Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:04:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Characters from Sitcoms you find annoying

Started by Dannyhood91, March 16, 2020, 09:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: PeterCornelius on March 24, 2020, 03:13:29 PM
Whilst I'm a lifelong Dad's Army fan, Corporal Jones is my least favourite character. We're supposed to laugh every time he shout's 'Don't Panic!' but it's just tedious. Clive Dunn enjoyed a successful career playing variations on this theme. I suppose we should be pleased for him. I'm not.

And 'they don't like it up 'em!'   

Dunn's character was sometimes funny when not parroting catchphrases though, and I liked him in that kids series Granddad in the 70s.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Rewatching the later seasons of Absolutely Fabulous and I hate hate hate what they did to Saffy's friend Sarah. She goes from being little more than a speaking extra to being actually insane. I fast-forward through her scenes because they're so cringey. Not the actress's fault - she's written that way.

thenoise

Quote from: PeterCornelius on March 24, 2020, 03:13:29 PM
Whilst I'm a lifelong Dad's Army fan, Corporal Jones is my least favourite character. We're supposed to laugh every time he shout's 'Don't Panic!' but it's just tedious. Clive Dunn enjoyed a successful career playing variations on this theme. I suppose we should be pleased for him. I'm not.

I find his racism a bit troubling, especially as it is played for laughs.

His physical comedy is a point in his favour though - as I would roflcopter as a child when he shimmied up a flag pole or wobbled about on top of a ladder.  Even quite enjoyed his foot stomp being slightly behind the others, even though it was the same joke every week (multiple times).

Virgo76

That's just it.
Lance Corporal Jones appeals more to children than adults (not necessarily a bad thing in itself). I liked Jones the best as a kid but as I grew older I grew to enjoy the interplay between Wilson and Mainwaring more. I found Clive Dunn's performance increasingly show-offy and irritating. Over time, I've come to appreciate him more again.

I personally hate the character of Laura (Kerry Howard) in Him and Her. She's always meant to be hateful, but over time came to dominate the series to such an extent that her awfulness pretty much ruined the show for me.

dex

Miranda the character in the sitcom of the same name and Miranda the actress playing said character.

Virgo76

Quote from: dex on March 25, 2020, 05:34:00 PM
Miranda the character in the sitcom of the same name and Miranda the actress playing said character.

Not a cool thing to say, but I like her.
She has a real talent for physical comedy particularly and 'plays drunk' very well in one episode.
I don't think we should turn this into a 'I hate a certain actor' thread. That said, I am a bit conflicted about Kerry Howard/Laura as:
a) part of the reason she ruined Him & Her for me, was because she gave such a good comedy performance
and
b) although I genuinely don't think she is evil like that character, I really haven't warmed to her in anything else I've seen (e.g. Judge Romesh). She was, after all, one of the least convincing contestants ever on Would I Lie To You? which pretty much makes her worse than Hitler in my book.

markburgle

Quote from: Dannyhood91 on March 16, 2020, 09:27:44 PM
I'm sitting here trying to ignore the fact we will all be dead soon by rewatching Absolutely Fabulous. Saffy really is a pain in the arse and should just let her weird mum have a laugh ffs. i don't like Saffys stuffy attitude and I think it's great when Patsy stubs fags out on her.

Who's your annoying sitcom character?

That seems a bit like saying "why is the wacky one in this double act hanging around with that boring straight man all the time? It'd be better if he was off by himself free to just go "doodle oodle ooo!" all the time without restriction!"

petril

Quote from: markburgle on March 26, 2020, 08:06:25 AM
That seems a bit like saying "why is the wacky one in this double act hanging around with that boring straight man all the time? It'd be better if he was off by himself free to just go "doodle oodle ooo!" all the time without restriction!"

I must admit I read this in a Rik Mayall Character voice. Probably works best as Richie Rich

Quote from: petrilTanaka on March 26, 2020, 06:18:26 PM
I must admit I read this in a Rik Mayall Character voice. Probably works best as Richie Rich

Remove the first six words and the last two and it would sound good voiced by Tony Robinson as Baldrick.

Clownbaby

3rd Rock from The Sun, Tommy's girlfriend August was a smug cow, I don't know why she was still in it after they broke up. Such a sneery bitch. I mean that was obviously the point so she played the character well, but what a shit.

Tom from Parks and Rec is a little anus. He's too repulsive for a character you're supposed to find lovably cringey. This might be because of the casting, Aziz Ansari always leaves me cold, there's something about his face I can't engage with

I know The Big Bang Theory is generally shit across the board but my god I don't hear enough disgust directed at Amy Farrah-Fowler, she's horrible. Absolutely horrible. Again, she's supposed to be the one we kind of "awww" at because she's so creepy and awkward and the writing is very heavily directed at that, but for that to work, the character has to be innately charming. Which she obviously isn't.

the science eel

Clownbaby

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 17, 2020, 10:18:01 PM
Stewie from Family Guy. Actually, everyone from Family Guy, but mainly Stewie.

For me it's Quagmire. Not earlier pervert Quagmire though. The bizarrely uppity and bitter, angry drama queen he would become. I'm not sure when it happened but he started getting pure bitchy and depressive. There was a massive long rant from him about Brian where he goes on a diatribe to him about how much he hates him, and it came across as bizarrely malicious and self-righteous coming from the Hawaiian shirt wearing sleaze he's been up to that point. Bizarre.

