Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:49:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Be honest - how scared are you?

Started by Cerys, March 17, 2020, 12:55:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

?

Fucking terrified - I don't want to die
13 (8.9%)
Fucking terrified - I don't want my elderly loved ones to die
45 (30.8%)
Rational - we can weather this
51 (34.9%)
Looking forward to the peace, quiet and inheritance
10 (6.8%)
Not arsed, cigs
27 (18.5%)

Total Members Voted: 146

Another NHS worker here. Though I work in Mental Health it seems like we are being prepped to have to work on wards. There's no clarity currently on whether this will be Mental Health facilities or main hospitals.

My fear levels are operating at 5/10. Certainly I feel psychosomatic symptoms associated with stress and worry. I have an ear infection which is annoying me a great deal.

A note on Mental Health, it appears to be the case the we will have to notify our current caseload that their treatment will be postponed. This will be in favour of attempting to team hold entire waitlists with the priority given to the most severe cases. This sounds pretty shitty for those that might feel abandoned if their therapist is no longer available. Like all industries the top brass are having to make it up as we go.

Zetetic

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on March 17, 2020, 01:39:02 AM
Actually that almost certainly is going to be the case. .. This whole response is just to "flatten the curve" of infections, but things will start returning to normal sooner rather than later.
It is not clear than two or three weeks is going to achieve this to a meaningful degree. We're probably looking at months of similar measures if want to get the bump to something half-way tolerable.

(And while their government is several orders of magnitude more competent than the U.S./U.K., don't forget that China has basically already got the situation there under control and is starting to ramp up its economy again.)
This is an extremely optimistic reading of the situation in China and its long-term measures.

Buelligan

I'm pretty much at 0.  I'm as organised as I can be and coming through the other side of the infection, so pretty sure this bullet doesn't have my name on it. 

Sure, I could well lose my jobs, that could impact on my right to remain after Brexit but I can't worry about that right now.  It will change absolutely nothing.

I worry about my beloved brother, he is my soul's companion, he has MS and is currently on a new drug, a drug which you only take once a year and completely blanks your immune system.  He took his last dose last autumn, so it's not like he can get off it any time soon.  He also has severely compromised lung function as a result of his illness.  He lives as remotely as I do, more.  But I got it.  I cannot abide the thought that he might suffer and die, alone, without me to protect and comfort him.  But then I remember, he has no immune system, and still he's lived like that.  Lived in the face of all the other horrible little infections that carry people off without a by or leave every fucking day, he's survived this far and I have hope that this too will pass, at least for him.  And I understand, even if it doesn't, I can do nothing about it except love him and be his friend.

I'm hoping people who've passed through will have immunity at least for a bit.  I'm hoping this will make it possible for people like me, who've gone through, to register to support our communities when and if needed.

H-O-W-L

It's all very Deus Ex. I'm at about a 7.

bomb_dog

4/10, but this doesn't stop me refreshing this place and the news like a bastard.

Beagle 2

Yeah, shitting it. I was shitting it anyway about having another baby, but now, well. My job's very insecure. My wife's is okay though I think, which is something.

I don't trust the government, I think they'll leave millions in the shit, people will have no choice but to ignore advice, spread the virus and steal/smash shit up.

ZoyzaSorris

Not scared of the virus itself (like Bosto quite keen to get it asap if the extremely madly intense illness I had a few weeks back wasn't it), except for my in-laws who are both in their seventies and have health problems (and one has just had open heart surgery). Luckily they are taking self-isolation very seriously.

Like I imagine most here, now finally actually genuinely uncharacteristically concerned with the wider ramifications on an already fragile and devastated economy and social system though, after some initial cynical nonchalance.

My wife and I are both self-employed and realistically looking at no income for a few months minimum with zero compensation. Thankfully we could probably scrape enough together to last 5-6 months before we actually start running into real life-critical financial trouble but at the moment it's just not clear how long this is going to be at complete shutdown or even if it lifts a little whether the return to a relatively normal work-getting situation will take a year or more (given we were on the brink of recession anyway and also have Brexit to deal with on top of everything). Genuinely seeing a possible situation where at some point we start struggling to pay our mortgage, and we are pretty prepared savings-wise and so on. Hopefully some way off and still relatively unlikely.

Luckily if all remains well (a big if) I'm supposedly due to start a relatively safe-ish public sector job in early autumn which if my wife can't get any work might bring in just enough money to keep the household barely afloat, provided we cut down every bit of non-essential expenditure. If that falls through I really will be existentially worried for the future of my family!

Of course there's wider worries about general collapse of businesses, the health system, social fabric of local communities and their facilities like pubs and so on, crumbling law and order.

Kind of also perversely curious and excitable about being in the midst of an epochal event though.

jobotic

Local authorities won't surviveba year of this.

There are those in power who will be determined that a lot of what we lose for now we never get back.

Replies From View

Just read something about the high level of people who have been fit, healthy and 40 or under now struggling to breathe in hospital with this virus, which has raised my worry a tinsy bit.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Not scared of the virus or for myself, concerned for others.

Also concerned that the tactics haven't been more focused on the at risk categories.

Generally concerned where the state of our infrastructure and economy will be by summer, but more focused on loved ones right now.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Replies From View on March 17, 2020, 07:46:39 AM
Just read something about the high level of people who have been fit, healthy and 40 or under now struggling to breathe in hospital with this virus, which has raised my worry a tinsy bit.

Source for that please? What is 'high level'?

