Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:48:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Be honest - how scared are you?

Started by Cerys, March 17, 2020, 12:55:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

?

Fucking terrified - I don't want to die
13 (8.9%)
Fucking terrified - I don't want my elderly loved ones to die
45 (30.8%)
Rational - we can weather this
51 (34.9%)
Looking forward to the peace, quiet and inheritance
10 (6.8%)
Not arsed, cigs
27 (18.5%)

Total Members Voted: 146

Cerys

This is very real, and very unfamiliar.  How are you feeling?

QDRPHNC

With 0 being all this will blow it over these snowflakes just need to run it under a cold tap, and 10 being the basement bit in The Road, I'm at a 3.

shiftwork2

I'm on edge, but that's because I have NHS responsibilities and I'm not sure how those demands may change over the coming months.  If I was a total civilian then I would be cigs.

pigamus

Pseudopath

Keep feeling like I should be taking this seriously (already lost about a grand on a trip to Germany), but really struggling to give a shit.

I have a job that is likely to survive an economic downturn, so honestly 1 out of 10. Regarding the virus itself, I think there is a massive level of overreaction by necessity because causing people to overreact is the only way to get them to take the mild preventative measure of minimizing social contact for a few weeks. But it's not actually the plague.

purlieu

For some time I was feeling ok about it all - providing I don't lose anybody. It's not ideal timing, just as I'm making steps to get back into work, but it's just be a small setback really, and in some ways I was almost looking forward to seeing the recovery take place, finding out what happens after a shakeup like this and maybe even being able to contribute to that.

But this evening I actually became really terrified, because it suddenly dawned on me that this isn't going away by June. Even if the virus dies back a little - and we don't know if it will - without the vaccine everyone is going to be running a risk by doing anything. The direct effects of this could be with us for a year or more. The economy won't survive that and what comes out the other side will be very, very different.

As many of you know, I made an attempt on my life last year, and a major issue with my mental health is loneliness and feeling cut off - living with my parents in my hometown with no friends here, after having had a very busy social life in the past. After that low point I've done everything in my power to recover and get my life back on track, including applying for jobs in Manchester where I have some friends. Not only is that something that will have to go on hold, but I'm scared that it'll have to be on hold for a very long time, without the opportunity to visit friends around the country in the meantime. I'm scared what this will do to my mental health and the recent recovery.

My partner is visiting me at the minute and basically can't go back home, because her parents are both in their 80s and her dad has been in and out of hospital for the past five years with various things. He's very frail, and we're both scared for his safety. We have no idea what we'll do if he's taken ill, as he lives 150 miles away.

I don't deal well with uncertainty. For a while, there was so much talk on lockdowns and such that it seemed likely that two or three weeks without social contact and everything would be solved. But that's not going to be the case, and it really does terrify me.

Zetetic

It's going to be a fairly horrible few months, even just on the edges of the health service proper, I suspect, combined with trying to make "no non-essential travel" meet with my partner, her father and my other all living hundreds of miles away from each other. This'll all probably be fine for me personally, but it might not be.

There's some more, vaguer horribleness likely in the long-term, I think.

Urinal Cake

Health wise- not personally, obviously for elderly family members a lot more
Economically- looks pretty bad for everyone.

Cerys

I'm swinging between being quite laid back about it, fucking terrified, and putting on a facade of strength for the sake of our daughter.  My mum has type 2 diabetes and both she and my dad are in their seventies.  The idea of this thing taking them away just makes me want to howl.

bgmnts

Bit of bollocks really but it breaks up and distracts us from the mind numbing tedium and shitness of our lives.

About a 1 out of 10.

JesusAndYourBush

I'm more worried about society breaking down because of being forced to behave in strange and unnatural ways.
The press are inflaming things with their constant reporting bordering on scaremongering.
Being told to self-isolate for anything from 2 weeks to 4 months has caused panic buying.  That wasn't helpful.  Some people would have self-isolated anyway without being told.  I've seen photos of supermarkets stripped bare like locusts by selfish bastards.  My local Aldi has been pretty much ok, apart from at the weekend where people from the other side of Leeds, not content with stripping their own Aldi bare, came to our local one and stripped that bare too.  People holding a 24-pack of toilet rolls aloft like it's some sort of trophy.  Cunts.

Small Man Big Horse

I'm not scared / terrified of getting ill, but I do worry about my mental health, I'm by nature a very social person and not being able to go to see live comedy / gigs / films / nights out with friends really makes me worry for my sanity, and even worse is that the new Mrs SMBH lives a fair way away with her elderly parents and so I may not see her for a long while, and that is depressing the fuck out of me right now.

Sin Agog

It does feel all of a sudden like the entire world's been given a cancer diagnosis.  Not one of the major organs or anything, but maybe the world's thyroid.

chveik

Quote from: Cerys on March 17, 2020, 12:55:53 AM
This is very real, and very unfamiliar.  How are you feeling?

currently downloading Skyrim.. I hope senselessly killing virtual people will take my mind off things

Quote from: purlieu on March 17, 2020, 01:13:41 AM
I don't deal well with uncertainty. For a while, there was so much talk on lockdowns and such that it seemed likely that two or three weeks without social contact and everything would be solved. But that's not going to be the case, and it really does terrify me.

Actually that almost certainly is going to be the case. The virus itself may be here to stay forever, like influenza, but that is not the reason that businesses are shutting down and people are being asked to quarantine. These extreme measures are necessary because it is a novel virus and there is a great risk if a large number of people become sick at once right at the beginning, such that the hospital system is overwhelmed. This whole response is just to "flatten the curve" of infections, but things will start returning to normal sooner rather than later. (Though in terms of the economy you can't just undo recession-causing events.) Will you possibly be at risk of contracting coronavirus in the future? Maybe, but just like you are with influenza, which could also kill a frail 80+ year old relative if we're being honest. And there is actually a much higher probability of a single effective vaccine for Covid-19 being developed, since it mutates much more slowly.

(And while their government is several orders of magnitude more competent than the U.S./U.K., don't forget that China has basically already got the situation there under control and is starting to ramp up its economy again.)

peanutbutter

I've bought a lot of drugs in the past few days, a lot of them are for future nightclub trips so it'd be a real bummer if this kept on forever.

Kryton

Somewhere between terrified, excited and depressed.

Kryton

If I didn't have a kid, I'd be cigs, arsed mate. Play CK2 and Rocket league and wait for it all to blow over.
With a kid, I'm thinking of how quickly I could kill cripple a heavier man should it come to it blows over some pasta?

Barry Admin

Was absolutely shiteing it earlier and had a panic attack. It just got very real and hit me a lot harder than it has done so far. My Mum telling me we'd have to cancel Mother's Day Dinner - plus the live BoJo press conference - shit me up. Also just not knowing when I'll see my Mum again, and her working at a hospital where they're bringing the victims... Yikes. She said she'd have to keep her distance as I'm vulnerable; I said that she was more vulnerable and she asked how, so I told her, and she just replied with "lol."

A large group of kids stood in broad daylight, smashing the fuck out of the bus shelter, then came back later to have another run at it. That made things feel a bit more apocalyptic, even though it's not a massively uncommon occurrence anyway. Then I put the bins out and wondered if they would even be emptied tomorrow. I haven't had a haircut since November and it really needs done. All these odd changes in circumstances occur to you.

Johnny Yesno

I've been feeling a constant low level anxiety for about a week now but having some angry geezer threaten to smash my face in while I was at a cashpoint today, followed by shopping at a hugely depleted supermarket, has got me pretty rattled.

EbbyVale

Wavering between 2 and 8. It's all backwards here—we're awash in aftermath shock and frozen stillness and shutdowns but we haven't had the storm yet. University's sent us all home, I'm locked down with a touch of not-corona, and I'm figuring out what to do about students who work for me.

And it's so completely improbable that I run out of belief occasionally and forget that it's real. Good times.

Kryton

I guess we're at least living observers of how fucked a society can get when shit hits the fan.
The great thing about this is that the Tory voters will feel this and for once they'll get a taste of the shitty stick.
And they'll beg for a better society.
But they'll die like the rest of us.
Bog rolls.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on March 17, 2020, 02:37:18 AM
I've been feeling a constant low level anxiety for about a week now but having some angry geezer threaten to smash my face in while I was at a cashpoint today, followed by shopping at a hugely depleted supermarket, has got me pretty rattled.

