke, Cardiacs, the Wildhearts and Dexys Midnight Runners could all make for good documentaries.

chveik

the science eel

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 15, 2020, 04:18:44 PM
An in-depth one of The Monkees post-'Head' would be good.

Yep.

There isn't really a definitive Velvets' doc - and now it's probably too late. This thing isn't bad, from what I remember:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Velvet-Underground-Vanishing-Point-Barber/dp/B01I05KVB4

Captain Crunch

I'll never forget the time I saw that documentary about the keyboard player from The Charlatans.  Not that one. 

Pauline Walnuts

Dewt

The Culture Bunker

Has there been one about Echo and the Bunnymen? Only thing that comes to mind is the "New Merseybeat" episode of Rock Family Trees. Would be strange if not, as they had decent success in America and a fairly strong legacy in terms of influence and what not.

Icehaven

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 15, 2020, 06:37:46 PM
Has there been one about Echo and the Bunnymen? Only thing that comes to mind is the "New Merseybeat" episode of Rock Family Trees. Would be strange if not, as they had decent success in America and a fairly strong legacy in terms of influence and what not.

Not to my knowledge no, and good point.

SteveDave

Quote from: the science eel on March 15, 2020, 05:30:16 PM
Yep.

There isn't really a definitive Velvets' doc - and now it's probably too late. This thing isn't bad, from what I remember:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Velvet-Underground-Vanishing-Point-Barber/dp/B01I05KVB4

I liked it apart from that soul patch playing guitar.

Good to see my close personal friend Doug Yule get some screen time.

George White

The Irish country scene - a proper, honest depiction like there has been with the showbands or Northern SOul.
Especially the present, even if it would be dangerous.

Ferris

The Beatles.

What were all that about!

But seriously - the Pixies & Björk

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: icehaven on March 15, 2020, 08:32:10 PM
Not to my knowledge no, and good point.
I'm sure there's a good story there, what with the background of the incestuous Liverpool scene, Cope and McCulloch's friendship and it's breakdown. Then you have the success, the trappings of fame and poor Pete's death. Then you end it with them having a hit single comeback, and pretend everything after didn't happen. Except Les Pattinson playing with the Wild Swans - that was ace.

the science eel

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 15, 2020, 09:38:24 PM
The Beatles.

Pixies had that LOUDquietLOUD thing a few years back. Which was interesting if only to see Kim Deal being the loveliest person alive, and the rest of the band being as dull as fuck.

Brundle-Fly

Inspector Norse

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 15, 2020, 09:38:24 PM
The Beatles.

Björk had one about 15 years ago:

https://youtu.be/qbJCqnITC7s

Talking heads include Thom Yorke, Missy Elliott, Lars von Trier and, for some more tenuous reason, Elton John, Sean Penn and RZA.

sardines

Quote from: Sin Agog on March 15, 2020, 04:18:08 PM
I actually began throwing out feelers for a Where On Earth is Takashi Mizutani (ultra-mysterious, almost never-seen despite his evident sexiness leader of Les Rallizes Denudes) documentary ten or eleven years ago, but then my innate fecklessness kicked in a few days into the process.

Les Rallizes Denudes was actually going to be my response when I saw the title. So consider me in for 50p.

Neomod

An overview of Sunshine Pop like that Hotel California doc on BBC four would be nice. Watched this one on the Cowsills[nb]The inspiration for the Partridge Family[/nb] (Bubblegum-Psychedelia-Family-Pop) which got very dark indeed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-78c-FCNf0

ajsmith2

Quote from: Neomod on March 16, 2020, 09:47:40 AM
An overview of Sunshine Pop like that Hotel California doc on BBC four would be nice. Watched this one on the Cowsills[nb]The inspiration for the Partridge Family[/nb] (Bubblegum-Psychedelia-Family-Pop) which got very dark indeed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-78c-FCNf0

Yeah good call. Also I'm replying to this mainly to bookmark the Cowsills doc for future viewing.

studpuppet

studpuppet

Also, proper one on The Fall as an entity rather than just focussing on MES.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: studpuppet on March 16, 2020, 01:05:09 PM
Van Der Graaf Generator

This needs to happen.

I'm supposed to be seeing them in a couple of months, but it isn't likely to happen at this stage. I hope when they do reschedule, Peter will have spent his isolation period writing an epic about the coronavirus in the manner of 'After The Flood', which he belts out so intensely it provokes nosebleeds.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Neomod on March 16, 2020, 09:47:40 AM

Thanks for the tipoff. Something to watch on this curfew.