Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:19:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Good songs with shit bits

Started by kalowski, March 15, 2020, 05:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

SteveDave

Quote from: grassbath on March 16, 2020, 02:53:50 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Sweet Jane, 'wine and roses' bit. FUCKS THE MOMENTUM TOTALLY.

WRONG. That and the la-la-la bit drag that fucking song from being a sub-"Love Minus Zero" dirge. It probably helps that the "long" version was the first I heard when I got the "Peel Slowly And See" boxset from the library.

SteveDave

Quote from: studpuppet on March 15, 2020, 11:29:50 PM
Linda's reggae interlude in Live And Let Die.

I feel like I've taken crazy pills.

H-O-W-L

The long, slow, Ki-style bridge in Devin Townsend's otherwise sublime Borderlands. Best song on Empath by far (and that album really is a belter all round so that's saying something) but the Ki-style bridge is honestly shit and unfitting, it's like he didn't know how to make the song longer than 7 minutes so he wanted to fill it.

niat

The chorus of Australia by the Manics. The verse is pretty good but it builds to a chorus that is just wank.

kalowski

Quote from: niat on March 18, 2020, 02:57:13 PM
The chorus of Australia by the Manics. The verse is pretty good but it builds to a chorus that is just wank.
H.S. Art.

Clownbaby

Quote from: Camp Tramp on March 16, 2020, 02:00:23 PM
I'm not being mental. I find the rapping very jarring.

Agree man. Love ya Debs but it's shite

keir

The chorus of Down Is The New Up by Radiohead. It's like a placeholder chorus, it's like shit Stones.

Jockice

Borderline is by far my favourite Madonna song, and certainly the only one I play regularly, on youtube usually, cos she looks fantastic on the video. But the ending annoys me. It just sort of goes 'la la la la' in a wishy-washy way. It's like they couldn't think of a proper finale so thought, this'll do. It doesn't.

Quote from: niat on March 18, 2020, 02:57:13 PM

Never really liked Australia at all, to be honest. Just feels like easy single fodder. It doesn't do anything that Enola/Alone and The Girl Who Wanted To Be God hadn't already done better earlier on in the album.

honeychile

Quote from: avatarlessnessophilia on March 15, 2020, 06:00:36 PMTinseltown in the Rain by The Blue Nile has been a favourite song of mine for thirty years but it goes into the middle 8 twice. In the end I ripped it as a WAV, chopped the end off, put in a new fade out and made an mp3 of that, splicing it into the album on my various machines. Now the real version is dead to me, kissed proper dark on the forehead.

The original 1967 release of Leola Jiles' slightly Bond-themey belter Keept it coming had this horrible, creepy-as-fuck bit of vocal overlay on both of the bridges. It's totally jarring and out of place with the feel of the song, and when Kent got round to releasing their fucking outstanding 2012 compliation of The Apollas' work, Absolutely right!, they went ahead and removed the creepy vocal track from Keep it coming - just because it bloody needed it - leaving the section otherwise intact. I was lucky enough to encounter the re-relased version first, and had it not been for that i may well not have appreciated what a brilliant song it is.

pigamus

Quote from: Dusty Substance on March 15, 2020, 10:22:03 PM
Pretty sure I mentioned this recently on these very boards, but the wacky accordion bit towards the end of Hocus Pocus by Focus ruins an other wise fantastic song.

There's a song on August and Everything After by Counting Crows called Raining in Baltimore - pretty standard sparse, mournful piano ballad, until inexplicably an accordion comes in towards the end and ruins the whole thing. Bizarre.

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: Jockice on March 25, 2020, 10:36:32 AM
Borderline is by far my favourite Madonna song, and certainly the only one I play regularly, on youtube usually, cos she looks fantastic on the video. But the ending annoys me. It just sort of goes 'la la la la' in a wishy-washy way. It's like they couldn't think of a proper finale so thought, this'll do. It doesn't.

Nah, it's perfect.  The la-la melody was on the writer's demo and she went with it to the note.  The verses and chorus all land on the sadder side of melancholy, even as the harmony rises behind the melody but that last part drops in the reality that there's an element of being melancholic that some of us quite enjoy.

Jockice

Quote from: MiddleRabbit on March 28, 2020, 10:33:44 AM
Nah, it's perfect.  The la-la melody was on the writer's demo and she went with it to the note.  The verses and chorus all land on the sadder side of melancholy, even as the harmony rises behind the melody but that last part drops in the reality that there's an element of being melancholic that some of us quite enjoy.

I beg to differ. Of course.

Captain Z

I just payed full attention to Duran Duran's Rio for the first time and it strikes me how crap the verses are in comparison to the iconic chorus.

