Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:26:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Unsourced Coronavirus rumours & paranoia

Started by Zero Gravitas, March 16, 2020, 10:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero Gravitas

I like being level headed as much as the next man, but what's the use of a global pandemic that isn't causing waves of terror, panic and anxious sleeplessness?

Quote from: https://hln.be/nieuws/binnenland/spoedarts-uit-aalst-mensen-tussen-30-en-50-jaar-zijn-zwaar-ziek-beelden-van-longen-zijn-angstaanjagend~af5b42b6/
Emergency medic from Aalst:
people between 30 and 50 are severely ill, images of their lungs are terrifying
they all have the same complaint: they've been at home for a week with flu-like symptoms, feel fine for two days after, then they come to the hospital complaining about dry cough and shortness of breath
even though they don't feel sick, their lungs are ravaged by the virus
the lung scans we take, are nothing short of terrifying: their alveoli are filled with 80 to 90% infection fluid that forms a mass that causes scarring
these are fit, young people with no underlying health problems

Quote from: https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20200312/p2g/00m/0na/019000cTOKYO (Kyodo) -- Three Japanese company executives were arrested Wednesday on suspicion of illegally exporting equipment capable of producing biological weapons to China more than three years ago, without obtaining prior approval from trade authorities, police said.

https://youtu.be/WhKu6zRMwJE

Twit 2

Zero Gravitas

You want clean slugs go read a paper of record, freeze some batter while you're at it:

Quote from: https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1179915.shtmlRecent medical research by a hospital in East China's Jiangsu Province found that the novel coronavirus may cause kidney damage and affect young male patients' fertility due to a potential risk it poses to their testicular tissue.

gib

I heard it was like War of the Worlds but with a twist.

pigamus

Lots of people on Twitter seem convinced that Cuba has a vaccine.

buttgammon

Everything in ireland is going to close including supermarkets without warning army on street will kill you if you try to go to Tesco xx

Hearing rumours that an unidentified virus has been seen handing out sweets through the railings of our local primary school.

jobotic

Quote from: gib on March 16, 2020, 10:35:10 PM

The virus will be killed by a common Martian?

rue the polywhirl

I hate the way corona is messing things up. I rang up the Vue cinema and told them I wanted to see the Sonic The Hedgehog movie and they said I had to stay away from the cinema at all costs and self isolate. The weird thing was that this was more than a month ago.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: gib on March 16, 2020, 10:35:10 PM

Corona is best with a lime twist

Head Gardener

phes

My friend is training to be a firefighter. New recruits courses have been cancelled along with in-service training and those further along the line such as my friend have been told the training may well be cut short and they'll be placed at a station to cover sickness. They were presented with some fairly appaling stats on modelled UK deaths which exceed anything I've read and to quote them 'they don't know what they're going to do with the bodies'

They may be trained by a total idiot for all I know, but that's pretty grim stuff to have recounted to you

phes

This probably won't come as much of a surprise as it's common sense, but radiotherapy referrals are currently being examined for cases that can be delayed as departments work out their capability under different staff sickness scenarios.

GMTV

I'm getting WhatsApp messages about the army taking over the streets as of Friday.

Dewt

Crabwalk

Forwarded by a mate on WhatsApp (who doesn't work for the BBC but is not normally prone to rumourmongering):

'Expectation in the BBC newsroom - not confirmed yet - is schools closed from Friday until September. They understand the Telegraph have got it wrong - they are reporting rumours of a 3 week lockdown starting in London on Monday'.

Fucking hope not.

A friend in the civil service recommends buying " essentials" by tomorrow but refuses to elaborate.

I'd like to think we had the essentials already, they are essential after all.

Bit concerning though.

Jasha

Quote from: Emotional Support Peacock on March 18, 2020, 04:30:33 PM
A friend in the civil service recommends buying " essentials" by tomorrow but refuses to elaborate.

I'd like to think we had the essentials already, they are essential after all.

Bit concerning though.

Ration cards are being printed overnight with the army mobilised to police supermarket checkouts

Zetetic

The fucking nonsense that the US and the English are up to with testing materials...

Blinder Data

Quote from: GMTV on March 18, 2020, 03:32:23 PM
I'm getting WhatsApp messages about the army taking over the streets as of Friday.

Posted in main corona thread. Been hearing the same, London the first to be shut down.

QDRPHNC

I don't know how anyone can't agree with that.

jobotic

Quote from: phes on March 17, 2020, 07:36:35 PM
My friend is training to be a firefighter. New recruits courses have been cancelled along with in-service training and those further along the line such as my friend have been told the training may well be cut short and they'll be placed at a station to cover sickness. They were presented with some fairly appaling stats on modelled UK deaths which exceed anything I've read and to quote them 'they don't know what they're going to do with the bodies'

They may be trained by a total idiot for all I know, but that's pretty grim stuff to have recounted to you

It's stuff like that that makes my lose my mind. I need to stay out of this thread

Barry Admin

Quote from: jobotic on March 18, 2020, 05:26:24 PM
It's stuff like that that makes my lose my mind. I need to stay out of this thread

Do you want me to lock you out of this subforum for a bit?

jobotic

I don't think so, I like the shared experience. I'll let you know if I change my mind. Thank you

Kryton

Alright I wasn't going to post this, but since this thread exists (and take this at face value) - A few days ago I was in the pub. A bloke I kind of know tells me his brother or brother-in-law is a fairly high rank in the Greater Manchester police and has been attending lots of critical meetings.
Basically the hospitals are going to be hit very hard in 2-3 weeks. Then after that we're basically going to be losing front-line staff (police, nurses, doctors, care workers, fire services etc) due to infection.
Then they're preparing for food riots in say 4-8 weeks.

That's all he said - but it was pretty harrowing and he's not the guy to make this up.

Could be bollocks, but it's not an impossibility.

gib

World controlled by old people tells younger people to stay inside.

imitationleather

Quote from: Kryton on March 18, 2020, 06:38:06 PM
Could be bollocks, but it's not an impossibility.

It is bollocks, though. There are not going to be "food riots" over this. No deal Brexit is a scarier proposition on that front than this is. I've got nowt against you, Kryton, but you have been the most panicked about this on the forum since it appeared in January. You need to stop believing everything you hear and posting it up as though it's a fact. I'm quite concerned about what it must be like to inhabit your head at the mo because you are clearly very worried.

I've been teaching people in China online daily and they have got through it. They're appallingly bored and have the anxieties and issues of life under lockdown but it's not as bad as these people you know down the pub are saying it's going to be here.

I know this is the unsourced rumours and paranoia thread, but I hope everyone reading is reminding themselves to calm down every so often. The stress is more dangerous than the virus.