Author Topic: University Challenged  (Read 10869 times)

Attila

• gif made by hedgehog90
Re: University Challenged
« Reply #210 on: July 04, 2020, 10:31:46 AM »
Why do I look at uni email at the weekend.

Apparently we're being sent the 'official line' on what we're meant to say about the redundancy threat to prospective students and their parents during out Open Days next week.

So not only am I stressed out about the thought of losing my job and vocation in the new few weeks, I have to cheerfully discuss it with the same set of students I'm meant to be recruiting for the 2021 intake. 'Hey, cool, sure, I know you'd love to study X history with me when you come, but that may well not even be on offer any more after 31st July! ::thumbs up:: '

« Reply #211 on: July 04, 2020, 01:08:46 PM »
Brace yourself for some HR-mandated variant of "we really appreciate your professionalism at this difficult time" ie. don't you fucking dare acknowledge, even obliquely, what a shower of cunts senior management are. Last time I went through this, various HR vermin were in attendance at Open Day to make sure we didn't say anything off-brand to students or parents.

Attila

• gif made by hedgehog90
« Reply #212 on: July 04, 2020, 03:58:58 PM »
No worries - fully expecting that 'thanks for all your help' email -- we were getting that shit alternating with the 'Some of you will have to be let go for the greater good of the university emails. In the original email this week that laid out how many people are up for the chop (and that all of us are on the full list), the VC had the audacity to crow about how we've all been working so hard and what a spectacular amount of effort we put in during the lockdown weeks of the semester, and then through the exam and marking period.

I was talking to my colleague this morning, who's had to update our programme's Open Day PowerPoints as a colleague has already said, 'Fuck this' and resigned. So that's at least four modules on our programme next year that won't be on offer.

And, yep, we've been told that senior management or 'their assistants' may be popping into our Open Day Teams at any time in case students/parents have any questions. Uh huh, thanks.

My dept is putting together a load of documents with numbers and cashflow to show how much money we bring in as a dept with PGR students, MA students, grants (all of which was overlooked in the report they sent us about why the dept has to be slashed) -- it all looks fantastic, but my wager is that senior management will say, 'Sorry, but we can't count that, as it's speculative: the students might drop out, and you may not get the grants. Soz. LOL. &c.'

pancreas

• The islets of Langerhans are the very best islets
« Reply #213 on: July 05, 2020, 11:11:54 AM »
If this were happening in our university we'd be at every entrance handing out leaflets to parents: 'WILL THERE BE ANYONE LEFT TO TEACH YOU NEXT YEAR?'. If they want to carry on like that, then burn it the fuck down [figuratively, of course].

Attila

• gif made by hedgehog90
« Reply #214 on: July 06, 2020, 03:48:41 PM »
Annnnd the email came thing morning thanking us for all of our hard work over the Open Day from a senior manager -- they asked us who worked it to email them and let them know how it went because 'I don't participate in the Virtual Open days, just the ones on campus.'

Dex Sawash

• Silver Member
  • Upph√§ngningspunkterna
« Reply #215 on: July 28, 2020, 06:10:53 PM »

News from the local covidersity

As of right now, UNC-Chapel Hill plans to allow full capacity in dorm buildings. That could mean as many as eight students sharing one suite.     

2 to a room, 8 share a toilet room in the most common housing arrangement.

Duke University is housing at 30% and bought up an entire apartment complex that was just opening for incoming students.

Blue Jam

• TAKE IT FROM ME, I LOVE YOU!
« Reply #216 on: July 29, 2020, 12:46:34 PM »
Been hearing rumours that the British Heart Foundation, Cancer Research UK and other people we rely on for funding are laying people off and downsizing. Getting worried about my job now.

« Reply #217 on: July 30, 2020, 04:11:21 PM »
I haven't been able to access any library facilities for months, the promised 'networking with publishers and agents' also never happened on my MA, but luckily the finance team are so on point they sent a demand today for the £2 which I owe in fees.

Tags: