Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:57:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Grocery shopping

Started by peanutbutter, March 17, 2020, 01:25:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chollis

Tesco delivery has 0 slots available for the next 3 weeks. Fucked it.

idunnosomename

i just have a big wank in the morning then wipe all the cum off my chest into my coffee

Rev+

The problem with shopping 'as little as possible' is that you can't - I've had to go to the local SAINO'S megastore daily to stitch together something resembling a normal weekly shop from what the panic wankers leave behind.  No fresh veg or meat for several days, and they've not had anything frozen for about a week.  Everything else flicks on and off like a dodgy light:  today there was no bread, tomorrow there might be.

I don't understand the still ongoing bog roll and pasta situation.  Surely if you're planning on living on the latter you'll need a lot less of the former.

honeychile

Quote from: DolphinFace on March 23, 2020, 09:28:21 PMBut we go through 12 liters of milk a week in my house

Relationship with Cleopatra "costlier than i expected" admits partner

Sebastian Cobb

No it's Sheep you milk, Goats are the man-ones.

Gregory Torso

I've got four rolls of toilet paper, half a bottle of jamesons, two cup o'soups, its dark out and i'm wearing sunglasses. LOCKDOWN

massive bereavement

Every other self checkout now closed to distance people. Pretty quiet this morning, finally got eggs and ketchup. Barely anything in the frozen section but fresh food well stocked. Not shopping again until Friday, might even leave it until next week.

ollyboro

Tracking down a Swingball set has proved to be impossible. I've had to improvise with a broom handle, a piece of twine, two pans and Nan's colostomy bag. Just wish I'd emptied the bag before serving.

El Unicornio, mang

I ordered a pack of yeast so I can make my own bread. Said it got dispatched today. Expected delivery date: May 9th

idunnosomename

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 23, 2020, 11:52:09 PM
i just have a big wank in the morning then wipe all the cum off my chest into my coffee
i greatly regret this post

Spoon of Ploff

Got the last tin of Cream of Tomato Soup from the 'big' Sainsbury's this morning. Felt a strange mixture of triumph and shame.

Buelligan

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on March 24, 2020, 09:51:05 AM
I ordered a pack of yeast so I can make my own bread. Said it got dispatched today. Expected delivery date: May 9th

Never fear, make sourdough - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FVfJTGpXnU

Head Gardener

Asda veg and fruit racks all full this morning in Northampton, I saw no panic, no masks and no Russian vodka, damn...

massive bereavement

Quote from: Head Gardener on March 24, 2020, 10:21:35 AM
Asda veg and fruit racks all full this morning

I noted this too and I'm wondering if people are now being put off buying loose fruit and veg because of the threat of contamination. I had second thoughts about picking up ingredients for a lasagne this morning, you can't really do any more than rinse them off. Maybe boiling hot water would do it, cooking probably kills it, but just the thought of people with Covid-19 picking things up and putting them back puts me RIGHT OFF!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Killing germs is the main point of cooking food, so you're probably fine in that respect.

My sister has been insistently telling us to use cloth carrier bags and put them on a hot wash cycle after every shop, while giving all the packaging a through clean. It doesn't seem like a bad idea in theory, but I do wonder how practical it really is.

Buelligan

Just went to the shops with an unexpected friend, we did shopping for a few oldies too.  They handed over blank cheques and driver's licences/identity docs and we used that to pay.  Probably fifteen shoppers max, strolling about calmly selecting their shopping.  No empty shelves anywhere, in fact, many were fuller than normal.  I am not even lying.

Cloud

So, how are people coping with queues?  Generally in this country people absolutely would put the lives of themselves and others on the line if they're worried the gaps are too big and someone might (accidentally or otherwise) cut in etc.  And at the conveyor belt you always get some impatient sod behind trying to lean in and put their stuff on before you're able to move forward.   I've always given people in front a metre or two of space at the best of times (don't like crowding them especially when they're trying to pay and such) and have lost count of the number of "exCUSE me!!! Would you mind moving?" remarks from behind 10 seconds before I was going to be able to move anyway.

Need some essentials (beer and chocolate) but kinda bricking it a bit.  Hoping the convenience shop around the corner is quiet.   Just want to get the little pleasures in before any full lockdown that also bans food shopping (except perhaps in exceptional circumstances where the plod do it for you and give you a ticking off for not prepping)

Already since at least a week ago into the habit of using alcohol wipes on all tins, bottles, carrier bag handles, packets etc after bringing everything home.

weekender

Quote from: Cloud on March 24, 2020, 11:20:12 PM
So, how are people coping with queues?

Same as always, I'm avoiding them.

idunnosomename

i went back to the same aldi today and even though the car park was more empty than i have ever - literally - seen it, it had even more stock than yesterday. also half price tuscan sausage bake thing yeah baby get in.

Poobum

Did my first post lockdown shop as I was out of fresh veg for the guinea pigs. Wipes and hand gel at the entrance, Tesco worker good humouredly explaining one way in, keep your distance from other people, what have you. I am now acutely aware of how much I touch stuff when shopping; apparently I just put my grubby little fingers on everything. Ended up feeling guilty and self conscious so ended buying all kinds of rubbish because I'd instinctively poked so many things.

Capt.Midnight

Has flour returned to the shelves? Glad the supply chain appears to be slowly adapting.

Danger Man

Quote from: Poobum on March 25, 2020, 10:12:34 PM
Did my first post lockdown shop as I was out of fresh veg for the guinea pigs.

April 15th: I ate the last of the guinea pigs.....

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: Danger Man on March 25, 2020, 10:54:31 PM
April 15th: I ate the last of the guinea pigs.....

Peruvians would have them scarfed already.

Sherringford Hovis

Is there much yellow-stickered on-its-sell-by-date stuff about?

A tighter-than-a-gnats'-chuff miser, I rarely eat anything that's not reduced.

I'm so hungry

Head Gardener

Head Gardener

my shelves are getting low here

ollyboro

Quote from: Head Gardener on March 26, 2020, 10:32:01 AM

my shelves are getting low here

Shelf-isolation.

By the way, quite a high proportion of what's on your shelves are products suitable for smearing on your genitalia.

greencalx

Was at sainsbums at opening time (for non NHS people) this morning. Busy but orderly, and only two items proving tricky. When I went last week and the shelves were stripped bare, the only cereal remaining was Crunchy Bran, which my son gamely tried and decided he really liked. Oddly, this was the only cereal they didn't have today!

Still struggling to get my hands on junior paracetamol. Guessing the pharmacy should be able to provide some if the child does go down with the lurgy, but would be reassuring to have a bottle in stock.

Hopeful that things are now calming down to the point that I can revert to a weekly shop.

Buelligan

Can you do the online order and collect thing for the junior paracetamol?  I think shops like Boots are doing that.  I agree, if you've got a child at home having some junior paracetamol in the cupboard is reassuring.

peanutbutter

Was able to get store brand corn flakes (like fuck am I paying three times as much for the same thing) and eggs yesterday for the first time in a couple of weeks there yesterday. These queues look like a right fucking pain, do I really have to queue outside holland and barrett just to check if they've got the one thing I'm looking for?