Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:15:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Be honest - how scared are you?

Started by Cerys, March 17, 2020, 12:55:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

?

Fucking terrified - I don't want to die
13 (8.9%)
Fucking terrified - I don't want my elderly loved ones to die
45 (30.8%)
Rational - we can weather this
51 (34.9%)
Looking forward to the peace, quiet and inheritance
10 (6.8%)
Not arsed, cigs
27 (18.5%)

Total Members Voted: 146

Glebe

I'm fucking terrified, tbh. But you have to fight through the trauma and get busy keeping happy.

New page terrified twat.

Cerys

Quote from: Barry Admin on March 17, 2020, 12:02:47 PM
I'm really glad you started this thread Cerys.  Yesterday I made a brief post about how I was shiteing it, just as I was starting to go into a bit of an anxiety tailspin, but quickly removed it as I felt it was unhelpful and irresponsible.  Having this thread to talk honestly about how it's affecting people is actually really helpful, I feel.  As Buelligan said, sometimes you need a cry, and it's true also that sometimes you need to talk about scary shit so it loses some of its power. 

Plus the fourth poll option gave me a good laugh.

Glad to be of service!  I'd be lying, though, if I pretended I started the thread for purely selfless reasons.  Seeing other people being rational is a confidence booster.

I'm scared that all the great local businesses that were a motivation in moving to my new hometown for are going to go down the shitter. With the money I'm saving on train tickets by working from home I could afford to splash the cash to help out, but there's only so many calories one man can consume...

Dewt

I reckon my dad is done for. He's been spending his time in hospital with his wife who has recently fallen ill. After a CAT scan they found large spots on her liver. "It is looking as though that it is going to be difficult for her to survive this.". He has been in the hospital with severe prostate problems, they're both sick as hell and definitely exposed to the virus. "I find it really funny that I have wanted to self isolate all my life and now it is being forced onto us!". It's sad.

On the other side of things, my mother has been emailing me talking about how they're running out of food. She's always had bad symptoms when she gets ill. She works in a prison. Even if she survives, she works for fucking A4E, so she's not going to survive any kind of economic collapse.

Good chance this virus orphans me up. Riiight up. A good old orphaning for me.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Dewt on March 17, 2020, 04:56:26 PM
I reckon my dad is done for. He's been spending his time in hospital with his wife who has recently fallen ill. After a CAT scan they found large spots on her liver. "It is looking as though that it is going to be difficult for her to survive this.". He has been in the hospital with severe prostate problems, they're both sick as hell and definitely exposed to the virus. "I find it really funny that I have wanted to self isolate all my life and now it is being forced onto us!". It's sad.

On the other side of things, my mother has been emailing me talking about how they're running out of food. She's always had bad symptoms when she gets ill. She works in a prison. Even if she survives, she works for fucking A4E, so she's not going to survive any kind of economic collapse.

Jesus. What to say, Dewt? Godspeed to your olds. Hope they survive this wanky apocalypse.

Quote from: Dewt on March 17, 2020, 04:56:26 PM

Even if your parents are elderly and have significant comorbidities (which it's not clear that they do from what you've posted), and even if they were to have Covid-19 injected directly into their throats by a deranged nursing aid wearing Joker makeup, the odds of them dying are still very low. This is a relatively mild virus, not anthrax.

TrenterPercenter

Personally not terrified at all - been told I could be redeployed to assist in "any way demand requires" with the crisis by the hospital I work for (I actually worked in a lab for the swine flu epidemic).  I would jump at the chance to be able to help out and have suggested such to my line manager.

For my cancer remissioned CKD dad, terrified, there is absolutely no way that old git is going to self isolate.

My other half is likely to be unemployed for the foreseable as well which is going to be tricky.

Over all though no, let me at the cunt! Just not happy about the morons that are leading us.

Dewt

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on March 17, 2020, 05:06:54 PM
Even if your parents are elderly and have significant comorbidities (which it's not clear that they do from what you've posted), and even if they were to have Covid-19 injected directly into their throats by a deranged nursing aid wearing Joker makeup, the odds of them dying are still very low. This is a relatively mild virus, not anthrax.
When both of my parents die and prove you wrong, I'll be the one laughing!

jobotic

Bloody hell you lot, best wishes to you and yours.

Danger Man

Quote from: Dewt on March 17, 2020, 05:16:34 PM
When both of my parents die and prove you wrong, I'll be the one laughing!

My mum died a few weeks ago and I'm still chuckling.....

but....

this virus is going to grind my inheritance to a halt.

earl_sleek

About 5/10. I'm only 36, but a trifle tubby, have type 2 diabetes and am on immune-suppressing drugs for arthritis (though wouldn't be surprised if they take me off those for a while). More worried about my parents, who are both over 70, with type 2 diabetes, and my dad still isn't fully recovered from a prostate removal last year. Looks like both me and them might have to self isolate, and I dunno how I'm gonna cope with that.
Also stressed as I run supported living services for people with learning disabilities. Some of them are struggling to cope with the disruption, and others have underlying health conditions as well. I can work from home, but my teams can't - they seem to be dealing with it pretty well, but it must be worrying for them. Fortunately our employer is paying everyone full sick pay from the first day of absence, so that's one thing they don't have to worry about; I know not all providers are doing this.

purlieu

Quote from: Emotional Support Peacock on March 17, 2020, 04:55:49 PM
I'm scared that all the great local businesses that were a motivation in moving to my new hometown for are going to go down the shitter. With the money I'm saving on train tickets by working from home I could afford to splash the cash to help out, but there's only so many calories one man can consume...
Ask if they do gift vouchers. Treat yourself down the line when the worst of this has blown over.

