Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:32:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Be honest - how scared are you?

Started by Cerys, March 17, 2020, 12:55:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

?

Fucking terrified - I don't want to die
13 (8.9%)
Fucking terrified - I don't want my elderly loved ones to die
45 (30.8%)
Rational - we can weather this
51 (34.9%)
Looking forward to the peace, quiet and inheritance
10 (6.8%)
Not arsed, cigs
27 (18.5%)

Total Members Voted: 146

massive bereavement

Zetetic

Quote from: massive bereavement on March 23, 2020, 10:02:18 PM
People keep talking about this being the most difficult situation since 1945, but I still think I'd have struggled a lot worse with the Cuban missile crisis in 1962.
Depends where in 1945.

massive bereavement

Quote from: Zetetic on March 23, 2020, 10:42:10 PM
Depends where in 1945.

Winter 1947 in the UK doesn't sound much fun either. Still under rationing, long power cuts, food shortages and football cancelled, went on for months but it wouldn't have been big enough to cast a shadow over something so recent as the war.

Then of course you've got the 1970s with kids being chased by celebrity pedos in Nosey bonk masks at Benny Hill chase scene speeds every time you came home from school.

Alberon

At the back of my mind while watching Johnson's address tonight was how it all sounded like a scene from an apocalyptic TV show or film where some second rate actor playing the PM announces the end of the world (which to be fair is mostly what we got).

It's easy to get caught up in the panic, but things aren't as bad as WWII or fears of imminent nuclear destruction. Supermarket shelves won't be as full as we'd like, but we won't starve. To be very blunt for a moment - most of us won't die of this, though we probably will know of someone who does.

Sitting out in the garden in the warm sunshine today it was easy to put all that behind me, but the fact that I'm going to be largely stuck at home for the next three weeks at the very least has depressed me a bit.

Of course, the real hardship will be after the Coronavirus has been mostly tamed with a vaccine. Another ten years of austerity to come to pay back all the money the government is splurging.

Cerys

I've been banned from going out, apart from maybe to do some gardening.  So of course all I want to do now is take a trundle into town to see how quiet everything is.

I won't, obviously.  That would be bloody stupid.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quotethough we probably will know of someone who does.

Perhaps. Even Italy for example looks unlikely to suffer more than 100,000 deaths. That would be 1 in 600 people.

Most of us might know someone who knows someone has died.

Buelligan

That's not how it works.  Rain doesn't always fall on strangers, even if it has up to now.  That's a useful lesson to take on board before you get soaked.

good times

Mainly scared of a lot of people (including myself) losing their jobs to be honest, and the ensuing social meltdown.

Fairly worried for my dad, who is 70+, but trust he will be sensible and adhere to all advice (and hope the people he knows are also sensible)

Occasionally fear catching it myself, but have to hope if I do I'll just get mild symptoms. My partner is a teacher and has to go in to look after (I'm not going to say 'teach' as the whole set-up sounds fairly farcical) the children of key workers twice a week (including the Easter hols) so that will be our pipeline into the virus.

cincoveces05

I'm an NHS worker who lives with my parents (Mum with COPD, Dad with Diabetes). 

I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown last week, refusing to go into the house and sleeping in the garage.  I've now moved into hospital accommodation so feeling much better, still ringing my parents twice a day though.

Only problem is my boss is basically using it as an excuse to have me work extra hours because i'm here anyway. Getting blind drunk tonight so i've an excuse not to go in tomorrow!

gib

Quote from: Alberon on March 23, 2020, 10:52:07 PM
At the back of my mind while watching Johnson's address tonight was how it all sounded like a scene from an apocalyptic TV show or film where some second rate actor playing the PM announces the end of the world (which to be fair is mostly what we got).

It's easy to get caught up in the panic, but things aren't as bad as WWII or fears of imminent nuclear destruction. Supermarket shelves won't be as full as we'd like, but we won't starve. To be very blunt for a moment - most of us won't die of this, though we probably will know of someone who does.

Sitting out in the garden in the warm sunshine today it was easy to put all that behind me, but the fact that I'm going to be largely stuck at home for the next three weeks at the very least has depressed me a bit.

Of course, the real hardship will be after the Coronavirus has been mostly tamed with a vaccine. Another ten years of austerity to come to pay back all the money the government is splurging.

We've got a little garden and it was lovely to get out today and do some tidying and stuff. But virtually all the new builds round here are flats, god knows what those people will do when the inevitable heatwave kicks in

poo

Quote from: cincoveces05 on March 25, 2020, 10:16:48 PM

I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown last week, refusing to go into the house and sleeping in the garage.  I've now moved into hospital accommodation so feeling much better, still ringing my parents twice a day though.

Only problem is my boss is basically using it as an excuse to have me work extra hours because i'm here anyway. Getting blind drunk tonight so i've an excuse not to go in tomorrow!

