Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:25:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Characters from Sitcoms you find annoying

Started by Dannyhood91, March 16, 2020, 09:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannyhood91

I'm sitting here trying to ignore the fact we will all be dead soon by rewatching Absolutely Fabulous. Saffy really is a pain in the arse and should just let her weird mum have a laugh ffs. i don't like Saffys stuffy attitude and I think it's great when Patsy stubs fags out on her.

Who's your annoying sitcom character?

Small Man Big Horse

Ross from Friends, Ted from How I Met Your Mother and JD from Scrubs all fill me with a rage that is quite, quite disturbing.

selectivememory

Tahani from The Good Place. Found her very repetitive (and the joke wasn't that funny in the first place) and I didn't really like the performance by the actor either. It was kind of nails-on-chalkboard for me at times with her.

Dusty Substance

Kryten. Robert Llewellyn seems like a really nice guy but I never quite fully took to Kryten.

Spare Head 3 was much better.

bgmnts

Everyone in Scrubs.
Everyone in Friends.
Everyone in Frasier except Martin and Eddie.
Everyone on Everybody Loves Raymond.
Everyone in King of Queens.
Everyone in How I Met Your Mother
Everyone in Big Bang Theory.

Mobius

Methodone Mick in Still Game
Mr Wu in Benidorm

Dannyhood91

idunnosomename

oh shit i forgot brendon was ginger too. neither of them, they are both cool

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I still love Absolutely Fabulous and I thought the movie was a great way to cap off the series, but elements of it make me uncomfortable now? Like, Saffron is essentially forced into a parental role when she's sixteen (maybe younger, depending on when Serge took off) and that's kiiinda child abuse-y? But I wouldn't say she's annoying. Early Bubble is annoying but I love the turn she takes in later seasons where she's just zinging Eddie. Ties in with the big reveal in the movie where it turns out she's been embezzling for years.

Quote from: bgmnts on March 16, 2020, 09:46:35 PM
Everyone in Scrubs.
Everyone in Friends.
Everyone in Frasier except Martin and Eddie.
Everyone on Everybody Loves Raymond.
Everyone in King of Queens.
Everyone in How I Met Your Mother
Everyone in Big Bang Theory.
You know you can just say "I don't like American sitcoms."

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 16, 2020, 09:30:55 PM
JD from Scrubs fills me with a rage that is quite, quite disturbing.
A few years ago Comedy Central ran two episodes of Scrubs every day five days a week, and I watched it because I had only seen it sporadically when it was first broadcast.

After a month I could do an impression of an episode of Scrubs.

JD is not the most annoying character for me. That honour goes to Dr. Cox. He has some funny lines, but his overall unpleasantness is really wearing after a while, especially if you watch episodes in blocks rather than once a week as intended. "Ooh look at me I'm an angry badass but secretly I drink and am tortured, look at all this depth I have, that excuses me being a massive, massive, unprofessional bollocks to everyone around me" fuck off with that shit. I have no patience for characters like that anymore. It's why I just can't with Rick and Morty. I gave it three episodes, but I couldn't get past the grandfather staggering around urping his contempt for his family while being lauded as a genius not only by the other characters but by the writers too. Morty's constant high-pitched gibbering can fuck off too.

The entire cast of Zombie Simpsons annoys me now. I can't even sit through a new episode. Nonsensical garbage spouted by cutouts that say whatever the writers want and to hell with character or personality.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Anyone in an American sitcom who the audience cheer when they come on.
Aaaaaaaaay

Jumblegraws

Gene from Bob's Burgers. Although it is impressive to be the most overly-shouty character in a cast that includes Kristen Schaal.

Lisa from the Simpsons.

I don't even think it's the character, it's that whining performance that Yeardley Smith goes to when she needs to be forthright in a belief that none of the other characters share.

I'd quite like Tom Haverford from Parks and Rec to be lowered into a vat of acid.