Why was that cunt giving you aggro? Not cool.

Sheffield Wednesday

I've not been scared as such, but I have been stressed by how people have reacted when I've explained the situation in Wuhan. I've been telling friends, family, colleagues for about two months and explaining that this would be on our doorstep. My wife listened and joined me in getting ready for this but generally, polite nods all round, eyes glazed over. When I explained that I'd advise them to prepare for lockdown, they laughed like I was joking and then got irritated when I explained that I meant it. That's a type of frustration I've not felt before and while it's not important now in the grand scheme of things, I've found that annoying at times.

There have been many occasions where people have made a big deal out of something very trivial and they then expect me to give it my full time and attention, and I've thought, this is insane. It doesn't feel good to be right, necessarily, but it's a comfort to me that I wasn't actually losing perspective and that what I thought would happen is now happening. A number of people have come up to me at work now asking about friends in Wuhan and what has been their experience. I'm happy to share details but it's effectively too late.

How long ago was it on this forum that a small handful were still trying to handwave the severity of the situation and claim that we should reject lockdown from a political stance? That type of contrarianism is symptomatic of a larger individualist problem in society. Some people refuse to be informed even when they are wrong, as it poses a threat to their identity. You can only hope that they survive through pure dumb luck.

Rev+

Not scared in the slightest about the virus for I am NAILS, just a little worried about what we'll do to each other.  Panic buying is an act of aggression.

Saw a glorious sight in Sainsbury's today.  Freezer aisle: on one side you've got potato smilies, waffles and doodads, and on the other frozen vegetables.  One side completely cleaned out, the other bountiful.  Hemel Hempstead remains Hemel Hempstead.

H-O-W-L

I'm in self-iso and having super limited times on when I can do shit (night time, when my elderly parents aren't around, since I moved back in with them after dear mam had a hospital scare) has me super fucking miserable. Not even panicky, just feeling awash and helpless and glum. It's weird, too, because I was living the NEET life back in 2014 and did the same shit and didn't care, but now I'm all fucked up about it, even though I've got a week off work.

phes

I am very concerned. The (my) grandparent generation of my family is now long gone, but all of the elders are now 65-70 and live at least a few hours from me in the UK, or in Spain. I had largely avoided the family WhatsApp group as they didn't grasp the seriousness of this and I didn't want to continue to be that stressy, deranged guy telling the elderly to stop posting shit memes and go out and at least buy some dried goods straight away. My father and his wife live in a tiny, very Spanish town in the hills. Things run day-to-day and locals are extremely social, eating out every day and picking up supplies as and when needed from a broad range of vendors. Several days ago was the first day in 20 years the Spanish contingent had not been out into town for breakfast. The next day folks were queuing around the block for bread. Now they're locked down and there are no more jokes in the WhatsApp group. Locals sit on their rooftops to applaud and gee-up the returning healthcare workers. Members of the orchestra play for their neighbours each night. It's only been a few days.

My brother is only in his 30s but is obese. His breathing is awful due to his weight.

In one week I begin my first job in an NHS profession I've been training for the last few years. I was already nervous; a new town, new department, new staff, new machines, new techniques, new responsibilities. Added to this is now whatever additional pressures Covid-19 will bring and how this will impact the preceptorship period.

So yeah, on a scale of how worried I've been about life generally, this is high. I'm worried for my relatives and very nervous about starting a new job in circumstances that could deteriorate rapidly

Worried about me getting sick, not so much thinking about that

jobotic

Just terrified. Of the virus killing my parents, but also now of the collapse of everything. How do I look after my children when we have no home or jobs or schools or anything? And not just us, everyone? How will things be normal again?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: QDRPHNC on March 17, 2020, 12:59:35 AM
With 0 being all this will blow it over these snowflakes just need to run it under a cold tap, and 10 being the basement bit in The Road, I'm at a 3.

Ramped up to 10

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(20)30116-8/fulltext