Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 02:58:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Am I being a shit by still going to the cinema?

Started by mjwilson, March 15, 2020, 10:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pranet

Box Office Mojo grimly fascinating. Top film in America on 17th March was Onward. It made an average of $80 per theatre. On 12th March it was also the top film, making an average of $940.

Ferris

I could release a film to a local cinema, buy $1000 of seats, and be the #1 box office smash.

Pranet

Baaghi 3 averaged $1 a screen to be the 29th best performing film of the day. It was in 257 theatres. I don't know how much cinema tickets are in America but maybe 50 people saw it?

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Don't the movie studios get most of the ticket sales though? I remember reading somewhere that's why the snacks and drinks cost so much - that's where the cinemas make most of their money.

Ferris

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on March 19, 2020, 01:13:32 AM
Don't the movie studios get most of the ticket sales though? I remember reading somewhere that's why the snacks and drinks cost so much - that's where the cinemas make most of their money.

The boring answer is "it depends". My friend used to run an independent cinema - big films from monster distributors would take a high percentage of the ticket sales, or impose a high upfront cost for the reel (or both), but everyone would come and see that so you'd sell loads of popcorn or whatever. I remember they passed on one of the Harry Potter films because the margin was so low for them. It might have been 0, I don't remember.

...whereas a smaller indie film might have a much higher margin for the theatre, but for a much lower volume of ticket sales.

I'm convinced that is what drives theatres to go more down the "experience" route and buy in cheap cult films from years ago because they'd be cheap to get a distribution reel, and you can get lots of people buying popcorn wearing their finest Rocky Horror Show garb (or whatever).

zomgmouse

short answer: yes

long answer: the cinema itself should be shut down

longer answer: YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

steveh

Quote from: Alberon on March 18, 2020, 06:17:55 PM
Why is Cineworld in trouble?

Massive debt incurred buying the US Regal Cinema chain which they may have problems servicing.

Wouldn't be surprised if Empire Cinemas have problems too - they're a small chain controlled by one man, have had problems before which led to them selling off several cinemas and they need growth to survive.

dissolute ocelot

If The Lion King remake can make $1.6billion worldwide, you have to conclude that cinemas aren't in enough trouble.