Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:33:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Be honest - how scared are you?

Started by Cerys, March 17, 2020, 12:55:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

?

Fucking terrified - I don't want to die
13 (8.9%)
Fucking terrified - I don't want my elderly loved ones to die
45 (30.8%)
Rational - we can weather this
51 (34.9%)
Looking forward to the peace, quiet and inheritance
10 (6.8%)
Not arsed, cigs
27 (18.5%)

Total Members Voted: 146

GMTV

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 17, 2020, 09:39:00 AM
Hence a duty to keep sensationalism/exaggeration to a minimum.

The media can't seem to help themselves, they need to ramp it up several levels above whatever the current situation is. Most on this site will have a fairly good grasp of that (Chris Morris) but it's still really easy to get caught up in it all.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: vainsharpdad on March 17, 2020, 09:23:08 AM
But I work in IT, can WFH easily and have just bought Hitman 1 & 2 to play on the Xbo - so that's about a 2

Don't bother installing Hitman 1, mate, just validate you've got the Legacy DLC for Hitman 2 (you should do if you've played Hitman 1 once) and you can play both of them from the Hitman 2 app!

Norton Canes

Bricking it... until I saw this photo, currently at the top of the BBC live updates page

This could basically be how I go out. Except not with one foot on a chair.

Chollis

Around a 2 I reckon. Feel fine for myself, it's all a bit of a jolly what with the working from home and such. But do feel for those less fortunate than me, working in the health service, elderly relatives, no sick pay etc. Morbidly curious as to how bad it will get in the summer or later if this is just the beginning.

massive bereavement

It's really hit me this morning going to the supermarket. They've been out of loo rolls and pasta for a while but today, a Tuesday workday at 9am, it's chaos, empty shelves everywhere, queues at checkouts, it's as bad as the weekend before Xmas.

I don't drive so I'm worried it'll get to the stage where it will be unsafe to carry bags of shopping out in the open because you'll likely get mugged. The news last night that first food bank has had to close because nobody is donating anymore was proper grim. We haven't even entered lockdown phase yet, this is madness.

bgmnts

I have noticed there is a link between constantly exposing yourself to sensationalist news media and fear and anxiety.

Hmmm.

GMTV

Quote from: massive bereavement on March 17, 2020, 10:23:28 AM
It's really hit me this morning going to the supermarket. They've been out of loo rolls and pasta for a while but today, a Tuesday workday at 9am, it's chaos, empty shelves everywhere, queues at checkouts, it's as bad as the weekend before Xmas.

I don't drive so I'm worried it'll get to the stage where it will be unsafe to carry bags of shopping out in the open because you'll likely get mugged. The news last night that first food bank has had to close because nobody is donating anymore was proper grim. We haven't even entered lockdown phase yet, this is madness.

A bit of moderate short term stockpiling at this stage is probably a good thing. Gets the supply chains cranking out at maximum rate and ensures everyone has a small buffer for any possible supply interruptions. Once everyone's got a cupboard full of pasta they'll probably never get through it should hopefully settle down.

Buelligan

I think you're probably correct, restocking shops whilst manufacturers and transporters are functioning normally, as long as people in need have food - that's the worry of course, that some may be left with nothing and there doesn't seem to be anyone checking that.  I hope people are checking that.

Danger Man

Quote from: bgmnts on March 17, 2020, 10:24:22 AM
I have noticed there is a link between constantly exposing yourself to sensationalist news media and fear and anxiety.

Hmmm.

Daily Mail is claiming that the UK could be on lockdown for 18 months. I suppose the readership can keep warm by burning all their Keep Calm and Carry On posters.

GMTV

Quote from: Buelligan on March 17, 2020, 10:36:06 AM
I think you're probably correct, restocking shops whilst manufacturers and transporters are functioning normally, as long as people in need have food - that's the worry of course, that some may be left with nothing and there doesn't seem to be anyone checking that.  I hope people are checking that.

This is when the media can do positive things and highlight food banks are running low and we should be considerate. A couple of extra bags of pasta is fine, but if you've got ten bags in your cupboard then think about taking a few to the food bank.

