Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:54:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Which companies/businesses are gonna take it up the jacksie?

Started by Sin Agog, March 16, 2020, 09:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaky

I reckon Betamax and ColecoVision will swoop in to fill the void.

dissolute ocelot

Multiple music venues are already crowdfunding to pay staff/keep going. A lot of smaller music promoters are saying "please don't claim refunds on cancelled/'postponed' tickets".

Nobody's going to buy nice clothes, although maybe I can corner the market in pyjamas and slippers.

As others have mentioned, cinemas are going to be affected - even Cineworld cunts. Long-term it will shift even more to home viewing and the ending of theatrical release windows. The big movie studios make less money from streaming, so maybe they'll be fucked. Good. (For smaller movie companies it's different, hopefully.)

purlieu

Opposite of thread title, but Netflix and Spotify are going to be fucking raking it in.

Blue Jam

Quote from: purlieu on March 17, 2020, 01:15:45 PM
Opposite of thread title, but Netflix and Spotify are going to be fucking raking it in.

A golden age for online gaming too.

purlieu

Just got an email from Cineworld saying they're closing all branches. Wonder if Disney are still planning to release Black Widow in a few weeks.

Kryton

Quote from: purlieu on March 17, 2020, 01:15:45 PM

and computer games bought online.

Alberon

I read a report somewhere that Fortnite's servers have been struggling in Italy from the load.

Ferris

Quote from: steveh on March 17, 2020, 12:54:01 PM
In an FT interview the CEO reckoned it will all be okay: "If we don't sell movies, we don't pay for the movies. If we don't sell Pepsi, we don't pay for the Pepsi ... A lot of our temporary manpower, if we don't invite them to work if the cinemas are closed, we are also not paying them."

I'm sure that went down well with the people who work for them.

"invite them to work"

Fucking hell

Quote from: Alberon on March 17, 2020, 08:46:48 PM
I read a report somewhere that Fortnite's servers have been struggling in Italy from the load.

They're all struggling in Italy from the load by the time etc....

Jasha

The supermarkets should be wallowing in cash if the bare shelves are anything to go by.

mjwilson

Quote from: purlieu on March 17, 2020, 07:38:57 PM
Just got an email from Cineworld saying they're closing all branches. Wonder if Disney are still planning to release Black Widow in a few weeks.

They are not.

Cerys

Quote from: Danger Man on March 17, 2020, 10:59:06 AM
Laura Ashley appears to have gone bust.

Laura Ashley were in trouble anyway.  It's not impossible that they threw in the tasteful floral towel now so as to be able to blame it on the virus.

Barry Admin

I was taking to a young woman in the Mace today, and asked her what she thought of the whole thing. She said she was raging about it as it was costing her money; I asked what she meant, and she said everyone was wanting to work, so she wasn't getting as many hours.

Must be loads of overtime going, and people are evidently desperate for it. Imagine? I don't even like going in there at the minute, and I'm not digging through the reduced food quite as enthusiastically now in particular.

Blue Jam

Just got an email from GAME assuring me that their stores and in-store gaming arenas are squeaky-clean.

Not had one from Cex yet...

Non Stop Dancer

Clients dropping like flies at the moment, suspect they'll all be gone by this time next week. All making the right noises about resuming when things blow over and we've got a decent pipeline of new business, but again none of that is now going to convert immediately.

Can't really see an option other than laying all 4 staff off within days. This is going to be happening in countless business all over the country.

Ferris

I've had 2 breweries email me about being able to deliver beer directly to my door. Think it's gonna be ok.

Blue Jam

I've had two pubs I follow on Facebook advertising their beer delivery services. This being Scotland, one of them is even starting a service where you can leave a growler* at the pub door with your contactless card, then knock and they'll fill it up, take payment and pass your card and carry-out booze back through the door. Trust the Scots to be inventive.

*Not that kind, you smutty lot

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 18, 2020, 09:32:30 PM
I've had two pubs I follow on Facebook advertising their beer delivery services. This being Scotland, one of them is even starting a service where you can leave a growler* at the pub door with your contactless card, then knock and they'll fill it up, take payment and pass your card and carry-out booze back through the door. Trust the Scots to be inventive.

Inventive but also what tens of thousands of pubs across Europe have been doing, while advertising their approach on Facebook for others to see.

Blue Jam

Unlike you Shoulders, the rest of us don't follow thousands of pubs across Europe...

;)

Zetetic

I think some it relates to depending on emergency-ish license relaxation in the UK?

Ferris

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 18, 2020, 09:32:30 PM

That%u2019s amazing. I wonder if you could do it a pint at a time for the lolz.

Breweries near me have a $50 minimum order, which seems a mad amount of booze (my wife would give me a look if I went ahead) so I don%u2019t think I%u2019ll bother.

BlodwynPig

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 18, 2020, 09:48:48 PM
Where did you copy and paste that from?

That neural network thing. I must have accidentally spliced in some apostrophes

Dewt

purlieu

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 18, 2020, 07:34:46 PM
Just got an email from GAME assuring me that their stores and in-store gaming arenas are squeaky-clean.
I'd be more inclined to believe Boris's announcements.

My social media has been full of people sharing ways to help independent businesses, and one that's come up a few times is getting in touch with bars and pubs to see if they have any bottled beer instead of going to shops. If footfall is low they'll probably be very happy to sell it off.

Despite evidence suggesting that the virus can last up to 24 hours on cardboard, delivery companies are actually ramping up their services, so I suppose beer deliveries won't be a problem.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Zetetic on March 18, 2020, 09:43:47 PM
I think some it relates to depending on emergency-ish license relaxation in the UK?

Carry-outs from pubs have been A Thing forever in Scotland. Never ordered one myself though. The one time I tried was when I found a pub with bottles of Superbock in stock that week I was planning to make my own Nando's, but they wouldn't sell it to me for consumption off the premises.

Might have to make my own Nando's for the foreseeable future :(