Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:54:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Be honest - how scared are you?

Started by Cerys, March 17, 2020, 12:55:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

?

Fucking terrified - I don't want to die
13 (8.9%)
Fucking terrified - I don't want my elderly loved ones to die
45 (30.8%)
Rational - we can weather this
51 (34.9%)
Looking forward to the peace, quiet and inheritance
10 (6.8%)
Not arsed, cigs
27 (18.5%)

Total Members Voted: 146

Head Gardener

I have seen every episode of The Walking Dead so am convinced I'll be fine

jobotic

If I continue to cack it like I am I'll be eating less. No appetite.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Head Gardener on March 17, 2020, 01:40:09 PM
I have seen every episode of The Walking Dead so am convinced I'll be fine

Christ. Although reassuring to know that there are some things more depressing than Coronavirus.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 17, 2020, 09:39:00 AM
Hence a duty to keep sensationalism/exaggeration to a minimum.

Are you saying... "Keep calm and carry on"?

massive bereavement

Quote from: QDRPHNC on March 17, 2020, 01:36:41 PM
Stupid question. Should we be eating less? I'm thinking yes, but I don't want to be going all survivalist too soon. Still, seems to be we really don't know what the state of the place will be next week, so best to make what food we do have last as long as possible.

Yes. I'm overweight, so I'd have a better chance with the virus if I lost a stone or two.
Whilst I was eating my dinner earlier, I did think "Will I still be eating something this tasty in three months time? Or will I be sucking on dry pasta until it's soft enough to pass on to my youngest."

Pseudopath

Do love your avatar, massive bereavement. What a great juxtaposition.

Capt.Midnight

Quote from: QDRPHNC on March 17, 2020, 01:36:41 PM
Stupid question. Should we be eating less? I'm thinking yes, but I don't want to be going all survivalist too soon. Still, seems to be we really don't know what the state of the place will be next week, so best to make what food we do have last as long as possible.

Well, I for one am eating all my shit pasta now. After work, I'm nipping to John Lewis to buy an Ooni outdoor pizza oven. I will then survive solely off home-made wood fired pizzas whilst the world burns. You've got to ride this out in style.

Quote from: Zetetic on March 17, 2020, 07:18:48 AM
It is not clear than two or three weeks is going to achieve this to a meaningful degree. We're probably looking at months of similar measures if want to get the bump to something half-way tolerable.

This is an extremely optimistic reading of the situation in China and its long-term measures.

Sensationalist and wrong.

And the situation in China is an objective fact - they have slowed the growth in new cases, which is the entire point of all these measures.

Quote from: Pseudopath on March 17, 2020, 01:50:29 PM
Do love your avatar, massive bereavement. What a great juxtaposition.

Has Ant got his driving license back now?

jobotic

I feel more sad and doomed now. Reading my happy little three year old girl a story last night, and my eight year old son saying it will be okay because the scientists will find a cure make my heart break. He's probably right in the long run but what will things be like by then? Fuuuck

edit: I know this is to do with my anxiety more than anything, although i didn't have this before.

bgmnts

Quote from: jobotic on March 17, 2020, 02:16:26 PM
I feel more sad and doomed now. Reading my happy little three year old girl a story last night, and my eight year old son saying it will be okay because the scientists will find a cure make my heart break. He's probably right in the long run but what will things be like by then? Fuuuck

Probably fine.

Quote from: jobotic on March 17, 2020, 02:16:26 PM

A cure is not necessary! This is not a virus that people should be afraid of just because governments are (somewhat surprisingly) implementing reasonable measures to avoid overwhelming fragile healthcare systems.

On the other hand, there is almost certainly a major economic recession in the works that will have long-reaching effects, but it is not going to seriously destabilize society any more than 2008 did. When society is in the least threatened then governments reveal the secret that is always there, which is that they can easily implement massive social expenditures to help all of those in need (they just chose not do so until being forced by circumstances)

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on March 17, 2020, 01:44:10 PM
Are you saying... "Keep calm and carry on"?

Heh.

I prefer the more direct wording I chose!

I recall the now dried out dessicated memeified commodified husk of a slogan above was chosen in a truly desperate situation where our populace were being indiscriminately bombed. There was no real choice but to wake up, do your rounds and hope you got lucky, because home was no refuge.

While mass human behaviour is nearly always revolting, our abilities to adapt and survive during hardship is extraordinary*. The Royals and UK Government would never issue such a positive statement though, they would rather we worms Keep Calm and Carry On.

*with exceptions of Black Death, etc where we had no tools to fight it

Famous Mortimer

I don't feel worried. This guy I work with is a supply chain expert, and he's saying "they've not stopped making the stuff for supermarket shelves, it's just all you bell-ends are buying too much of it" (he's a bit more polite than that). So, my hope is that every fuckwit with a chest freezer has done stocking up for the apocalypse in the next week, and then the shelves can start to refill sensibly. I live in a pretty poor area, too, so it's not like my neighbours have got thousands to be spending on supplied anyway.

Quote from: batwings on March 17, 2020, 08:33:56 AM
I'm ok during the day but this whole thing is playing havoc with my insomnia. Mostly too tired to feel worried when i'm up but also too worried to sleep properly of a night.