Inspector Norse

Am I worried about me, personally, getting the virus? Not hugely: I am a fit, healthy man in my mid-30s with a strong immune system: I almost never get fevers, the only illnesses I ever really get are light colds and the occasional bout of the winter vomiting thing that kids pass around every year.

But I'm worried about my girlfriend, who had pneumonia in January and was bedridden for two weeks with suspiciously coronaesque symptoms. If her lungs and system are still weak from that.
I'm worried about my daughter, who has a bit of asthma, even if kids are supposedly well able to cope with the virus.
I'm worried about my mother-in-law[nb]OK I'm not married, so technically my girlfriend's mother, but let's just call them in-laws[/nb], who is in her 70s and has some health problems although none of the ones on the serious list. My father-in-law is also in his 70s but generally healthier, but still he's quite old you know?

And then my family: when my parents retired a few years ago, they finally realised their lifelong bourgeois dream of buying and doing up a house in France, and my siblings and I all stay there regularly in summer and were set to go there at Easter, which is of course off; now my dad is stuck there where he's been cutting grass and fixing lightswitches while my mum was still home in England, and he doesn't know if he can go back on the ferry they hurriedly booked for him tomorrow, and he's diabetic, although "only" 66 and in good health. And my sister lives in Barcelona, and my brother in, um, Withington, so who knows when we'll all get to see each other again?

And I'm scared about what's going to happen to life and society: most places are already locked down and it feels like it's only a matter of time here. How long will it last? What will happen to our jobs, to our cultural and social lives? Will things get back to normal? How will we cope if this goes on for months or longer?

And if we do get locked down here, what the fuck do you do if you're shut inside for two weeks with two kids? There's only so many times you can play Catan Junior and Frozen Pairs. I think it might be time to get the old TV and Xbox 360 out of the attic and rig them up in my son's room. Yes I know he's only six but the skills he will learn from GTA V will be useful if society collapses.

So I'm about a 4 Bob.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The shortages are not just due to stockpiling tin-hatters. If we all suddenly buy double of our usual items, as most 'sensible' people are doing, then supermarkets will struggle to supply that level of stock.

What will restore psychological calm is full or even tidy shelves, lending the impression there aren't/won't be shortages and rules limiting the maximum number of purchases.

When it physically looks like shelves have been raided this creates the sensation it might be the last chance to buy items.

What has surprised me is just how shit and unprepared some supermarkets have been for this predictable turn of events.

Quote from: Buelligan on March 17, 2020, 07:19:14 AM
I worry about my beloved brother, he is my soul's companion, he has MS

My son in law has MS (late 20s) and him and my daughter are expecting their first baby in 10 weeks. Late 70s parents as well, these are my immediate priority.

It's the financial/economic breakdown that is my slightly longer worry.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 17, 2020, 10:44:45 AM
What has surprised me is just how shit and unprepared some supermarkets have been for this predictable turn of events.

It's not only the supermarkets, it's the whole just-in-time supply chain.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Better Midlands on March 17, 2020, 10:51:23 AM
It's not only the supermarkets, it's the whole just-in-time supply chain.

Aye, I was thinking about that yesterday at some point. Not that it needed exposing any further but does demonstrate their underlying interests are not public-minded but working to the slimmest margins possible.

Interesting now certain suppliers will be able to call the shots.

GMTV

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 17, 2020, 10:44:45 AM
The shortages are not just due to stockpiling tin-hatters. If we all suddenly buy double of our usual items, as most 'sensible' people are doing, then supermarkets will struggle to supply that level of stock.

What will restore confidence is full shelves, the impression there won't be shortages and rules limiting the maximum number of purchases.

When it physically looks like shelves have been raided this creates the sensation it might be the last chance to buy items.

Getting the supermarkets to struggle at this point is good, it gets as much food out there as possible whilst there's no actual infrastructure disruption. Also hopefully heinz are on double shifts and firing out as many Tins of tomato soup that they can whilst their staff are fit and healthy, and kids in school etc.