All the best to you and your parents, Dewt. Hoping they get through ok.

Barry Admin

Right, fucking hell.  Just had a chat with people I know who work in hospitals here, and it doesn't sound good.  I guess I'll spoiler this in case you want to avoid it:

Spoiler alert
For starters, they're so short-staffed that people are being taken off normal wards and asked to go and work in Covid wards, and are being told/reminded that they're absolutely not allowed to refuse if they're told to do something.  The other main thing I remember is that they're getting ready for the entire hospital to be full of Coronovirus victims.  Every single ward. The top brass are all shiteing themselves and don't know how they're going to cope, but they're all getting ready to pitch in themselves.  The nurses are all running very short on basic medical stuff such as wipes and masks. 

Nurses and such might be told to go to and from work wearing scrubs.

Within two to three weeks it's predicted there will be thousands of infected people here.
[close]

Yeah, best wishes to everyone here. We'll see what happens when it does, eh?

Buelligan

I have a friend who's a nursing sister in the south, she's been retraining as a midwife and has been asked to consider volunteering to return to the wards.  I think there's a fair bit of concern about capacity about.

When we get to the other side of this, let's promise never to let any cunt tell us tax cuts are worth healthcare "efficiencies", ever, ever, again.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Barry Admin on March 17, 2020, 05:47:52 PM
Right, fucking hell.  Just had a chat with people I know who work in hospitals here, and it doesn't sound good.  I guess I'll spoiler this in case you want to avoid it:

Spoiler alert
For starters, they're so short-staffed that people are being taken off normal wards and asked to go and work in Covid wards, and are being told/reminded that they're absolutely not allowed to refuse if they're told to do something.  The other main thing I remember is that they're getting ready for the entire hospital to be full of Coronovirus victims.  Every single ward. The top brass are all shiteing themselves and don't know how they're going to cope, but they're all getting ready to pitch in themselves.  The nurses are all running very short on basic medical stuff such as wipes and masks. 

Within two to three weeks it's predicted there will be thousands of infected people here.
[close]

Blimus. That's terrifying. Please stay safe everybody.

Barry Admin

Oh another thing, this person - this older friend of mine who is in a vulnerable group - pointed out this fact when it was mentioned that they'd have to go and work directly with these patients.  They were then told that everyone knows someone who will be infected and who will be vulnerable, and some of the nurses have kids and older relatives etc.  I roared with indignation at this and pointed out that it's not the same thing at all; that kids are evidently not affected by it, and that front-line people like my friend are the people it is fucking killing. 

So nurses - who are at the age where they're receiving pension but still working - are having to work directly on Coronoavirus wards already. 

Sin Agog

This is exactly why we should pressgang young children into being our nurses and doctors and radiologists.  We wouldn't even have to bother wasting masks on them.

Twit 2

11/10

Caught myself larding up my children's rumps in case I have to eat them.

Cerys

Don't forget the garlic. If you insert points of it under their skin they'll naturally marinate themselves during their everyday activities.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 17, 2020, 02:49:06 PM
Thank you

You're welcome. Of course if you disagree with the post feel free to expand on why.

My post wasn't an appeal to authority, it was an appeal to reason. Of course you'll have noticed I set the threshold at basic human psychology, not expert.

Isn't the general idea that we will share our views and disagreements on this forum thing? Why not do that rather than get your knickers in a twist.

Ferris

Don't you see? This infighting is what the virus wants!

The war's out there, man!

In order to fight the virus out there, we must first fight and eradicate the virus that lives in here (*gestures towards heart*) the virus of hatred

Zetetic

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 17, 2020, 02:49:06 PM
(and epidemiology, and whatever else you've been pontificating about)
In fairness, to S?S! he's mostly just been noting that:
- Confirmed cases aren't the same as infections.
- Confirmed cases aren't a bias-free sample of infections, but are weighted towards the more severely unwell.

Which are both very sensible to things to point out, and things that - apparently - more people need to get to grips with.

massive bereavement

At least three members of staff at my kids' school are at home isolating. Two children have been sent home.

Felt a burning sensation in my upper chest area all afternoon and was coughing more frequently, Feel fine now though. Quite fancied a tin of spaghetti for my tea but thought I'd better hold on to the tins for as long as possible, had a slice of toast instead.

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: Buelligan on March 17, 2020, 05:57:31 PM
I have a friend who's a nursing sister in the south, she's been retraining as a midwife and has been asked to consider volunteering to return to the wards.  I think there's a fair bit of concern about capacity about.

When we get to the other side of this, let's promise never to let any cunt tell us tax cuts are worth healthcare "efficiencies", ever, ever, again.
If there is any degree of sanity at all in the world, things will have to change once all this is done with.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Barry Admin on March 17, 2020, 05:47:52 PM

Spoiler alert

[close]

We have our emergency meeting tomorrow so likely we are going to be told the same.  I hope people remember this the next time the government decides to fuck with our pay and pensions as they did 10 years ago.

Jasha

Quote from: Sin Agog on March 17, 2020, 06:19:00 PM
This is exactly why we should pressgang young children into being our nurses and doctors and radiologists.  We wouldn't even have to bother wasting masks on them.

If their idea of doctors and nurses is anything like mine was as an 8 year old...

EbbyVale

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on March 17, 2020, 08:02:45 PM
In order to fight the virus out there, we must first fight and eradicate the virus that lives in here (*gestures towards heart*) the virus of hatred

E.T.?

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Current feeling...

Still, its what we train for. Just we can barely cope at the best of times.

Can see us running out of PPE and having to make unpleasant decisions about resuscitating people as there won't be space for them in ITU.