Quote from: poodlefaker on March 16, 2020, 05:07:22 PM
Living Too Late by The Fall - the "I saw through the trees..." bits.

Can't agree with that, but I'll nominate 'The Chiselers' - that horrible operatic bit in the middle and the happy-house interlude...that's two shit bits ruining an otherwise great track.

MrMrs

Did Freddie ever talk about why he did that in Under Pressure?

Mr Farenheit

Betcha Can't Kiss Me by Ike and Tina Turner

Starts punching you in the stomach with a raw guitar and kind of fuzz horn riff, couple of verses with Tina and call-and-response with the Ikettes, everything raw and funky so far, then another bit setting the scene for the chorus- the Ikettes ramp things up: 'no more, no more, NO MOOOOOOORE!!' A scream from Tina and here comes the chorus! everything has been building up to this moment...
And what do you get? Fucking chipmunk voices.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5vwCg02MEAE

Keebleman

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 17, 2020, 11:25:53 AM
The second half of the guitar solo in My Sharona by The Knack.
I'll second this. It has nothing to do with the rest of the song at all, completely spoils its spiky swing.

I'll nominate the keyboard solo in In My Life. It sounds downright kitschy.

TheMonk

I'd say the weird fast jaunty bit in Say You, Say Me by Lionel Richie. But the whole song is shit.

smudge1971

That awful '70s rock-chick belter' wailing at the end of Lazy Line Painter Jane.

Spiteface

Re: Manics.

I never did like the bit at the end of "The Masses Against The Classes" where James yells that Albert Camus quote:

"A slave begins by demanding justice, and ends by wanting to wear a crown"

I get what the song was going for, a call back to their earlier punky numbers, but that ending makes it all to obvious they're trying to do a new "Motown Junk" and it is embarassing.

sutin

Paranoid Android by Radiohead. It's the only Radiohead song I like, as long as I fast forward through the gurn* section in the middle.

* - the Northern Irish usage of the word.

Pseudopath

Bucks Fizz - If You Can't Stand The Heat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pjfUQGIWW8

All well and good, but who invited the fucking piccolo player at 0:53? Never appears again throughout the entire song.

Dewt

Mott the Hoople - Roll Away The Stone opens with a classic guitar riff and a great verse and reasonable chorus but then fucks it up with a set piece conversation in the second half with spooky growling that makes you feel like you're being seduced by your aunt

Gregory Torso

Quote from: smudge1971 on March 29, 2020, 01:55:50 PM
That awful '70s rock-chick belter' wailing at the end of Lazy Line Painter Jane.

Or, actually like, right get this yeah, Lazy Line Painter Jane is by far the best thing that Belle And Sebastian ever did and Monica Queen (from the band Thrum) is a great singer who compliments Stuart Murdoch perfectly. Also there are no vocals at the end of the song.

Twit 2

Quote from: H-O-W-L on March 17, 2020, 03:04:03 PM
The long, slow, Ki-style bridge in Devin Townsend's otherwise sublime Borderlands. Best song on Empath by far (and that album really is a belter all round so that's saying something) but the Ki-style bridge is honestly shit and unfitting, it's like he didn't know how to make the song longer than 7 minutes so he wanted to fill it.

Ha! My fave bit of the song. I do really like his Ki/Ghost sound, though.

kalowski

Quote from: Dewt on April 02, 2020, 09:26:36 PM
Mott the Hoople - Roll Away The Stone opens with a classic guitar riff and a great verse and reasonable chorus but then fucks it up with a set piece conversation in the second half with spooky growling that makes you feel like you're being seduced by your aunt
Doesn't it have awful "Sha la la la push push" backing vocals?

non capisco

Quote from: Gregory Torso on April 02, 2020, 10:02:32 PM
Or, actually like, right get this yeah, Lazy Line Painter Jane is by far the best thing that Belle And Sebastian ever did and Monica Queen (from the band Thrum) is a great singer who compliments Stuart Murdoch perfectly. Also there are no vocals at the end of the song.

Agreed, AND the end of the song with that wurlitzer or whatever it is going garrity is fucking amazing. Lazy Line Painter Jane is the only Belle and Sebastian song I really love, partially because it's not just that milksop singing on it with his voice like a pleading deaf orphan.

smudge1971

Quote from: non capisco on April 04, 2020, 08:53:51 PM
Agreed, AND the end of the song with that wurlitzer or whatever it is going garrity is fucking amazing. Lazy Line Painter Jane is the only Belle and Sebastian song I really love, partially because it's not just that milksop singing on it with his voice like a pleading deaf orphan.

It IS the end of the song. Figuratively (the song is dead) and literally (I turn the track off)
Other opinions are also valid and available