Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:37:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Am I being a shit by still going to the cinema?

Started by mjwilson, March 15, 2020, 10:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjwilson

So, I went to the cinema yesterday and today to see films. Is that a bad idea?

I'm sort of planning on carrying on going till they get shut down. But I'm seeing lots of "you shouldn't be going out to any kind of gathering" articles going around suggesting that I'm likely to be contributing to the spread of coronavirus by sitting in a room where some people may be infected but symptomless.

I did wash my hands though.

So am I being an evil selfish shit?

Captain Crunch

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: mjwilson on March 15, 2020, 10:17:09 PM
So, I went to the cinema yesterday and today to see films. Is that a bad idea?

Yes, stop going dickhead.

Mister Six

Yes, but logically so is everyone else you're sitting with, so maybe you all deserve whatever ghastly diseases you give one another.

(Nah, not really. Unless you're sweating profusely into seats, so long as you sit reasonably far away from other people it should be all right, no? Although I'm trying to avoid enclosed public areas in general, so I won't be following suit.)

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Depends. Are they doing checkerboard seating (i.e. every second seat empty so as to facilitate social distancing)? Or are you going at times when people don't typically go to the cinema?

Like there is a mental and emotional toll to THE SHUTDOWN and if you can go to the pictures or have dinner out somewhere safely then you probably should.

dissolute ocelot

You're more likely to spread disease on the bus going there. Most cinemas are near-empty even without apocalyptodiseases. Sit behind someone and cough in their nachos.

chveik

If you go, you contribute to a world epidemic; if you don't, cinemas close, with economic ramifications causing homelessness and suicide.   You just can't win.

I love the cinema, even if its blockbusters are less appealing with each passing year.

Quote from: thecuriousorange on March 16, 2020, 01:24:39 PM
I love the cinema, even if its blockbusters are less appealing with each passing year.

I felt the same about Bob Holness.

Chollis

5 bags of popcorn and maybe one of those little face masks

Custard

Nah, best time to go. There were 5 other people there when I went to see The Invisible Man the other day

MORE LIKE INVISIBLE AUDIENCE EH LADS

mjwilson

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on March 16, 2020, 10:23:08 AM
You're more likely to spread disease on the bus going there.

I walked to the cinema to avoid this problem.

Armin Meiwes

I've got an annual pass so doesn't even cost me anything! But figured I'd prob better knock it on the head, tempting as it is, because yes I guess you are prob just making the problem worse.

Bad Ambassador

Odeon and Cineworld are closing for the duration, so that's that.

Wet Blanket

I went last night to a screening of Blue Velvet. The cinema had the same eerie, end of the world feel that a lot of places have at the moment. Considered not bothering but the tickets had been booked ages ago and the screening was going ahead so I chanced it, and glad I did too cos it looks like it'll be a while before cinema-going is possible again

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on March 17, 2020, 02:32:55 PM
Odeon and Cineworld are closing for the duration, so that's that.

GFT emailed to say they're shutting until mid-april.

They've just had their film festival so hopefully that'll keep them going.

Alberon

I think the era of the cinema is just about done.

The virus could be the beginning of the end of it as a mass market thing.

Ferris

Quote from: Alberon on March 17, 2020, 08:53:45 PM
I think the era of the cinema is just about done.

The virus could be the beginning of the end of it as a mass market thing.

I wondered this. I saw a few films licensed by [distributor I've forgotten] are being released via streaming 48hr rental.

The era of the cinema is dead? Weren't cinemas raking in record profits (minus the current situation)?

Had the pleasure of meeting cinema at a charity do once, etc.

Small Man Big Horse

Replies From View

If cinemas are reporting record profits it must only be because they charge a cartoonishly high ticket price.

SavageHedgehog

For grosses sure (although the Odeon and Vue in my city dropped prices to £5 a ticket a year ago), but the 2018 article is talking about attendance rather than grosses. I'm surprised too.

Custard

The cinema in Bognor is 3.50 a ticket

It's like sitting in someone's living room, but still. 3.50

Alberon

How much profit do cinemas make? If the studios make more off a cinema screening rather than streaming it suggests they get a good share of each ticket.

Why is Cineworld in trouble?

Ferris

Quote from: Alberon on March 18, 2020, 06:17:55 PM
How much profit do cinemas make? If the studios make more off a cinema screening rather than streaming it suggests they get a good share of each ticket.

Why is Cineworld in trouble?

No one to sell popcorn and massive pepsi to because we're all at home streaming it