Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:44:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Lockdown tales

Started by chveik, March 16, 2020, 09:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

thread for people like me (in France, but it's been happening in most european countries) that are experiencing this. as of tomorrow, everytime we have to move, we'll need a written attestation (even if you're just popping down to your local food shop), and if we don't have it, there will be fines.

"France will mobilise 100,000 police to carry out checks on people's movements, the country's interior minister, Christophe Castaner, has said."

scary dystopian shit innit

Sin Agog

"Scrooge McDuck sequel strangely underwhelming"

Sebastian Cobb

Feel sorry for the poor modern cunt who hasn't got any pens or paper.

chveik

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 16, 2020, 10:02:16 PM
Feel sorry for the poor modern cunt who hasn't got any pens or paper.

you can download the attestation apparently

chveik

Ray Travez

On lockdown in a hostel in tenerife. Police patrolling the seafront. Some of us have started eating each other Nothing weird is happening at all.

popcorn

What is the attestation? Does it just say "hello I'm going for a walk"? What is the point?

Barry Admin

Did you see the Italian drones following people? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-51900325/coronavirus-please-stay-at-home

Actually hilarious at the end though when it gets all Yakety Sax.

Replies From View

Also why are they even afraid of people going outside and somehow contaminating the fresh air?  It's almost as if they haven't thought it through.

Sebastian Cobb

Just like them city scanners in hl2.

Quote from: Ray Travez on March 16, 2020, 10:21:47 PM
On lockdown in a hostel in tenerife. Police patrolling the seafront. Some of us have started eating each other Nothing weird is happening at all.

Is it weird that I genuinely like the sound of this a little bit? Just sit back and wait for it to blow over, what else you gonna do? Exhaust CaB and reddit and listen to all those audiobooks and podcasts you never got round to finishing...

I'd bloody love to self isolate for a few weeks but I cant as the people with mental health issues that I support cant pull their socks up for a few weeks and see to themselves, the self centred bastards

(This is a joke, I'm not that horrible a cunt. Do genuinely wish I could self isolate for a bit though)

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Ireland's not at full lockdown yet but all the pubs are closed because of arseholes packing into one pub in Temple Bar and ruining it for the rest of us. Gonna be a miserable St Patrick's Day, no parades, no pubs, no Roddy Doyle fillims on the television, can't even go to the races.

I'm sad now.

bgmnts

Not to go all FEMA conspiracy mental but this seems like a test run for when governments choose dystopian, oppressive Fascist societies full time.

Never waste a good crisis, as Curchill once said.

Ferris

Quote from: popcorn on March 16, 2020, 10:38:38 PM
What is the attestation? Does it just say "hello I'm going for a walk"? What is the point?

Yeah I don't follow this either. If you get a fine, can you not just verbally attest?

buttgammon

It will be a bleak Paddy's Day alright, not helped by the paucity of Roddy Doyle adaptations on RTÉ. I'll be getting hammered at home, and consoling myself with the thought that I no longer have to get up early on Wednesday mornings.

It's strange to think there were Champions League games on the telly less than a week ago and now we're left with this.

chveik

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 17, 2020, 12:03:46 AM
Yeah I don%u2019t follow this either. If you get a fine, can you not just verbally attest?

you can't. I don't completely understand their reasoning either. but I suppose they're just counting on people to follow the rules. the police checkpoints will make sure you're travelling alone.

besides, everything's closed, which gives less reasons for people to travel.

chveik

Quote from: bgmnts on March 17, 2020, 12:01:49 AM
Not to go all FEMA conspiracy mental but this seems like a test run for when governments choose dystopian, oppressive Fascist societies full time.

yeah but fascist societies rely on mass gatherings.

Ferris

What is the material difference between presenting some paper that says "I confirm it's fine" I signed 30mins ago vs saying "I confirm it's fine" right now (other than the 'fine' the coppers give you)?

If anything, the verbal confirmation is more up to date. What about the rural old dears who don't have a printer or any idea what's going on?

This is a civil liberties class action suit waiting to happen.

shiftwork2

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 17, 2020, 12:14:15 AM

I'm sure the forum is absolutely gagging to hear more of the 'Canadian experience' as we only, inexplicably, hear it only every ten posts or so.  Mainly from your ex-pat self.

chveik

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 17, 2020, 12:14:15 AM
What is the material difference between presenting some paper that says %u201CI confirm it%u2019s fine%u201D I signed 30mins ago vs saying %u201CI confirm it%u2019s fine%u201D right now (other than the %u2018fine%u2019 the coppers give you)?

If anything, the verbal confirmation is more up to date. What about the rural old dears who don%u2019t have a printer or any idea what%u2019s going on?

I think the difference is that you have to bother to take some time to write it. but it's just the beginning, I expect they don't want people to panic too much and more severe measures will take place soon. I'm just talking from my perspective, there are accounts on how it works in Italy etc.

you don't need to have a printer, you can write it on a piece of paper.

that's state of urgency for you isn't it, your usual rights don't apply.

Ferris

Quote from: shiftwork2 on March 17, 2020, 12:20:41 AM
I'm sure the forum is absolutely gagging to hear more of the 'Canadian experience' as we only, inexplicably, hear it only every ten posts or so.  Mainly from your ex-pat self.

Write what you know.

Quote from: chveik on March 17, 2020, 12:23:18 AM
I think the difference is that you have to bother to take some time to write it. but it's just the beginning, I expect they don't want people to panic too much and more severe measures will take place soon. I'm just talking from my perspective, there are accounts on how it works in Italy etc.

you don't need to have a printer, you can write it on a piece of paper.

that's state of urgency for you isn't it, your usual rights don't apply.

Seems mad to me but ok

chveik

can't quite believe this is happening tbh

Kryton

Quote from: chveik on March 17, 2020, 12:34:08 AM
can't quite believe this is happening tbh

It's all very sudden isn't it?

Went for a final pint at my local - it was all everyone was talking about. Just us lot laughing, nervously probably. My friend and I (a few months ago) were planning on writing some dystopian fiction, I reminded him of this and we both agreed it'll probably be easier to write a diary.

purlieu

Quote from: bgmnts on March 17, 2020, 12:01:49 AM

Never waste a good crisis, as Curchill once said.
UK fucks it up again - Boris politely suggests all minorities should oppress themselves.

shiftwork2

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 17, 2020, 12:30:07 AM
Write what you know.

It seems it's your bitter ego being fulfilled here.  But we're a broad church so fill your boots.

popcorn

Sin Agog

Canadians are inordinately obsessed with talking about Canada.  Was once at some poncy Frida Kahlo-themed 'Fancy Dress Weekend' at a rich Canadian's pile in the sticks, and he insisted on taking me aside (as a one-time former resident of Canadia) and filling my brain with all the things Canadians have invented.  The only one I can remember is the abdominizer.  Actually, that one might come in handy right now for some of the people with breathing troubles.

Ferris

Quote from: shiftwork2 on March 17, 2020, 12:53:14 AM
It seems it's your bitter ego being fulfilled here.  But we're a broad church so fill your boots.

My bitter ego? For saying that hastily enacted French police powers seem excessive (and likely to face challenges in civil court)? I don't follow, but I'm not interested in the argument if that's ok.

chveik

for the record, I'm just reporting what the measures are and what I think is the reasoning behind them, not justifying them.