People walking into tesco and buying a year's worth of meat to cram into a gigantic freezer is shite obviously. But if everyone has a few Tins of soup etc to feed themselves for a fortnight whilst self isolating I think that's perfectly sensible and actually the most helpful thing to do.

vainsharpdad

Quote from: H-O-W-L on March 17, 2020, 09:47:26 AM
Don't bother installing Hitman 1, mate, just validate you've got the Legacy DLC for Hitman 2 (you should do if you've played Hitman 1 once) and you can play both of them from the Hitman 2 app!

That's what I did, yeah. Plenty to keep me busy, there.

Thomas

In the short term I'm selfishly concerned about my grandpa's vulnerability and that the small business I very happily work for might vanish; myself and three others would lose lovely jobs in the most comfortable workplace I've ever witnessed (very good boss), and paying the rent would swiftly become impossible.

In the long term, total socio-economic collapse. Which would at least solve the rent problem, I suppose.

Barry Admin

I'm really glad you started this thread Cerys.  Yesterday I made a brief post about how I was shiteing it, just as I was starting to go into a bit of an anxiety tailspin, but quickly removed it as I felt it was unhelpful and irresponsible.  Having this thread to talk honestly about how it's affecting people is actually really helpful, I feel.  As Buelligan said, sometimes you need a cry, and it's true also that sometimes you need to talk about scary shit so it loses some of its power. 

Plus the fourth poll option gave me a good laugh. 

bgmnts

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/us-sales-guns-ammunition-soar-amid-coronavirus-panic-buying

Unless you're scared enough to start panic buying guns, for literally no reason whatsoever, you're alright.

Shaky

I was pretty unconcerned until I had a big chat with a workmate/friend today, and she made some very good points about how large this thing is. Even then, while I can picture reliable structures collapsing as we move forward, it still feels a bit like a dream.

Having said that, I'm finally down to one toilet roll and haven't been able to find any more after being OK with the stuff for the last 2 weeks. Feels like a stark, immediate reminder of what's happening out there.

On a final note that makes me sounds like a self-centered twat - I'm supposed to have a first date with a lovely woman on Thursday and it's likely not going to happen now.

Replies From View

Quote from: Danger Man on March 17, 2020, 08:59:49 AM
Health 1/10

Football  10/10

Not the most useful card in an astronaut-themed Top Trumps game, but hold onto it anyway just in case.

Euro 2020 has apparently been postponed for a year.  I hope that when it comes back they keep the old year with it.

bgmnts

I tell you what though, this whole thing has made me scared for what would happen if it were a proper threat, like a widespread ebola or a SARS or whatever. How unprepared we are and how selfish and stupid we all are. I genuinely think there'd be mass looting and killing in the streets over the last 24 pack of bogroll and king size pot noodles.

That's pretry deflating.

Buelligan

Don't be deflated.  Buy a massive gun.

Replies From View

Quote from: bgmnts on March 17, 2020, 12:36:02 PM
I tell you what though, this whole thing has made me scared for what would happen if it were a proper threat, like a widespread ebola or a SARS or whatever. How unprepared we are and how selfish and stupid we all are. I genuinely think there'd be mass looting and killing in the streets over the last 24 pack of bogroll and king size pot noodles.

That's pretry deflating.

Same here.  We're a fragile species when it comes down to it.  Some people travel so much that we're all pretty much doomed if we're faced with a contagious virus that's considerably more deadly than this.

All doomed because of a handful of rich, selfish wankers.  Who'd have thought.

Replies From View

Quote from: Buelligan on March 17, 2020, 12:45:56 PM
Don't be deflated.  Buy a massive gun.

I'd recommend a puncture repair kit, personally.

Your solution to everything is to make more holes!

Buelligan

Nothing eternal is solid Viewsy, just look at Time.  Or Space.

Replies From View

Quote from: Buelligan on March 17, 2020, 12:57:55 PM
Nothing eternal is solid Viewsy, just look at Time.  Or Space.

I thought you were going to lay off the subliminal All Bran advertising for a while.

Ferris

3/10.

Main concern is my son and elderly relatives. If it was just me and the Mrs, I'd phone work and tell them I'm sick then have a 2 week PlayStation party.

QDRPHNC

Stupid question. Should we be eating less? I'm thinking yes, but I don't want to be going all survivalist too soon. Still, seems to be we really don't know what the state of the place will be next week, so best to make what food we do have last as long as possible.