Tough situation. Appreciate what you're doing.

cincoveces05

Quote from: poo on March 25, 2020, 11:09:17 PM
Tough situation. Appreciate what you're doing.

Should probably point out that tomorrow is my day off.

holyzombiejesus

I got a little bit more scared tonight as just found out that both my mum and sister (who live next door to each other) have apparently got it. I say apparently as it was my 70 year old mum who told me and she also mentioned in the same conversation how she'd climbed over a deceased relative's garden fence to check on their house. She also sounded fine and said she'd just had it at the weekend. She said she drank lots of vinegar and that made her better. In fact, she was more concerned about whether it was feasible to cut my step-dad's hair using the dog's clippers. This is the same mum that doesn't believe in adolescence and thinks the guy out of Sherlock is called Bernard Cumberland.

My sister's one of those vainglorious scumbags who works for the NHfuckingS and has been sent home for 3 months, according to mother.

Psmith

Quote from: cincoveces05 on March 25, 2020, 10:16:48 PM

Sorry I can't give you any practical help but THANKYOU VERY MUCH.And I hope you keep well.:)

Cerys

chocky909

Very similar boat here to cinco. I'm travelling into St. Thomas' Hospital every day on public transport to work in my Microbiology lab. We're handling Covid patient's samples almost exclusively at this point but I'm actually more worried about picking up the virus from one of my colleagues. At the moment there seems to be virtually no effort made to clean keyboards, mice, door handles, taps or equipment at any interval. Everything is based around exposure to the samples which is also probably not ideal. I'm quite scared that I will make my dad sick because I live with him in a small flat. To be fair at 63 he is probably fitter than me, an overweight 41 year old but he did have Pneumonia a few years back and it may have damaged his lungs. I feel like moving in with my gf for a few months until the first wave has died down would be a good idea but she is currently in isolation from a nasty flu type thing/suspected Corona Virus so I'm having to avoid her right now. I really don't want to look back on this moment though as the time I should've done something decisive to avoid me or my dad getting sick at such a dangerous time. My psoriasis is flaring up something rotten and I'm trying to be healthy in preparation for a nasty bout of something awful but I'm also comfort eating as usual in between. My mum is a worry too. She's had breast cancer twice and it's wiped her out. I doubt she'll survive if she catches it.

Anyway, please tell me how awesome I am for being an NHS worker even though it's entirely involuntary. I'll take what I can right now.

It's not all bad though. My family and I are financially secure enough compared to many others out there. I think my job is safe for the foreseeable future.

Cerys

I didn't know we had so many amazing people in this place.  I thought it was all artsy-fartsy comedy bald literomuso types.  Turns out there are some pretty damn epic people here who won't be first against the wall when the revolution comes.

Ferris

Quote from: Cerys on March 26, 2020, 02:57:51 AM
I didn't know we had so many amazing people in this place.  I thought it was all artsy-fartsy comedy bald literomuso types.  Turns out there are some pretty damn epic people here who won't be first against the wall when the revolution comes.

Thanks, appreciate that.

Bence Fekete

You are incredible people doing an impossible task.

The personal sacrifices you must be making every day to save us all are unfathomable.

We owe you everything right now.

Thank you.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteTo be fair at 63 he is probably fitter than me, an overweight 41 year old but he did have Pneumonia a few years back and it may have damaged his lungs.

Argh yep jesus get him/you out of there

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Bence Fekete on March 26, 2020, 06:28:10 AM
You are incredible people doing an impossible task.

The personal sacrifices you must be making every day to save us all are unfathomable.

We owe you everything right now.

Thank you.

But once this is over - BACK TO BEING BALD PHIMOTIC SCUM - GOT IT?!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 26, 2020, 03:28:58 AM
Thanks, appreciate that.

How's the offshore ferreting coming on? Turks and Caicos - 1 case, so I'm sure some of your clients are on their way there now

BritishHobo

I can't lie, I'm getting pretty scared. I'm a fat cunt and I'm going into an office every day where there's not a huge amount of cleaning, where there's one bottle of handwash, where despite sitting apart, we're all still moving near each other and touching the same printers and surfaces. We're most of us doing non-essential work and getting patronised with messages of 'no, it is essential!' from up top which is roundly not what any of us want to hear. We KNOW what we're doing is not essential. We don't want to be patronised into pretending it is, we want to go home. I'm not normally one to be panicked by the news, but whenever I'm seeing a story about a younger person dying (including one today from my area), I'm really fucking dwelling on it.

Danger Man

On my walk to the shop and back I saw a rat.

Bit scared.

Buelligan

That was your reflection, you fool.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteI can't lie, I'm getting pretty scared

I would be too, sometimes lieing is a necessary social kindness.

Dewt

I didn't imagine BritishHobo as a fat cunt full of haslet

BritishHobo

It's pork pies mainly. About two decades' worth.

If I survive this I'm gonna become like Eddie Izzard. Marathon a day. Maybe every other, and Saturdays off.