Amy Santiago from Brooklyn Nine Nine. I like the show but her character has always wound me up. Her over-the-top love of admin. Her pathetic need to be approved by Captain Holt. Add to this the fact that whoever plays her is a truly woeful actress. Diaz ain't much better but has coaxed an occasional laugh from me.

Virgo76

Quote from: Clownbaby on March 27, 2020, 12:45:25 AM
For me it's Quagmire. Not earlier pervert Quagmire though. The bizarrely uppity and bitter, angry drama queen he would become. I'm not sure when it happened but he started getting pure bitchy and depressive. There was a massive long rant from him about Brian where he goes on a diatribe to him about how much he hates him, and it came across as bizarrely malicious and self-righteous coming from the Hawaiian shirt wearing sleaze he's been up to that point. Bizarre.

He always makes me think of Bob Hope. I'm really not sure why.

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on March 26, 2020, 08:02:25 PM
Remove the first six words and the last two and it would sound good voiced by Tony Robinson as Baldrick.

Or Neil from The Young Ones.

kalowski

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on March 19, 2020, 01:57:29 PM
Which one's the best- Carla from " Scrubs" or Carla from " Cheers" ? There's only one way to find out...
I'd watch that fight. Well, if Carla #1 was played by Lana Rhoades and Carla #2 was played by Adriana Chechnik...and they were both naked... then I'd watch it.

Jockice

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 18, 2020, 11:44:12 AM
All the characters in Curb Your Enthusiasm who completely overreact to whatever innocuous thing Larry has done that week. Richard Lewis just in general.

Yes. I can see that. And I can also understand a later poster's 'that's what's funny about it.' But I verge towards the former.

Jockice

Quote from: markburgle on March 26, 2020, 08:06:25 AM

It's also like Mike Murray saying that he thought Lippy The Lion And Hardy Har Har would be better without the latter character in it, as his pessimism spoiled the show. This was circa 1975 though so I'm not sure if he still holds that opinion.

Clownbaby

Quote from: Virgo76 on March 27, 2020, 07:24:50 AM
He always makes me think of Bob Hope. I'm really not sure why.

Pretty sure he's directly based on Bob Hope to be fair

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Mantis Toboggan on March 27, 2020, 06:47:31 AM
Amy Santiago from Brooklyn Nine Nine. I like the show but her character has always wound me up. Her over-the-top love of admin. Her pathetic need to be approved by Captain Holt. Add to this the fact that whoever plays her is a truly woeful actress. Diaz ain't much better but has coaxed an occasional laugh from me.

Brooklyn Nine Nine is weird as a comedy show which is quite enjoyable despite all the characters being a bit annoying. There's a lot of Andy Samberg and Chelsea Peretti hate, but the rest are no better. It never aims to be realistic or to portray actual human beings, and just tries to be silly, so I guess character isn't important.

The Giggling Bean

Methadone Mick from Still Game. I get that they wanted to fill the gap left when Jake D'arcy passed but everything about MM grated on me.

Virgo76

I can never get into Brooklyn Nine Nine despite trying repeatedly.
It's so close to hitting the spot but just misses it. Perhaps character is the issue. Although it is popular so maybe it's just me.

Cuellar

Kevin, from the American Office.

Michael, from the American Office.

Andy, from the American Office.

Jim, from the American Office.

Pam, from the American Office.

Meredith, from the American Office.

Oscar, from the American Office.

Toby, from the American Office.

Dwight, from the American Office.

I mean I could go on (if I could remember the rest of the characters).

Thursday

Of course all the characters in Brooklyn Nine Nine are unlikable , they're cops.

Cerys

Quote from: markburgle on March 17, 2020, 12:58:40 PM
That one from Upstart Crow that's just a Ricky Gervais impression. Bizarrely shit idea that was

Oh, hells, yes.  I spotted the actor in something else recently and almost swore at the TV in a Pavlovian response.

Sebastian Cobb

Michael in lead balloon although that seems to just be Tony Gardner's act.

the science eel

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 04, 2020, 04:14:45 AM
Michael in lead balloon although that seems to just be Tony Gardner's act.

The Polish maid is worse.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Clownbaby on March 27, 2020, 12:45:25 AM

I'm with you there, and while I don't like the way they changed Brian in to an often smug hypocritical idiot, hearing him criticised by a rapist (at least if you take that bit where they featured Quagmire interacting with The Simpsons as canon) always just makes me feel sorry for Brian.

Quote from: Cerys on April 04, 2020, 03:15:26 AM
Oh, hells, yes.  I spotted the actor in something else recently and almost swore at the TV in a Pavlovian response.

Spencer Jones is a fantastic stand up though, so I've no idea (other than money) why he took on the Upstart Crow role.

Cerys

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Maybe he was quite glad of some acting work and exposure in a tv show written by a well-established, near- legendary comedy writer, and to be part of quite a glittering cast, his stand-up work, no matter how good it is, not having made him a multi- millionaire yet.

DrGreggles

Unless they're a huge star, an actor will always take a gig on a telly show.