Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:56:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Good songs with shit bits

Started by kalowski, March 15, 2020, 05:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Exhibit A: Here Comes the Night by Them. Exquisite chorus, that soulful Van Morrison sound, with those two chords and clear guitar utterly spoilt by the two step oompah of the verses.

Equally, the thread could be Shit Songs with Good Bits.

jobotic

Tinseltown in the Rain by The Blue Nile has been a favourite song of mine for thirty years but it goes into the middle 8 twice. In the end I ripped it as a WAV, chopped the end off, put in a new fade out and made an mp3 of that, splicing it into the album on my various machines. Now the real version is dead to me, kissed proper dark on the forehead.

I think one of the sequencer patterns is mis-triggered near the end as well about a bar ahead of where it had appeared relative to the rest of the track earlier in the song.

Reading back over this joyless tripe I can see again why my portastudio died covered in dust. But I'm right, that's the main thing isn't it.

olliebean

Bookmarked to see how long it takes someone to post something where the "shit bit" is my favourite part of the song.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

That bit in Don't Fear The Reaper where it goes all melodramatic and shite. Just stick to the riff lads.

Icehaven

I've mentioned this recently in a similar thread but 'Ship in a Bottle' by Bright Eyes rolls along beautifully until the middle eight which inexplicably has a hideous sample of a baby screaming over it, which pretty much wrecks the rest of the song.

Sebastian Cobb

Don't like the 'so what else is new' backing vocal in Stiff Little Fingers' Nobody's Hero.

pigamus

Said this before but the verses to Air That I Breathe are so famously exquisite, but the chorus... well maybe it's more meh than shit but even so

famethrowa

God Only Knows: the silly orchestral pom pom pom bit after the 2nd chorus, just before one of the loveliest sections in all music, the ba ba ba vocals. Totally out of character with the rest of the song, sends it into disney land.

famethrowa

Something In The Air: the ridiculous honky tonk piano that goes on forever, plonked in the middle of a soaring, epoch-defining song.

Dusty Substance

Pretty sure I mentioned this recently on these very boards, but the wacky accordion bit towards the end of Hocus Pocus by Focus ruins an other wise fantastic song.

Quote from: famethrowa on March 15, 2020, 10:13:41 PM
God Only Knows: the silly orchestral pom pom pom bit after the 2nd chorus, just before one of the loveliest sections in all music, the ba ba ba vocals. Totally out of character with the rest of the song, sends it into disney land.

So you're fine with the bit that is the blueprint for the Jim'll Fix It theme?

Camp Tramp

Debbie Harry rapping in Rapture.

studpuppet

Linda's reggae interlude in Live And Let Die.

Harry Badger

Delerium by Francine McGee. An awesome electric piano-led disco track which suddenly goes into a utter pointless fret-wank before starting up again. Played this a lot when DJing and despite it being a reliable floor-filler, I always cringed at that bit. It's not even edited in smoothly.

famethrowa

Quote from: avatarlessnessophilia on March 15, 2020, 10:53:52 PM
So you're fine with the bit that is the blueprint for the Jim'll Fix It theme?

Much like I'm still fine with Under Pressure despite Vanilla Ice, yes, yes I am.

Non Stop Dancer

ajsmith2

Quote from: kalowski on March 15, 2020, 05:30:38 PM
Exhibit A: Here Comes the Night by Them. Exquisite chorus, that soulful Van Morrison sound, with those two chords and clear guitar utterly spoilt by the two step oompah of the verses.

Whit? it's the contrast that makes it. The verses are the brusque everyday daytime reflection on the guy losing his girl, as he manages to just about get through another day by trying to adopt a kind of knockabout Norman Wisdom esque loveable loser persona to take the edge off as he struggles to process what's happened. Then the chorus comes in, the inevitable  dark night of the soul of utter desolation that comes to him every 24 hours.  It's like long shot for comedy during the day, close up for tragedy at night. Neither section would be half as effective without the other. I'm a huge fan of this kind of dramatic contrast in songs between the ridiculous to the sublime and I once made a thread which kind of attempted to categorise such moments of this in pop music: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=73467.0

ajsmith2

Quote from: pigamus on March 15, 2020, 09:48:52 PM
Said this before but the verses to Air That I Breathe are so famously exquisite, but the chorus... well maybe it's more meh than shit but even so

Do you think Radiohead utilised the melody better with Creep? Genuine question. I do think it's arguable that they got more emotional mileage out of the potential of that melodic phrase, even though they ripped it off.