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Sin Agog on March 17, 2020, 01:38:29 AM
It does feel all of a sudden like the entire world's been given a cancer diagnosis.  Not one of the major organs or anything, but maybe the world's thyroid.

Oh, the incurable one? Cheers.

kittens

currently at an ice cool zero. it's going to be fine and over in a few weeks. the exit poll is wrong

phes

I'm finding it difficult to deal with people who are not scared of this, which I'm not sure is a very healthy thing from my perspective. My cousin was joking about how fun it would be getting stuck in Austria on a skiing trip. Obviously she never even made it to the airport. A woman I'm seeing is off to Democratic Republic of Congo on Thursday to irritate some pangolins and ring some birds or somesuch for a few months. Seems relatively unconcerned. Is that a better option, in a collection of huts in the middle of the jungle in Congo, or is that a waaaaaay worse option?

Replies From View

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 17, 2020, 07:49:28 AM

It was this (sorry I can't easily undo the "apple news" linkage):  https://apple.news/AvoAOzN00QgCMkloQJxPvyw

Not "high level" necessarily but it feels like there are so many unknowns about this that it periodically gets scarier from day to day.

Fambo Number Mive

At an 8 or 9. Worried about my financial situation, people I know with medical issues and the country as a whole. Every time I get on the bus to go to work, even though I wash my hands several times a day and santisie my hands before getting on and off the bus, it is scary.

I feel selfish saying this but the biggest boost to my mental health is hiking by myself but given that we need to avoid the transport network unless essential I can't do this anymore and have to restrict myself local walks.

Replies From View

Also yesterday I learned of one of the teachers at my school going on holiday in Italy, coming straight back to work (y'know - at a school where the concentration of children and adults is constantly about as high as theatres and music venues that have already closed recently) - worked for a few days and is now off sick.

Things like that, really.

Zetetic

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 17, 2020, 07:49:28 AM
We we're seeing quite low median ages amongst ICU admissions being bandied around (50, 65) but that might be sensible prioritisation of the most likely to recover as much as anything.

vanilla.coffee

If a member of your family should die whilst in the shelter, put them outside - but remember to tag them first for identification purposes.

Alberon

I'm at the concerned level. I'm actually on holiday on the south coast. We rented an apartment and anti-bac it when we arrived as best we could. We're mostly avoiding pubs and restaurants, and instead self-catering and going for walks, but that was the plan anyway.

I'm more concerned for my mum and in-laws. My mum has so far refused my offers to shop for her, but when I get back in a couple of days I'll demand to do it. As to self-isolating I have no problem with doing that for months if necessary but Mrs Alberon would probably be climbing the walls in a week.

batwings

I'm ok during the day but this whole thing is playing havoc with my insomnia. Mostly too tired to feel worried when i'm up but also too worried to sleep properly of a night.

Butchers Blind

GMTV

I've struggled with health anxiety for about 25 years, but I'm alright about this. I feel fairly confident that I'll be alright against it (famous last words).

Slightly apprehensive thinking about parents, elderly relatives as statistically it's likely someone I know and love will be seriously ill as a result of this.

The feeling I've got is like I've got a deadline in work, projects due in on Friday and i've a shit ton of work to do. Slightly excitable nervous apprehension rather than an anxiety.

This probably sounds incredibly trite, but if anyone's unfamiliar with health anxiety it's absolutely OK to feel fear about this situation, it's a perfectly natural response.

Emma Raducanu

I'm currently at about 2 but understand that could ratchet right up at any moment.

It has definitely affected my partner a lot; she could no longer commute to sussex uni and they only just went online yesterday; she pulled our child out of school last week, she had to cancel her Easter holiday abroad to be with her parents, she goes out wearing a mask and crashed our car because she was stressed about everything.

Meanwhile, I'm still just going to work and we're busy as fuck. The next couple of days, I'm on holiday and apart from the fact I'll be playing hungry hippos instead of masturbating and watching CYE, nothing has really happened yet. I made a lovely chicken pie for dinner yesterday.

The first thing I'm nervous of is my job. I've worked at the same place for about 8 years, I'm really happy there, earn a decentish wage and have saved for the past 5 years. I was looking forward to paying off my mortgage before turning 40. I'm guessing by the time I'm 40 instead I'll be on the streets.

vainsharpdad

I am fat with high BP an elderly Dad, a diabetic wife and 2 kids - so that's about a 7.

But I work in IT, can WFH easily and have just bought Hitman 1 & 2 to play on the Xbox - so that's about a 2.

So 9/20 = 4.5, I reckon

jobotic

Just burst into tears talking to a colleague about this. FFS. I'm like a toddler who wants to see his mum.

Buelligan

Maybe you need a big cry.  I think it can be a sort of chemical release.  I had one, about a week ago when I was feeling quite weak and it made me feel a whole lot better.  Anyway, have a huge hug from a faux-mum to tide you over old lad.  We'll be right.

jobotic

Thank you.

I think you're right, just don't want to do it in front of colleagues or my kids! Reckon I will after I speak to my dad tonight, who is 72 and a pessimistic worrier like me.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Replies From View on March 17, 2020, 08:00:05 AM
It was this (sorry I can't easily undo the "apple news" linkage):  https://apple.news/AvoAOzN00QgCMkloQJxPvyw

Not "high level" necessarily but it feels like there are so many unknowns about this that it periodically gets scarier from day to day.

Hence a duty to keep sensationalism/exaggeration to a minimum.