Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:15:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Which companies/businesses are gonna take it up the jacksie?

Started by Sin Agog, March 16, 2020, 09:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin Agog

And which ones will roll in the coronabucks?

Today I subscribed to Amazon Prime for the first time in ages solely for the sake of Amazon Pantry, so I imagine it can't harm Bezos any.

purlieu

Smiths' share prices have taken a beating - store wise the company makes a significant amount of its profit from its travel branches, so it could easily go under.

As someone who had to stop working there because of health conditions brought on by the job, I will obviously laugh a lot if it happens. And then feel sorry for all their employees and anyone who wants to buy a book on the high street.

peanutbutter

If it stretches deep into festival season I assume every music promoter asides from the very biggest one or two

Fambo Number Mive

Airlines will be severely affected.

I'm concerned about train companies - if they lose significant amounts of money might they cut services or raise fares to compensate?

Rizla

A lot of sports clubs, I'd imagine. Half the teams in the SPFL are on a shoogly peg as it is. Heart Of Midlothian FC are surely fucked, Rangers too, fingers crossed.

bgmnts

Noonling

Non Stop Dancer

I employ 4 people. I'm quietly confident things will be OK in the long term, but the truth is we can't afford to pay people for very long if there's no money coming in. Really tough to know exactly how things are going to go but if revenue didn't take a decent hit one way or another I'd be beyond astonished. I can afford to not pay myself for a while but my business partner can't.

Alberon

If this lockdown lasts even just a month I can't see how half the companies in the country can avoid going to the wall.

Non Stop Dancer

Beth Rigby on Sky just now saying she's got wind of additional financial help for business beyond what was announced in the budget. We'll already be getting the £3k grant, so anything more along those lines will help keep people in jobs. It was good enough for the banks wasn't it, so everyone else's turn now.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

TDs here reckon some pubs won't come back from the two-week closure.

Coronavirus is completely at odds with the values of the Carphone Warehouse.

But they deny it's the reason for shutting 531 stores, with almost 3,000 job losses.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-51923295

holyzombiejesus

Will DIY places do well? Presumably they'll deliver and I can envisage lots of people thinking they'll use some of the time off to decorate and sort their houses out.

Uncle TechTip

In France, garden centres are among the few places allowed to open.

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on March 16, 2020, 10:29:42 PM
I employ 4 people. I'm quietly confident things will be OK in the long term, but the truth is we can't afford to pay people for very long if there's no money coming in. Really tough to know exactly how things are going to go but if revenue didn't take a decent hit one way or another I'd be beyond astonished. I can afford to not pay myself for a while but my business partner can't.

Pretty much the same (retail), we're not even going to be able to pay staff at the end of the month unless people go out and start spending (very unlikely).

Bonus: they're all on zero hour contracts.
Negative: they're all close family members.

idunnosomename

do french garden centres also have tea rooms and sell greetings cards and Classic FM compilation CDs for £15.99?

jobotic

Wetherspoons will do alright. All the proper pubs derelict.  2022 Cab meet?

Head Gardener

pigamus

I reckon Athena will be alright, but it's Tandy I'm really worried about

In a further blow to cinema chains, a number of big releases are now going straight to streaming services. When Coronavirus ends people may well decide they like their own comfy sofa more than going outside

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/film/2020/mar/16/the-hunt-the-invisible-man-emma-on-demand-universal

Head Gardener

and the tagline for the new Invisible Man - "what you can't see can hurt you"

Blue Jam

Quote from: purlieu on March 16, 2020, 09:32:15 PM
Smiths' share prices have taken a beating - store wise the company makes a significant amount of its profit from its travel branches, so it could easily go under.

Monsoon/Accessorise are in the same boat (or plane) there. Closing high street branches and relying on people who get to the airport and realise they forgot to pack a hat and some sunglasses.

steveh

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 16, 2020, 09:48:47 PM
Cineworld reckon they might be fucked.

In an FT interview the CEO reckoned it will all be okay: "If we don't sell movies, we don't pay for the movies. If we don't sell Pepsi, we don't pay for the Pepsi ... A lot of our temporary manpower, if we don't invite them to work if the cinemas are closed, we are also not paying them."

I'm sure that went down well with the people who work for them.

Quote from: steveh on March 17, 2020, 12:54:01 PM
A lot of our temporary manpower, if we don't invite them to work if the cinemas are closed, we are also not paying them."

I'm sure that went down well with the people who work for them.

Zero hour contract reality unfortunately.

Blue Jam

A load of clothing stores will be in trouble I reckon. Checked my bank balance today and it looks like I've spent fuck-all this month. All I've been buying is food and groceries and booze.