I know there's defenders who say he's supposed to be irritating as fuck, but he's also massively unlikeable when the show wants you to sympathise with him (his dogshit cologne smelling like shit; his green card wife leaving him). So he can climb into a hole and stay there until the acid arrives please.

ishantbekeepingit

I know he's a lot of people's favourite character, but I've never really cared for Tobias Fünke.  While he's not quite one-note, a significant portion of his character/jokes is devoted to "Freudian slips about being gay", which I have never found funny.  Especially his most famous line, "I blue myself." What, habitually?  His actual line should be "I blued myself," but then they can't have the pun, which wouldn't work anyway because a) we've never seen him blow himself and b) blowing yourself is no gayer than wanking but an awful lot more impressive.

dissolute ocelot

TheMonk

"You're getting my dander up, you grotty little man."
But surely that's the point.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on March 16, 2020, 11:31:38 PM
Rick and Morty. I gave it three episodes, but I couldn't get past the grandfather staggering around urping his contempt for his family while being lauded as a genius not only by the other characters but by the writers too.
It seems that all Dan Harmon Shows eventually become a screed about how Dan Harmon is just too clever to be nice to people.

phantom_power

Nah I think Rick is meant to be an arsehole, clever enough to see what an arsehole he is and why but without the emotional capacity to not be. The whole point, to me, is being nice is better than being clever but being clever allows you to justify your not being nice but that is just a cop-out and taking the easy option.

Puce Moment

I'm on season 8 of a The Office re-watch and I generally find all of the characters to be funny in different ways. But the introduction of Catherine Tate is awkward, pointless and usually unfunny.

kitsofan34

The two brothers from Friday Night Dinner.

markburgle

That one from Upstart Crow that's just a Ricky Gervais impression. Bizarrely shit idea that was

Len Pounds

Quote from: Puce Moment on March 17, 2020, 12:15:31 PM
I'm on season 8 of a The Office re-watch and I generally find all of the characters to be funny in different ways. But the introduction of Catherine Tate is awkward, pointless and usually unfunny.

There are only two series of a The Office as far as I'm concerned!

That Swindon lot are pretty annoying. Neil was one of those infuriating oh so great guys who everyone else seems to adore, and only you can see he's really a bit of a knob. Comes across as smug even when he's being sincere, and not as interesting as everyone thinks he is.

Also that woman who decided David's (admittedly shite) joke was so inappropriate and offensive that she took it upon herself to report him for it. Yet when she was given a dildo as a birthday present, it was all just a bit of fun!

Chollis

Ted from How I Met Your Mother is the absolute worst. The definition of a punchable face. But then they're all annoying, NPH's character is the only bearable one.

Phoebe is def the worst of the Friends bunch aye.
Find Jim and Pam generally quite unbearable, it's the other characters that make it.
Raj in Big Bang Theory, has the shittest jokes in an already awful comedy.

Frasier's weird in that I think I like all of the characters. Daphne and that accent can get a bit much. Might need to think on that more.

Utter Shit

Gavin and Stacey from that show, I forget the name. I absolutely love the show (the new episode was pretty crap, mind) and it's jam-packed full of great characters like Nessa, Mick, Pam, Dave Coaches, Dawn and Pete, Doris, Glyn, even Smithy is good despite being played by an irredeemable twat. But Gavin is a boring, joyless drip and Stacey is a spoiled, arrogant drama queen.

EDIT: Cassandra from OFAH, surprised she hasn't been mentioned yet. Awful actress. Also the teenage Damien was terrible, and the toddler Damien managed to annoy me despite only ever having one line, the way he said "night" before going to bed irritates me far more than it should do. Newborn Damien though, now there was an actor.

Utter Shit

Quote from: ishantbekeepingit on March 17, 2020, 10:03:36 AM
I know he's a lot of people's favourite character, but I've never really cared for Tobias Fünke.  While he's not quite one-note, a significant portion of his character/jokes is devoted to "Freudian slips about being gay", which I have never found funny.  Especially his most famous line, "I blue myself." What, habitually?  His actual line should be "I blued myself," but then they can't have the pun, which wouldn't work anyway because a) we've never seen him blow himself and b) blowing yourself is no gayer than wanking but an awful lot more impressive.

I think the joke works - he is in the Blue Man Group, so he would be doing it regularly rather than just as a one-off?

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on March 17, 2020, 10:07:53 AM
Liz Lemon from 30 Rock.

She's alright for the first three series, but then they turn her into a cartoon character, with Jack going in the reverse direction.

That said, it always did my head in from the start that they present her as this ugly, fat, disgusting, old mess when Tina Fey is none of those things.