Same here, I don't feel too worried, but I'm not sleeping so I clearly am

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 17, 2020, 02:25:36 PM
I don't feel worried. This guy I work with is a supply chain expert, and he's saying "they've not stopped making the stuff for supermarket shelves, it's just all you bell-ends are buying too much of it" (he's a bit more polite than that). So, my hope is that every fuckwit with a chest freezer has done stocking up for the apocalypse in the next week, and then the shelves can start to refill sensibly. I live in a pretty poor area, too, so it's not like my neighbours have got thousands to be spending on supplied anyway.

I live near a supermarket and it is reassuring to watch all the mini-muffin trucks drive by business as usual.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The guy calling people bellends doesn't understand basic human psychology then.

If the supermarket appears cleared out of stock then shoppers will hurry to take what remains, tenfold if there's something like this on.

However if they put the required stock people are focusing on buying:

- Loo roll
- Hand sanitizer
- Paracetamol
- Pasta, rice, sauce... Weirdly oven chips, apparently?!

... Front and centre of their stores day and night, while enforcing the stock restrictions as though it was the law, then this situation would be back under control very quickly.

People are not stockpiling it because they are scared of the virus but because they don't want to not be able to easily access it and fear it will run out.

Uncle TechTip

I'm worried that scrotes will instantly buy up the toilet paper and sell it for a mark up. I hope the supermarkets have the sense to ration.

Buelligan

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on March 17, 2020, 01:56:13 PM
And the situation in China is an objective fact - they have slowed the growth in new cases, which is the entire point of all these measures.

Given that (presumably) this all started with one case and given that there are still cases in China, even though they've practiced these measures, and given that AFAIK, no one has established how long this virus can survive and remain viable outside of a host, how long would you say total lockdown would need to be maintained to enable 7.8 billion-ish potential hosts to be manageably processed?

Sin Agog

Quote from: Buelligan on March 17, 2020, 02:44:31 PM
Given that (presumably) this all started with one case and given that there are still cases in China, even though they've practiced these measures, and given that AFAIK, no one has established how long this virus can survive and remain viable outside of a host, how long would you say total lockdown would need to be maintained to enable 7.8 billion-ish potential hosts to be manageably processed?

Six.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

For a bit.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 17, 2020, 02:33:46 PM
The guy calling people bellends doesn't understand basic human psychology then.

If the supermarket appears cleared out of stock then shoppers will hurry to take what remains, tenfold if there's something like this on.

However if they put the required stock people are focusing on buying:

- Loo roll
- Hand sanitizer
- Paracetamol
- Pasta, rice, sauce... Weirdly oven chips, apparently?!

... Front and centre of their stores day and night, while enforcing the stock restrictions as though it was the law, then this situation would be back under control very quickly.

People are not stockpiling it because they are scared of the virus but because they don't want to not be able to easily access it and fear it will run out.
Thank you, person who's suddenly become an expert in human psychology (and epidemiology, and whatever else you've been pontificating about) in the last week. Please, tell me more!

Chollis

Anyone stocking up on food and bog roll then? Haven't as of yet because I've been fairly cigs about it all, can't help wonder if I should start though.

Dewt

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 17, 2020, 02:49:06 PM
Thank you, person who's suddenly become an expert in human psychology (and epidemiology, and whatever else you've been pontificating about) in the last week. Please, tell me more!
I too would like to hear more from the person who related to his first human last week after reading a pamphlet about it

The goal is not eradication, it's slowing exponential growth to avoid the severe effects of a pandemic. That's all that is required for a relatively tame virus like Covid-19.

Buelligan

That's exactly what I was asking/saying.  I wasn't talking about eradication, I was talking about management.

Kryton

No reply from my Landlord regarding what I'll do regarding rent, should I self isolate.
They'll probably just expect me to keep working, which is more or less what my bosses want me to do.

purlieu

Quote from: Kryton on March 17, 2020, 03:05:29 PM
No reply from my Landlord regarding what I'll do regarding rent, should I self isolate.
If you aren't earning over a certain threshold, you should be able to claim housing benefit.

El Unicornio, mang

I'm ok with the self isolation. I honestly think I could live comfortably for several months just with films, music, TV shows, model painting, video games, making creative things, and my cat to keep me company. That's 90% of my life anyway, particularly as I work from home. As long as I know there will eventually be a chance for social interaction. But I worry about people like my Mum who is over 70, has some health issues and is an extremely outgoing, social person. And the scenes of people getting what they can for themselves is troubling, although there's a lot of kindness being shown too. But a grim post-apocalyptic type scenario looks worryingly real.

Noonling

I'm a 2/10.

I'm fine, my job will be fine, if it isn't I have savings. I'm the reeds in the fable, always been pretty flexible in life and there's also not much in my life to cling onto anyway. Depression without anxiety is pretty great now I guess.

I guess if my dad died I'd be sad (he's just finished chemo so presumably has a lower immune system), but otherwise I don't care about him. Don't care about any old people. I have one friend with asthma, but she's in her early 20s, she'd be alright.  Other friends are obviously suffering with varying amounts of anxiety, but I'm confident their feelings will be temporary, and they will pull through to the other side.

Was probably a 1/10 until yesterday when I realised my friend's small business seems unlikely to survive this. And obviously it is disruptive to so many other people whether regarding their loved ones, jobs, childcare etc, it's hard not to absorb some of that anxiety even if my life itself will be fine. Tomorrow will be my first full day working from home and that should help, as my manager (lovely though she is) oozes anxiety and corona is literally all anyone can talk about.

My only news source is the front page of BBC and CaB. I haven't been seeking out news really - it's all quite boring and repetitive and I'm only looking out for the BANTER in all this.