Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:58:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Westworld Season 3: Feel better deep inside an electronic carcass

Started by Zero Gravitas, March 16, 2020, 12:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ja'moke

Quote from: Puce Moment on May 10, 2020, 01:30:50 PM
Elsewhere, the Nazees storyline is shit. But I quite like the Jesse story - in particular the Genre drug part was a fun bit of SF. I also like seeing the 'real' world in all of its dystopian glory.

I felt like the Genre drug part was one of the biggest missed opportunities of this show, and so fittingly Westworld. Here's a drug that makes its user feel like they're flipping through different genres, and what do we get? One scene where he sees things in black and white and then a few soundtrack changes. They could have went all-out with that concept, set changes, costume changes, dialogue changes, the whole lot. Not just, oh the soundtrack is a bit heavier now.

Imagine if a show like Legion or Mr. Robot or Watchmen had written the Genre drug episode and how creative they would have been with it.

Puce Moment

You're not wrong! I rewatched it back and the genres (other than noir and love story) are rather difficult to discern. Like a lot of Westworld, I am finding this season to be heavily influenced both by Chris Nolan's shitty films, and the writings/SF concepts of of Iain M. Banks. In particular, the use of Special Circumstances as a term, and Jesse clearly doing something that is very close to Banks' concept of 'glanding' via a neural lace.

But in the scheme of things, it felt very un-Westworld for a moment, which was a nice relief. Yes, Watchmen would have had a lot of fun with this. Despite all of that, I have found myself enjoying this season of Westworld a lot, helped in part by drugs.