Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:05:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Grocery shopping

Started by peanutbutter, March 17, 2020, 01:25:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutbutter

so I've pretty packed shelves, apparently I was always preparing for this day. Fairly short on coffee though, be nice to have a few cans too, and I need to top up the electricity metre. Maybe a fruit would be nice as well, got none of them.

When's a good time to go grocery shopping? and if I cough or sneeze will someone wind up battering me to death?

JesusAndYourBush

The best time to go shopping is on a weekday in the morning.  The shelves are stocked in the morning and many people are at work.  Try and avoid shopping at the weekend as that's when the locusts descent on the supermarkets in hordes.

Bought some funfetti cake mix but the store was out of eggs. Fucking disaster.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on March 17, 2020, 01:46:43 AM
Bought some funfetti cake mix but the store was out of eggs. Fucking disaster.
can sell you two eggs for 1 bitcoin

peanutbutter

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on March 17, 2020, 01:39:55 AM
The best time to go shopping is on a weekday in the morning.  The shelves are stocked in the morning and many people are at work.  Try and avoid shopping at the weekend as that's when the locusts descent on the supermarkets in hordes.
isnt there a thing going on in lotsa shops where only olds can shop in the morning atm? I don't wanna bother walking all the way to the shops to discover I'm too young to buy coffee.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: peanutbutter on March 17, 2020, 01:48:46 AM
isnt there a thing going on in lotsa shops where only olds can shop in the morning atm? I don't wanna bother walking all the way to the shops to discover I'm too young to buy coffee.

No idea.  I read someone suggesting the idea a few days ago, don't know which stores (if any) have implemented the idea.

Dewt

I spent $20 on Red Bull (RED BULL IS REALLY EXPENSIVE HERE) because I am having that head pain again that I think might be associated with caffeine withdrawal, so it's basically medicine. Also I've been sleeping most of the day and I need to pretend that isn't COVID.

Bought some multivitamins because I don't have many fresh or green things left to eat.

A big can of soup that I ended up plonking in the food bank box because that's the kind of guy I am, right. Weird.

I think I'm all set to not go outside for a full week now, with my three bankers boxes full of dry food and a freezer full of the absolute worst meat money can buy.

Currently living mostly on homemade sesame prawn toasts. Did you know you can air fry them and they come out great? Stack 'em in the freezer, it's like having a Chinese takeaway on demand.

Head Gardener

Inspector Norse

Quote from: peanutbutter on March 17, 2020, 01:25:57 AM
When's a good time to go grocery shopping?

Wednesday 9am-11am at Iceland

Icehaven

We've been benefitting from people's apparent lack of imagination as while the shelves of the local Lidl were completely devoid of toilet roll, pasta, most tins, meat and various other things yesterday the Polish supermarket a few hundred yards down the road, and directly opposite our flat, still has everything in abundance. Doubt it'll last as the locusts spread down the road though. I have no intention of (or room for) stockpiling but when you know if you leave it another day or two the shelves could well be empty what are you supposed to do?

Inspector Norse

Quote from: icehaven on March 18, 2020, 10:12:59 AM
I have no intention of (or room for) stockpiling but when you know if you leave it another day or two the shelves could well be empty what are you supposed to do?

Yeah exactly. A few people buying everything up means everyone else needs to grab things while they can, because we know it'll be gone otherwise. I bought four packets of pasta yesterday because well, I'd noticed the shops were short and we eat a lot of pasta at home. And the other day I had to buy a big pack of toilet roll, the last one in the shop because again, we were running out.

Nobody seems to be buying frozen food for some reason though, there's loads left. Maybe they're assuming the power will go down in a few days.

Icehaven

Quote from: Inspector Norse on March 18, 2020, 10:18:24 AM

Nobody seems to be buying frozen food for some reason though, there's loads left. Maybe they're assuming the power will go down in a few days.

If the lack of meat and veg in our local Lidl yesterday is anything to go by presumably people are buying fresh stuff and freezing it.
We've only got a small fridge with a shoebox sized freezer at the top so no point in buying much frozen stuff really.

massive bereavement

Eggs are past their use by date in 2-3 weeks, so why are people going crazy with those? The store I went into was completely out of potatoes as well.

PA announcement that people should shop responsibly came over just as I found some Quorn sausages and was picking up two packs, I then put one back.

Buelligan

Potatoes keep for ages (as long as they're somewhere cool, dry and dark) so I can understand the run on potatoes - you can make great snap with them and very little else.  The egg thing, though, I agree, unless they're all making their own pasta and freezing it I suppose. 

Rich Uncle Skeleton

People from Aussie cities where the demand is obviously impossible to satisfy have now started chartering busses to remote country towns to pick their supermarkets clean instead, leaving locals with basically nothing. Nice..

Plus who the hell thinks jumping on a bus full of people for hours is a good idea right now?

Buelligan

Dex Sawash

Bananas all gone from stores. I suppose the supply is carefully metered to normal demand so of course it is just increased number of shoppers grabbing a less few. Nevermind.

Head Gardener

In Tesco earlier I took my quorn mince to the front facing till and the woman behind the counter said "please step back 2 paces" this I duly did and after telling me to pay £3.99 I leaned forward to swipe my card like that scene at the start of The Blues Brothers muttering FFS under my breath and left grumping. Told the missus what had happened and she bollocked me for swearing in a supermarket, can't win...

Dewt

If it was a fish and chip shop I'd make a joke about how you shouldn't swear in a house of cod

But it wasn't

massive bereavement

batwings

Had my Tesco delivery as usual today. Only a couple of substitutions, which is pretty typical. We kept it to the bare minimum, just essentials and in the usual amounts.

weekender

£3 for 2 if you buy Mini Kievs on a multi-deal, get the fuck in.

chveik

heard about someone spending 900€ in a supermarket on monday, and then coming back on wednesday for 700€ more. fucking maniac

Buelligan

Maybe they feed a lot of cats.

Update: got the eggs for the funfetti

Endicott

Quote from: Head Gardener on March 19, 2020, 06:16:13 PM
In Tesco earlier I took my quorn mince to the front facing till and the woman behind the counter said "please step back 2 paces" this I duly did and after telling me to pay £3.99 I leaned forward to swipe my card like that scene at the start of The Blues Brothers muttering FFS under my breath and left grumping. Told the missus what had happened and she bollocked me for swearing in a supermarket, can't win...

You should have asked for 'one prophylactic, used'.

QDRPHNC

Just got back from Loblaws, a big supermarket down the street. It was hiving last week, but aside from some empty shelves, today felt completely normal, maybe more customers than normal, but no long line-ups. Glad to say I haven't seen a single freakout, argument or fight break out yet.

peanutbutter

Quote from: massive bereavement on March 18, 2020, 10:48:46 AM
Eggs are past their use by date in 2-3 weeks, so why are people going crazy with those?
Shove eggs in the fridge and they last fucking ages though.

The co-op beside me was pretty well stocked until today, the Tesco was absolutely gutted yesterday

Buelligan

You should never keep eggs in the fridge.  Only a barbarian would propose such a thing.

olliebean

Dip the fuckers in oil, then. Oiled-up eggs keep for ages, apparently.