Camp Tramp

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on March 16, 2020, 07:48:15 AM
What?! Don't be mental,

I'm not being mental. I find the rapping very jarring.

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: famethrowa on March 15, 2020, 10:13:41 PM

I'm just going to have to disagree point blank I'm afraid. Wouldn't it be nice, on the other hand, is possibly the best song ever up until 1.06, at which point it just gets a bit boring (at least compared to what came before), before returning to the original bit at the end, but it's too late by then. You fucked it, Brian.

grassbath

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Sweet Jane, 'wine and roses' bit. FUCKS THE MOMENTUM TOTALLY.

Bently Sheds

Every single Freddie Mercury bit in Under Pressure, apart from the "Why can't we give love one more chance?" bit. The rest of it sounds like he had no ideas for the song whatsoever and just made shit mouth noises over the backing track for a writing credit.

Chollis

poodlefaker

Living Too Late by The Fall - the "I saw through the trees..." bits.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Bently Sheds on March 16, 2020, 03:17:14 PM
Every single Freddie Mercury bit in Under Pressure, apart from the "Why can't we give love one more chance?" bit. The rest of it sounds like he had no ideas for the song whatsoever and just made shit mouth noises over the backing track for a writing credit.

YES MATE. Ruins that song with his um badda dayoo scatman john shit.

non capisco

Quote from: Bently Sheds on March 16, 2020, 03:17:14 PM

Ha ha, yeah. I like that song but I have often chuckled at that bit where he doesn't quite know what to do during the breakdown after the first chorus and just ends up going "dada buddub dub" in a slightly lost fashion, before rallying with a more decisive "OKAYYYYYYY!". In some ways you can clearly tell that song was conceived during a night on the chisel with Bowie. It's a wonder that it ends so strongly.

TheMonk

Quote from: grassbath on March 16, 2020, 02:53:50 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Sweet Jane, 'wine and roses' bit. FUCKS THE MOMENTUM TOTALLY.
I like that when you google the lyrics you get this mess. What would you think if you had never heard it?:
Mmm num ba de
Dum bum ba be
Doo buh dum ba beh beh
Pressure pushing down on me
Pressing down on you, no man ask for
Under pressure that burns a building down
Splits a family in two
Puts people on streets
Um ba ba be
Um ba ba be
De day da
Ee day da, that's okay
It's the terror of knowing what the world is about
Watching some good friends screaming
"Let me out!"
Pray tomorrow gets me higher
Pressure on people, people on streets
Day day de mm hm
Da da da ba ba
Okay
Chipping around, kick my brains around the floor
These are the days it never rains but it pours
Ee do ba be
Ee da ba ba ba
Um bo bo
Be lap
People on streets
Ee da de da de
People on streets
Ee da de da de da de da
It's the terror of knowing what the world is about
Watching some good friends screaming
'Let me out'
Pray tomorrow gets me higher, high
Pressure on people, people on streets
Turned away from it all like a blind man
Sat on a fence but it don't work
Keep coming up with love but it's so slashed and torn
Why, why, why?
Love, love, love, love, love
Insanity laughs under pressure we're breaking
Can't we give ourselves one more chance?
Why can't we give love that one more chance?
Why can't we give love, give love, give love, give love
Give love, give love, give love, give love, give love?
'Cause love's such an old fashioned word
And love dares you to care for
The people on the edge of the night
And love (people on streets) dares you to change our way of
Caring about ourselves
This is our last dance
This is our last dance
This is ourselves under pressure
Under pressure
Pressure
Source: LyricFind
Songwriters: David Bowie / John Richard Deacon / Brian Harold May / Freddie Mercury / Roger Meddows Taylor
Again

gilbertharding

The second half of the guitar solo in My Sharona by The Knack.