Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:14:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Unsourced Coronavirus rumours & paranoia

Started by Zero Gravitas, March 16, 2020, 10:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetetic

purlieu

Quote from: imitationleather on March 18, 2020, 11:47:40 PM
I've been teaching people in China online daily and they have got through it. They're appallingly bored and have the anxieties and issues of life under lockdown but it's not as bad as these people you know down the pub are saying it's going to be here.
I'm absolutely agreeing with your general point, but the British seem to have a stubborn idiocy in the way very few other cultures have. A family friend, in his '80s, is vowing to keep going to the pub while it's still open because he "won't be told what to do". So the China comparison isn't entirely apt.

Rumour-wise, as I posted elsewhere, my partner's brother-in-law is in the army and through that link I'm also led to believe the country will be on lockdown as of next week. Should be fun.

Crabwalk

I've also heard today via a second hand source that a major, orange logo'd supermarket is about to replace most of the booze on its shelves with things that are 'essential to life'. Also mentioned were batteries and lightbulbs as the sort of things to also buy sooner rather than later as they'll be replaced too in their stores.

Might be bollocks, but any excuse to stock up on alcohol.

Kryton

It is bollocks, though. There are not going to be "food riots" over this. No deal Brexit is a scarier proposition on that front than this is. I've got nowt against you, Kryton, but you have been the most panicked about this on the forum since it appeared in January. You need to stop believing everything you hear and posting it up as though it's a fact. I'm quite concerned about what it must be like to inhabit your head at the mo because you are clearly very worried.

I've been teaching people in China online daily and they have got through it. They're appallingly bored and have the anxieties and issues of life under lockdown but it's not as bad as these people you know down the pub are saying it's going to be here.

I know this is the unsourced rumours and paranoia thread, but I hope everyone reading is reminding themselves to calm down every so often. The stress is more dangerous than the virus.

I get what you're saying. I am panicked, not denying it.

I only mentioned it in this thread and this forum. I was wary about posting it, but I did say take it as face value. But I'm not lying about the guy saying it and he's usually sound.
I respect that. I'm ONLY saying what was mentioned. This isn't my opinion. But it's apparently what is at least being prepared, I guess in a worst case scenario.

More likely (my opinion) supply chains will be hit hard but logistical resources (army, volunteers etc) will be pulled to provide support (from manufacturer to storage to transit to store). Factory workers, truck drivers, pickers, loaders, drivers (again) and then stores. Stores closure will be on individual local managerial discretion via Corporate policy until told otherwise.

I think there might be some kind of rationing system implemented short term for the stores that do stay open.

Is that a bit more rational for you?
I've also been posting some funny threads, so it's not all doom and gloom.

If I've been a bit alarmist. I'm sorry.

imitationleather

It's fine, dude. You don't need to apologise.

Replies From View

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on March 16, 2020, 10:18:50 PM
I like being level headed as much as the next man, but what's the use of a global pandemic that isn't causing waves of terror, panic and anxious sleeplessness?

https://youtu.be/WhKu6zRMwJE

QuoteEmergency medic from Aalst:
people between 30 and 50 are severely ill, images of their lungs are terrifying
they all have the same complaint: they've been at home for a week with flu-like symptoms, feel fine for two days after, then they come to the hospital complaining about dry cough and shortness of breath
even though they don't feel sick, their lungs are ravaged by the virus
the lung scans we take, are nothing short of terrifying: their alveoli are filled with 80 to 90% infection fluid that forms a mass that causes scarring
these are fit, young people with no underlying health problems

I really hope this is bollocks because it is scaring me.

Kryton

Quote from: imitationleather on March 19, 2020, 12:10:49 AM
It's fine, dude. You don't need to apologise.

I know, but you've given me a bit of insight of how much I could be causing unneeded worry. I might change my avatar whilst I'm at it.

bgmnts

Cant be flu like symptoms as I was told its nothing like flu.

pigamus

Quote from: bgmnts on March 19, 2020, 01:00:37 AM
Cant be flu like symptoms as I was told its nothing like flu.

It's more like a kind of respiratory infection isn't it? Plus terrible headaches. Doesn't sound gastrointestinal at all - you don't even get the shits

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Replies From View on March 19, 2020, 12:38:34 AM
I really hope this is bollocks because it is scaring me.

Yeah that's the one that started my freakout here.

I'm a lot better today.

Kryton

Jasha

It is bollocks, though. There are not going to be "food riots" over this. No deal Brexit is a scarier proposition on that front than this is. I've got nowt against you, Kryton, but you have been the most panicked about this on the forum since it appeared in January. You need to stop believing everything you hear and posting it up as though it's a fact. I'm quite concerned about what it must be like to inhabit your head at the mo because you are clearly very worried.

I know this is the unsourced rumours and paranoia thread, but I hope everyone reading is reminding themselves to calm down every so often. The stress is more dangerous than the virus.

That's rubbish advice for starting/spreading a rumour